Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2021 4:39:56 PM EDT
Just moved here, and I’m looking for some hunting excitement to replace my whitetail lifestyle.  I’m in the Fort Myers area.  Looking for a good hog hunt.  I’ve googled a few outfitters since I don’t have land connections yet, but looking for some insight from those that have been here longer.  If anyone can point me in a direction for my first time, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
An outfitter or paid hunt on private land is probably the best way to get your feet wet and get a feel for hog hunting in Florida.

Once you get going, Florida has over a million acres of public land open for hunting and there are plenty of opportunities for diy public hunting.

So no interest in Florida whitetail hunting?
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An outfitter or paid hunt on private land is probably the best way to get your feet wet and get a feel for hog hunting in Florida.

Once you get going, Florida has over a million acres of public land open for hunting and there are plenty of opportunities for diy public hunting.

So no interest in Florida whitetail hunting?
View Quote

Is the whitetail hunting good here?  I guess I’ve been spoiled hunting giant ones in SE Iowa on our family land for a long time and didn’t think it would be as rewarding (some of our does are pushing 200 pounds).  I’ve honestly never had to hunt public land before, and I’ve heard so many stories of hunters tripping over each other.  I’d definitely be up for it if I’m mistaken about that.

Also, Iowa doesn’t really have a rifle season, only bow, powder, and shotgun. Occasionally, they’ll open for rifle for a couple weeks in late January.  So I was thinking hogs as a reason to break out my ARs.  Never gotten to hunt with them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never used these guys (yet) but they get recommended on here often.  Chappy's

Not sure why you wouldn't give deer a try down here...some of them get up to 65 lbs LOL.  Hey, they're harder to hit than the 200 pounders.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is the whitetail hunting good here?  I guess I’ve been spoiled hunting giant ones in SE Iowa on our family land for a long time and didn’t think it would be as rewarding (some of our does are pushing 200 pounds).  I’ve honestly never had to hunt public land before, and I’ve heard so many stories of hunters tripping over each other.  I’d definitely be up for it if I’m mistaken about that.

Also, Iowa doesn’t really have a rifle season, only bow, powder, and shotgun. Occasionally, they’ll open for rifle for a couple weeks in late January.  So I was thinking hogs as a reason to break out my ARs.  Never gotten to hunt with them.
View Quote

You will never see deer as large as Iowa here, our average doe is 80-90 lb, average buck 110-120, big mature bucks are 140-160, and anything around 180 or above is exceptional.

Obviously the antlers aren’t as great either.

But we have some great deer hunting, and it certainly is challenging.

I’ve said in the past, you can take someone who successfully hunts in Florida and regularly takes good deer, and drop them off anywhere in the world and they will be successful hunters.

I stand by that.

As to public land, our public land is tiered, some lands are open to the public as soon as the season opens, and require only that you have a management stamp, hunting license , and permits for whatever game you are after, such as deer, turkey, migratory game birds .

Most have at least restricted access for the first nine days, participants in the annual lottery are awarded quota permits. After the first nine days, many of these are open to all hunters for the remainder of the season.

Many areas have hunts restricted to one or two three to five day hunts for each season, for example, a three day archery, a three day muzzloader, and a two three day rifle hunts, then closed.

These limited quota hunt areas generally have higher game density, restricted hunter numbers, which translates to higher success rates.

They are also harder to draw, often requiring a preference point or two to get. Preference points are acquired by getting skunked in the annual draw, you get bumped forward  next year.

Finally, there are pay to play hunts, intensely managed areas that require an entry fee to the lottery, and a fee to hunt if you are drawn. These areas have excellent success ratios , very limited hunter numbers and high game density.

There are also several State controlled ” leases” where you pay an annual fee and have total access for all seasons.

Private leases are popular here, large landholders like ranches, timber companies, etc have private hunting clubs on their land. These are a great way to hunt if you can afford it.

The Mormons have the largest cattle operation in Florida, many thousands of acres for example and have many clubs on their properties. Start at around 5K a year with a waiting list last I heard.

Private land allows baiting which is effective on deer and garuntees hogs . Outfitted hunts for hogs are always on leases, most always over bait. On private land, pigs occurring there are considered livestock, property of the land owner , and his dispose of as he sees fit. On private land, all is permissible for hogs,, night hunting, bait, unrestricted weapons.

Deer still belong to the King.

Hogs on public land are convuluted, the are considered a non-native nuisance, destructive to habitat, yet still a game animal.

Usually there is no size or bag limit , and seasons are long, and include Hog only seasons after others have closed . Often hogs are open during small game, a non quota period open after deer season.

Enough for now , I’ve hunted here since the seventies, primarily on public land, born and raised , I can probably answer any questions you have, or at least point you to the answer.

Finally, my best friend and lifelong hunting partner with his best public land Florida buck.

Attachment Attached File

And one of mine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome info. Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 for Chappy's.
View Quote

+2

Great place.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for chappy's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top