Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2021 8:58:45 PM EDT
I know a guy that got jammed up due to some domestic issues and had his guns removed from the home. He finally got them back but doesn't have a secure place to store them currently. Is a friend of his able to have at their residence if they do not have any CT credentials (LTC, Long arm certificate , etc)
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He finally got them back but doesn't have a secure place to store them currently.
View Quote

Was it a requirement of the court or who ever that when the guns returned they had to be stored in a secure place?

If not then there is only one statute dealing with secure storage in the home and if one doesn't meet the requirements of that statute they don't have to securely store their firearms in the manor spelled out in that statute.

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of firearms.

No person shall store or keep any firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, on any premises under such person's control if such person knows or reasonably should know that (1) a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor, (2) a resident of the premises is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law, or (3) a resident of the premises poses a risk of imminent personal injury to himself or herself or to other individuals, unless such person (A) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a manner which a reasonable person would believe to be secure, or (B) carries the firearm on his or her person or within such close proximity thereto that such person can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if such person carried the firearm on his or her person. For the purposes of this section, “minor” means any person under the age of eighteen years.

As to your main question about having a friend store them. Probably best to suggest (if you haven't already) that your friend consult with a knowledgeable firearm's lawyer if they want a legal answer or legal advise.

Could the person do what you ask? Yes. Is it legal to do so in this gun hating state? Is it considered a "transfer" when one stores someone else's firearms in their home for that other person? Unknown to those two questions.

Another option is to call around to local FFL's/gun shops and see if any offer a storage service, typically for a fee.

Edit to add: Note that if any of the firearms are post ban assault weapons or NFA items that introduces another set of issues due to the registration requirement of those items and where assault weapons can be possessed and by who they can be possessed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the detailed response.  You alluded to the issues I fear with CT that it would be considered a transfer, which could certainly pose a problem. I will pass along the info to both parties and highly suggest getting legal advice if they wish to move forward
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suspect he would have to take a residence at your location in CT for it not to be considered a transfer. No permit is required for out-of-state or in-state as long as the guns are CT Legal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST GUN STORAGE IN CT - THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. REQUIRED CT PERMIT TO GET THEM BACK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST GUN STORAGE IN CT - THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. REQUIRED CT PERMIT TO GET THEM BACK - BLUE CORD FIREARMS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
When my house burned down last year, my sisters friend's husband stored them in his safe for me for 12 months. He is a police officer but so long as they have a permit its legal.

Delta arsenal rents storage for your guns at 25 per month per gun. It would have cost me thousands of dollars.

Friend did it for free but i gave him a gift for his trouble.

Find a friend you trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top