Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2018 10:38:18 AM EDT
Over the last couple years, several members here have expressed interest in learning to or going on their first hog hunt.

I just picked up a Management Area Hog hunt , I have killed many hogs and rarely bother any more, just a chance to spend a day in the woods with a rifle for me. I’ve been hunting here for more than 40 years

So, to the point, I would like to invite a hometown member to hunt with me as my guest.

The hunt will take place December 14,15,16 in eastern Lake County.

I would like to limit this offer to “newbies” , either new hunters, or folks with no Florida hog hunting experience.

Im me if you are in interested, and we will see what we can work out, first come first served.

Not looking for any money exchange for any reason, just a chance to introduce a new hunter to Florida hunting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I would love to try out my SCAR 17 on some pigs, but unfortunately I work weekends.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Just sent an IM. I'm very interested in hunting here in Florida and don't know where to start.

I did pass my safety course and have guns and some gear but no practical knowledge. Any and all help is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
im returned to Zed
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
As a fellow experienced hunter, I’d like to commend you for offering to expose someone to the pastime.  Our numbers are dwindling as the newer generations are not carrying on the traditions of their predecessors.  I hope that whoever takes you up on your offer enjoys the experience enough to want to pursue it- we need the numbers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a fellow experienced hunter, I’d like to commend you for offering to expose someone to the pastime.  Our numbers are dwindling as the newer generations are not carrying on the traditions of their predecessors.  I hope that whoever takes you up on your offer enjoys the experience enough to want to pursue it- we need the numbers.
View Quote
Well said... good on you OP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it will work out for ZedHedHunter to go.

I know it's tough to get a handle on where to start and what to do if you have never hunted, or hunted here. I have hunted here my whole life,  and while I'm certainly no super-hunter, I have had consistent success over the years and have accumulated  a little knowledge that I can share.

I love hunting deer and Turkeys, hogs are kind of ho-hum, so picking up a hog hunt seems like an ideal way to introduce someone new to the sport. The focus can be on them and their hunt. A little rented enthusiasm if you will. I just like being in the woods with a rifle.

Comes a certain time when it's more fun to sit back and watch someone new enjoy something than it is to do it yourself...…
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never been hunting, for a variety of reasons, and probably wouldn't be able to go for another year or two anyways.

I'm curious though, if anyone can give a rough breakdown of the costs.

Also, are AR pistols GTG for hunting in FL? I have a 12" 6.5 Grendel build that's just waiting on a lower.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never been hunting, for a variety of reasons, and probably wouldn't be able to go for another year or two anyways.

I'm curious though, if anyone can give a rough breakdown of the costs.

Also, are AR pistols GTG for hunting in FL? I have a 12" 6.5 Grendel build that's just waiting on a lower.

Thanks!
View Quote
Like any hobby or activity it can be as costly or as economical as you choose to make it. Pistols are GTG.

Inexpensive firearms and clothing will accomplish the same as high-dollar stuff... don't need to look like you just left a photo shoot for a Gander Mountain catalog.

You can probably get a complete license for under $100.00, read up on licenses at WFC's web site. Covers all game, all methods, and access to many WMA's.
If you have a place relatively safe for leaving stuff in the woods, ladder stands are under $100 and so are game cameras and battery operated/timer activated feeders. So in essence, $275 will outfit a stationary stand for hunting... can be done much cheaper if desired.

Hunting per se is cheap, a place to go, can be a different story... Public access land vs. private property and leases can be expensive. I lease 110 acres for about $1400 a year, insurance included, on the high side for north FL but it joins my own property and is insulated mostly by SRWMD which allows no trespassing or hunting of any kind. I don't have to worry about other people fucking up my hunt or shooting anything and everything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd love to go. But I'm a life time hunter that just hasn't hunted in a number of years due to work. Good on you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Just have to say I'm happy, excited and very appreciative.

My wife has been picking on me the lately because I have been talking about hunting for a while but never actually get out there.

The most I've done is pest bird hunting with a shotgun for a farmer back where I used to live. Never rifle game hunting. Eventually I want to get into small game, deer and turkey.

If all goes as planned then this should give me the guidence I've been needing to get going on my own.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just have to say I'm happy, excited and very appreciative.

My wife has been picking on me the lately because I have been talking about hunting for a while but never actually get out there.

The most I've done is pest bird hunting with a shotgun for a farmer back where I used to live. Never rifle game hunting. Eventually I want to get into small game, deer and turkey.

If all goes as planned then this should give me the guidence I've been needing to get going on my own.
View Quote
That’s fantastic.  Be sure to come back here and tell us how it goes.  OP, thanks again for doing this- classy move.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#12]
PM Sent
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Would love to but not sure if I would be able to make it up there.

Been on one hunt but was guided. I want to learn what the heck to do out in the woods when I don't have a guide...well guiding me lol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Has this happened yet?  Whenever it does, please don’t forget the AAR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has this happened yet?  Whenever it does, please don’t forget the AAR.
View Quote
From the OP: "The hunt will take place December 14,15,16 in eastern Lake County."
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

From the OP: "The hunt will take place December 14,15,16 in eastern Lake County."
View Quote
Yeah, I missed that.  Originally read this post awhile back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would like to limit this offer to "newbies" , either new hunters, or folks with no Florida hog hunting experience.

Im me if you are in interested, and we will see what we can work out, first come first served.

Not looking for any money exchange for any reason, just a chance to introduce a new hunter to Florida hunting.
View Quote
I AM IN!  Ive only been here in Florida for a couple months and hunting hogs is on my "to do" list.  Problem is not knowing the area or anyone to go with.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The permits allows me to take one guest hunter, Zed was the first to reply.

Several others have i’m-ed me, I will keep you guys in mind, I am applying for more permits, and if time permits.

There is also the possibility of taking someone small game hunting; many Management areas allow taking of hogs during small game season, which usually runs in February and Early March.

Small game hunts are limited to shotgun and pistols though.

I see how much I can work out, Ihave a full time job, wife and teenage kids, so my time is limited.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I just moved up to St. Augustine from Miami, I have fished Dolphin, Snapper, Grouper and caught Lobster till it was coming out my ears but have never hunted. I think Hogs would be a great way for me to learn both hunting as well as dressing. I can clean fish all day long but all my meat has been cleaned. Sometime my wife’s family would roast a whole pig in the back yard, they usually bought it with the head on but had it gutted and ready to roast.

I see I am probably late to get in on the offer but I would love some guidance on what direction to get started.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I AM IN!  Ive only been here in Florida for a couple months and hunting hogs is on my "to do" list.  Problem is not knowing the area or anyone to go with.
View Quote
Where are you located? I drew a WMA Quota permit too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's up around Gainesville I believe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#22]
So all the quota permits have already been drawn correct. Back in July or so?

But can I still go out while one of the other seasons is ongoing or no? Slightly confused by the regs lol.

And don't mean to derail thread, just trying to learn. But you guys scout these WMAs to spot sign for hogs. Then do you set up tree stands to hunt or do you spot and stalk?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So all the quota permits have already been drawn correct. Back in July or so?

But can I still go out while one of the other seasons is ongoing or no? Slightly confused by the regs lol.

And don't mean to derail thread, just trying to learn. But you guys scout these WMAs to spot sign for hogs. Then do you set up tree stands to hunt or do you spot and stalk?
View Quote
To answer, yes , the quotas filled in July. Buuuut;
Florida allows you to turn your Quota hunt on if you cant, or don’t want to hunt it. You are then awarded a preference point for the next year.

These turned in hunts are the re-issued in weekly lotteries. This is what I am doing now, picking up re- issues for premium areas with higher game density and less compititon.

Floridas Management Areas are tiered; the premium Areas have very limited hunts and are then closed.

Second tier Areas are quota only, and then open to public , non quota hunting for the rest of the season.

Third tier areas have no quotas and are open for public hunting with only a Management stamp and appropriate licenses ( deer, turkey)
hogs require no license, just a management stamp.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
As for hunting methods, I like to spot and stalk for pigs, but I also will set a stand and sit a hot spot do a few hours.

If you tell me the nearest town to you, I can help you out with management  areas near you and what the rules are.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just west of Gville.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As for hunting methods, I like to spot and stalk for pigs, but I also will set a stand and sit a hot spot do a few hours.

If you tell me the nearest town to you, I can help you out with management  areas near you and what the rules are.
View Quote
That would be awesome. I live down in Plantation, just west of Fort Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just west of Gville.
View Quote
My permit is for 3 Lakes WMA in Osceola County. That's a bit far for you, PM me if you're interested. It's a blackpowder quota but I can get you set up with one if you don't have one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone near JAX?

I've got a PVS-14, some IR lights and lasers, silencers that would love some use other than paper and steel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is there anything in SWFL? What essential gear would you recommend to someone starting out?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier, South Florida is the one part of the state I have never hunted. Most of the hunting is west and further north. The Glades, Big Cypress, most of the area down there is seriously hard terrian, access by airboat or swamp buggy, and no place for a beginner. Most of the hunting I would recommend is north of you. I have heard good things about JW Corbett on the west coast.

You can read about the areas Here , checkbthe South Zone.

As for gear, good comfortable boots, snake proof if it makes you feel better, comfortable camo consider a bug tamer suit, A Thermocell for sitting. Eventually you’ll want a tree stand, a ladder is a good one to start with. Lots of thing you find useful and pick up along the way . Compass, GPS, good flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#32]
A little “After Action “ report, Zedheadhunter and I did meet up and hunt together, family and work obligations ruled out Friday, I managed a mid-day  scout/hunt for a few hours before the weather bottomed out, eleminated  a few spots.

We met up early Saturday and made it on the WMA at first light, I couldn’t decipher the email with the gate code, so we biked in from the front gate. Couple milebride to start the day, it was misty and cold.

We covered a lot of ground, but pig sign and critters were not to be found. we did see some does later in the morning when the weather started to break.

Zeds handle bars worked loose and we didn’t have the right tool to fix it, making it tough for him to ride on rough two trails, so we covered some other parts of the area by truck, and on foot when we saw an area of interest.

We pounded a lot of turf, and stayed wet and cold. It was a pretty crappy day weather wise.

We ended up on the largest section, by the I had figured out the gate code and we were able to drive the whole area . We talked to another hunter who gave us some ideas and really pounded the swamp, but no joy.

Where there should have been hog sign, and hogs, there just wasn’t.

We did see a lot of turkeys while we were driving.

By late afternoon I think Zed had had more bike riding and swamp crawling and brush busting than he had bargained for and we called it a day.

Although we didn’t find the pigs, I hope he got a feel for the habitat and terrain, and how to go about public land hunting.

He wasn’t able to do another day, so we only had the one, but it was a pretty hardcore day of hunting/ scouting, we covered a lot of ground, and I hope he enjoyed it and learned a little.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#33]
%$@%&*  Just joined the sight today.  Moved to St. Petersburg about 4 years from the Atlanta area and haven't been hog hunting down here yet.
Would be great to meet up with some folks and get back into the woods.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve never hunted hogs  
Only tried deer once
Current military and OEF vet
If u go again let me know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top