Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/6/2021 2:43:06 PM EDT
We are looking to escape Nevada (mini california) and have been looking at Iowa.  Does anyone have any information on the hospitals in the area and if they are requiring the vax, especially Hampton, IA (FGH)??
Are there mask mandates there or not??
Are there areas to avoid, if so where?
We have 4 large dogs so will be looking for a small bit of land.  I don't think we would be very popular with our neighbors if we lived in town with a small yard and close neighbors as our dogs are quite a "talkative" bunch.
Thank you in advance for any information.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I know here in Quad Cities Trinity is mandating vaccines while Genesis is not but is penalizing those who don’t get it.

Not sure about UoI hospital.

Des Moines and Iowa City are the Dem heavy areas in the state but I would say Iowa City is worse off as the spoiled college kids there tend to protest and shut down I80 from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#2]
No mask mandates, the governor is quite adamant about that.  Mandatory vax so far appears uncommon but not unknown.  The medical facilities I go to are still requiring masks (Ames) and do the normal covid questions everytime you visit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Unity Point Health Systems is requiring the vax for all of their hospitals.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Mercy either has a vaccine mandate or is pushing for one. I don't remember which.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
University Hospitals have no Vax mandate, because 97% of employees are already vaccinated.  Kinda tells you the type of folks you'd be working with there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unity Point Health Systems is requiring the vax for all of their hospitals.
View Quote

They are also hemorrhaging employees.  There is a critical staffing shortage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Mercy One which has 6 locales across the state is requiring vax or their job. Seems to be quite afew against it. A lab tech t my doctor's and others in the area are against it and some have protested. I doubt it has had any affect but if they lose enough nurses maybe they will get the message.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
There have been 2 protests here at the local hospitals, one at Trinity over the requirement, and one at Genesis over the punishment for not getting it..

My girl works at Genesis and so far is not getting it, but they told her that there would be no cost of living adjustment, raises or bonuses for those that dont do it.  Promotions either, its either comply or your effed into the position you are in until you either, leave, comply or die
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are also hemorrhaging employees.  There is a critical staffing shortage.
View Quote

You don't have to tell me.  My wife will be leaving their employ over this.  This is how you win.  It will suck for the next several years at least, but the system needs to be destroyed so something better can be built.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We are looking to escape Nevada (mini california) and have been looking at Iowa.  Does anyone have any information on the hospitals in the area and if they are requiring the vax, especially Hampton, IA (FGH)??
Are there mask mandates there or not??
Are there areas to avoid, if so where?
We have 4 large dogs so will be looking for a small bit of land.  I don't think we would be very popular with our neighbors if we lived in town with a small yard and close neighbors as our dogs are quite a "talkative" bunch.
Thank you in advance for any information.
View Quote

if you do move Hampton is a pretty good town my family lives there small enough for no big stores i.e. Walmart or HyVee but has plenty small shops and a good grocery store. There is not a lot of "properties" lots of farms around the city. There is an active railroad (for crops and oil) straight through the town can get train locked from time to time if you are going a certain way.
Iowa Falls is about 20mins away probably has a few more options for properties but is bigger and a college town.

no clue on vax at the hospital but no masks
sister in law works at the nursing home requires the shot

they do have a few nicer small shooting ranges in nearby small towns

last thing there is a tiny ass town i.e. 60 people south of Hampton about 15 mins away Bradford Iowa houses are cheap when they list like $30K to $50K there is a gain elevator there multiple dogs should be alright one of my brothers lives there had 3 dogs at one point
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not in healthcare but I can tell you that moving to Iowa 4 years ago was the second best decision I've ever made behind marrying my wife. The state has been so good to us.

Good luck finding a home wherever you choose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Iowa is a good place to live. Stay away from Iowa City unless you like commies. There are a ton of nursing jobs in the southeast part of the state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you all for all the information!!  We are still looking and trying to just let God lead us to where He has planned.  
It's tough to watch and wait but, like my mother always told me, I will not pray for patience because then God will give me all kinds of situations in which to practice!!
If any new info comes out I would be most thankful for it!!
Bless you!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Unity point is accepting religious exemptions.  If you write one make sure you consult an attorney about how it is worded.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Iowa is a good place to live. Stay away from Iowa City unless you like commies. There are a ton of nursing jobs in the southeast part of the state.
View Quote

No joke seen someone is trying to start a homeless camp on riverside drive today a tent no poles draped on a tipped over shopping cart

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you so much for the information!!  
Hampton is one of the areas that we have been looking at going.
Do you know what the local laws are about shooting on your own property?

Again, thank you so much for responding with such detail!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top