Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2018 9:32:34 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I'm heading down to the keys with the future Wife in a couple weeks.  We are renting a car from Miami and driving down without much planned ahead.

Any must have sights or things to do?  I never trust these tourist blogs.

We also wanted to do some fishing but my experience is that charters more or less take you for an expensive boat ride.  Is there someone that you would recommend and is the fishing worthwhile?  I get spoiled in the midwest!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Key West currently. I go a lot for work. Have been told a lot to check out the Dry Tortugas but still haven't gotten around to it. It looks awesome. I'm local to SWFL so I don't know any charters here in the Keys.

Been to the treasure museum and that was cool. The Mallory square area has some touristy stuff. Aquarium is alright. Unless you bring your own boat there isn't a whole lot to do here IMHO unless you like bars/hanging out at beaches and stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Tortugas is a must see.  Take the seaplane if you can swing it.  I'd say a flats fishing trip would be more fun than bumping baits on the bottom.  Dinner on sunset key is awesome.   We had great meal at La Trattoria if you're craving Italian. The Hog's Breath rum runner is better that the one at Sloppy Joe's. Eat as many fish sandwiches as you can.  Most places in the Keys do them right.  Hemingway house is a cool distraction for a couple hours. It's cash only for admission. Mel's museum was kind of underwhelming to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hemingway House.  Especially if you like cats.

bar-crawling on Duval Street
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mel Fisher Treasure Museum

Capt. Tony's Saloon for cheap beer and cheaper atmosphere. It was one time "Sloppy Joe's" and one of Heminway's haunts.

take in The Pete & Wayne Show at Sloppy Joe's on Thursday & Fridays from 5:30pm to 9:30pm (check the schedule). You will both laugh your asses off for four hours!

The Ghost bus trolley  tour is one of the best I have ever been on (and I go to one in every big city that offers them)

Try Capt. Chris Norwood at Florida Straits Diving for fishing. One of the best charter Captains I have ever gone out with. Kinda gruff, like a verbally abusive grandfather, but he knows how to catch fish!
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Down opposite end of street from Mallory Square is a Butterfly Conservancy.

It is all humidity controlled.

Neat butterflys, couple of swans, turtles and birds.

Only been there a couple of years.

It's a little different.

Also, try the cemetary.

Besides the history you could see druggies, drunks, whores and lots of iguanas living in the graves.

Yer welcome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Google the Duval st cams and watch after dark. That's about all there is to do there. Went last year did all the tourist stuff but really limited our activity to day light. Place is gorgeous but turns into frat party after dark. Try Charlie macs, food was very good beer as well. Also new york pasta garden. We did a ton of walking enjoying the cats and chickens everywhere, and taking in the cool homes and buildings. Bring lots of money. Ton of shopping to do. Bring your camera, the ride in and out in rt1 is worthy of some pictures. Be patient on the ride in. 2 Lane rd and could get congested. Safe travels. Where you staying?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Not this trip but the next time .

Bring a boat and Lower Keys chart ... Stay around  Big Pine Key area, book rooms for  five days .Learn  the local back water ...fish from sun up until 11 am.  go back to dock and chill , eat , have fun. come back out around 4 pm  , fish until you can find the dock safely .  Then go to local bars and find a good time .

Fish first two days ...rent taxi to Duval and tell taxi to meet right there at 3am to drive you back ...best 100 bucks you ever spent . Get  hammered and have fun...)

Fish the next two and learn local waters and cool stuff ... Key West in fun but so is the Middle Keys ...Have done the above twice a year since 78

This trip will be to plan the next ones ...Have Fun
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You might have a problem when you're on a gun forum asking for suggestions on things to do on your Honeymoon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There is also a retired coast guard boat somewhere that gives weekend tours. Ask around.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might have a problem when you're on a gun forum asking for suggestions on things to do on your Honeymoon.
View Quote
I too was wondered why he had to ask.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
OP- Keep in mind that even Key West may be a bit on the cool side end of January into February. Not "cold" but you probably won't want to plan too many swimming activities unless you wear a wetsuit (a 2mm shorty is probably fine). I light jacket at night may also be appreciated because it could be in the low 60s as you stumble back to your hotel. Check the forecast before you go. occasionally, an arctic blast from Canada can send temperatures even lower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
iff'n a fellow has to ask 'what to do on my honeymoon',  he might not need to be getting married.  Just saying..................
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
So everyone beat me to "what do *YOU* think you should do on yur honeymoon" but it's fun to repeat :D

Seriously, don't dismiss the drive from MIA to KW. Take it slow (it's two lane with ocean as the shoulder) so as you hit each key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Keys for info but Google Maps for a list of major keys (e.g. Tavernier, Islamorada)) just slow down and enjoy it. There's a cool History of Diving Museum along the route with some vintage stuff not found elsewhere ...

The intel on KW above is good. Is your girl water-inclined? If yes, dive the Vandenburg. If no, the plane is a good idea for the Dry Tortugas or it's like a 90min run one way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Rob Delph - charter him. Catch fish.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Mile Marker 77.5 Robbie’s Marina

You can hand feed Tarpon off the dock.  It’s actually fun to do and some of those Tarpon are pretty dam big and hey have a pretty neat gift shop in there.

Conch Republic in Key West has good food and Duval Street is an interesting place at night.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a charter in Key West in the fall, and caught nada.

It was nice to be out on the water at least.

Edit: Can confirm the Dry Tortugas are a must see.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
What was the target? What did the captain try to catch? I can think of several options that can be easily caught in the fall.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What was the target? What did the captain try to catch? I can think of several options that can be easily caught in the fall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said we had a chance at mahi, skipjack, tuna, or sailfish.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Running and Gunning looking for flotsam?

Or

Fishing with kites and live Chum?

Or

Slow Trolling with live baits?

Or

Trolling with ballyhoo and skirts?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Try to get someone to take you to the gulf side of Big Pine Key and fish the bomb craters from WWII.  Amazing fishing back there.

(<- Part time resident of Big Pine Key)

The Square Grouper is, in my opinion, the best Restaurant in the lower Keys, it's on Cudjoe key.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try to get someone to take you to the gulf side of Big Pine Key and fish the bomb craters from WWII.  Amazing fishing back there.

The Square Grouper is, in my opinion, the best Restaurant in the lower Keys, it's on Cudjoe key.
View Quote
Conch repulic seafood company in key West has them beat. But they are definitely good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or

Or

Or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

Or

Or

Looking for flotsam and following birds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Conch repulic seafood company in key West has them beat. But they are definitely good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends. I've had great meals at both. But the specials at both grouper and g2 are killer. Plus the bar at G2 has an awesome selection of beer and Bourbons. Drinking bourbon with the owner is fun
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

(<- Part time resident of Big Pine Key).
View Quote
Am paying attention.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Am paying attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(<- Part time resident of Big Pine Key).
Am paying attention.
Probably some of the best fishing in the lower keys. Just gotta know how to get back there.  It's pretty shallow around big pine because there's no real channels.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Probably some of the best fishing in the lower keys. Just gotta know how to get back there.  It's pretty shallow around big pine because there's no real channels.
View Quote
Got a '14 boat and read water very well.

Boat has been all over, actually.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
When are you there? Full time? What do you want to target?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll get you some screenshots of where.

I'll be down there the first week of March so I'll snag some gps cords when my dad and I go out.

We have a 25ft Parker hybrid. And a 14ft skif.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll get you some screenshots of where.

I'll be down there the first week of March so I'll snag some gps cords when my dad and I go out.

We have a 25ft Parker hybrid. And a 14ft skif.
View Quote
Neat, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Check out Key West Extreme Adventures.

Great shark tour
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Stop in at the Wide World Sportsman and see the sister boat to Pillar (Hemingway's boat)

Stop in at John pennincamp and snorkel the reef.

I liked the banana bay marina and resort on Marathon.

The hawks nest has a great view of the 7 mile bridge and sumberrero reef - and yes do go snorkel that one..

Rent a boat - keep it at the banana Bay - go play all day.  on the outside of the 7 mile bridge is a place called molasses key - great place to get-a-way to.

Go check out the work camp under the 7 mile bridge.

Rent a convertible if possible.

have fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top