Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2020 11:29:10 AM EDT
We'll be in the backcountry for 5 days, what kind of weather should I be expecting for mid September?

I've camped in cold areas so I'm not worried but I read it can get windy and possible snow.

Any recent bear sightings?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I camped at Big Sandy in late June, friend that was with me thinks a bear pawed at his tent corner during the night. It was a large animal and pawed the corner trying to lift it. It went away on its own.

Where are you planning to go in the area past Big Sandy ? Cirque area ? Temples ?

I love the area. Made two trips last year, and two trips this year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's Wyoming, it will be hot during the day and cold at night in any of our mountain ranges during September and early October. You will also probably experience a blizzard in any of our mountain ranges during this time period, then it will melt for a few days and be sloppy.

Black bears are everywhere in the state, and Grizz in the Absarokas, Wind Rivers, Tetons etc (Western and northwestern mountain ranges). You should always be prepared to encounter bears, wolves, and cats of some sort in any mountain range in Wyoming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
We'll be in the backcountry for 5 days, what kind of weather should I be expecting for mid September?

I've camped in cold areas so I'm not worried but I read it can get windy and possible snow.

Any recent bear sightings?
It's Wyoming, it will be hot during the day and cold at night in any of our mountain ranges during September and early October. You will also probably experience a blizzard in any of our mountain ranges during this time period, then it will melt for a few days and be sloppy.

Black bears are everywhere in the state, and Grizz in the Absarokas, Wind Rivers, Tetons etc (Western and northwestern mountain ranges). You should always be prepared to encounter bears, wolves, and cats of some sort in any mountain range in Wyoming.

Shouldn't be grizzlies in the southern winds by big sandy but always a slim possibility I guess. It would be a newsworthy event all the research I've done seems to say there is no grizzlies down there.

Definitely there is black bears. Last year there was a sign at the trailhead that there had been recent black bear activity entering campsites at big sandy. Don't recall if the sign still up this year or not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Big Sandy River below the lake. Nice fishing:
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top