Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2022 5:47:37 AM EDT
New changes results in little to help homeowners at this time from what I can see. Seems like a lot of nothing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, the fact insurance companies can't drop you out of no where for having a roof that is less than 15 years old is something.  My mother got a letter from her company saying either get a new roof or they are dropping her, her roof was only 11 year old.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Plaintiff...lawyers...have...a...very...strong...lobby...in...Florida.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with both comments. However the action on rate increases was missing from what I read. Folks on fixed incomes are taking it on the chin again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with both comments. However the action on rate increases was missing from what I read. Folks on fixed incomes are taking it on the chin again.
View Quote

Exactly, I can see some people tempted to go without insurance because it's just not something they can afford on what they get from social security. I know of someone that doesn't have insurance on her house right now because she can't afford it. If she was to get insurance her rate would be pretty high at least the first year too, because she had a lapse in coverage. They've got us by the balls either way! Going without insurance is like playing Russian roulette too!
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you just get Liability Insurance? I can self-insure for house damage just not for "slip and fall" stuff!
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you just get Liability Insurance? I can self-insure for house damage just not for "slip and fall" stuff!
View Quote
You sure can if you dont have a mortgage. Most of my neighbors have gone to self insurance.

My rates have doubled over the last two years, to 13k, with the increase of home value being the main excuse. I am also paying a $1,500 surcharge for the age of my roof. The hurricane deductible is 150k.

Similar situation occurred in 2005-2006 but the real-estate collapse brought prices back inline.

Next year I'm planning to pay off the house, replace the roof and replace the windows. This probably wont bring the price down to a more palatable level so  I'll probably self insure.

What I dont know is if you can keep fire and theft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top