Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2022 1:50:22 PM EDT
Anyone shoot there recently? I had not been there in about three years. Decided to stop and check it out on the way back from visiting my kids in college in California.

One desert rat living in a camper. One junk spray painted car. The entire area is a disaster littered with shot up appliances and propane tanks.

I only drove in about a mile off the freeway. Found a spot where I could shoot my road trip to California legal shotgun out to 50-yards.

Saw six other car loads of shooters while I was there. On my way out I saw a group of middle aged people with a Tesla shooting maybe 100-yards off the freeway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I fucking loathe that place!

People that go there, shoot shit up and then leave it out there, are the ones that have gotten other shooting places in SoCal closed. That and the reason why people don't share their favorite spot to shoot, they don't want it trashed and then closed!

I have always told people that the further out in the desert you go, the better! Doesn't mean that you won't see others out there, just means that they are fewer and further between! Hodge is to close to the Inland Empire, L.A. and other areas, makes it an easy drive for people that don't want to pay for range time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fucking loathe that place!

People that go there, shoot shit up and then leave it out there, are the ones that have gotten other shooting places in SoCal closed. That and the reason why people don't share their favorite spot to shoot, they don't want it trashed and then closed!

I have always told people that the further out in the desert you go, the better! Doesn't mean that you won't see others out there, just means that they are fewer and further between! Hodge is to close to the Inland Empire, L.A. and other areas, makes it an easy drive for people that don't want to pay for range time.
View Quote

At this point it’s so trashed it would take heavy equipment to clean it up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There was at one point in history, a few different places to shoot in the San Gabriel Mountains. One of the most used was Kentucky shooting area. No matter how many times it was cleaned up, dipshits from all over left ovens, fridges, hot water tanks....

All of them have been closed, behind 'tucky is Desert Marksman Range but it's private. Great range if you're a member, you can even camp out there, use it as a starting point if hunting...

The most notorious was Lytle Creek, it's off the 15 also at Sierra Ave. near Devore. It's still open but is now also a controlled range, next to it is West End Gun Club.

Formerly known as 50_Shooter
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't bothered with Hodge in over a decade.  Wild Wash can be similar.  If you drive further west from the freeway there are some decent spots, such as one I found near the entrance of a canyon or valley, but I haven't gone that way in a long time, either.  The spots I go to are north of the 58 either off of the 395 or the 15, and I won't publicly post them.  They aren't a secret, but they aren't exactly common knowledge, either, which helps to keep them decent.  They are also a bit isolated.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
When I lived in California, I alway chose shooting spots to be only accessible by 4x4. And I could see anyone approaching for at least a mile or so. And I could see them, they couldn’t see me or what I was shooting. I always kept in mind that I was in enemy territory and was considered a potential criminal when in possession of firearms in California. Especially after California banned scary looking firearms.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be willing to tow a landscaping rake through it.
As long as someone was willing to let me borrow one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top