Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2022 9:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074]
What are your favorite dives, holes in the wall, small town diners, cafes, etc.?

I would say Nick's in Brookings, but that might be a little too well known. Maybe the same with the Sugar Shack south of Deadwood/Lead.

The Lucky Dog in Volga has great Bloody Mary's and burgers.

I've been to Whimp's Place in Burbank.

Planning on checking out Toby's Lounge in Meckling.

What else is out there???
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Meridian Corner south of Freeman
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:
View Quote

Great little place.
Way out there is the Corner Bar and Cafe in Camp Crook. Amazing prime rib on Saturday nights.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
Perfect! A new destination has appeared.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For breakfast you could try Cafe Brule in Vermillion.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Swung by La Tapitia on 11th in Sioux Falls.

Used to be my #2 burrito spot in town. They redid the kitchen area and it is nowhere near the same. I probably wont bother with it again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If ever in Yankton, just across Gavins Point Dam on the Nebraska side, The Dam Fish Shack is quite the gem.

In the other thread I saw the guy who said he drives down to Wayne, NE. There's a place in St. Martinsburg, NE - Bob's Bar and Grill that's pretty famous around here as a destination.

I know this is a SD thread, but there's also the Nebraska population of 1 - Monowi is a cool place. Lady runs the entire town and the restaurant, been in the media a bunch of times. Usually a good crowd of red blooded American farmers in there and you'll feel like it's a family supper Monowi

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Swung by La Tapitia on 11th in Sioux Falls.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20220609_115906-2412833.jpg
Used to be my #2 burrito spot in town. They redid the kitchen area and it is nowhere near the same. I probably wont bother with it again.
View Quote

Every time we're in Sioux Falls, Gilibertos on Minnesota is a required stop. The other location just isn't the same. As close as I can find to the stuff I used to eat when living in San Diego.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If ever in Yankton, just across Gavins Point Dam on the Nebraska side, The Dam Fish Shack is quite the gem.

In the other thread I saw the guy who said he drives down to Wayne, NE. There's a place in St. Martinsburg, NE - Bob's Bar and Grill that's pretty famous around here as a destination.

I know this is a SD thread, but there's also the Nebraska population of 1 - Monowi is a cool place. Lady runs the entire town and the restaurant, been in the media a bunch of times. Usually a good crowd of red blooded American farmers in there and you'll feel like it's a family supper Monowi

View Quote
That's me. I've probably rode right by there. I've found Highway 15 to be pretty crappy/creepy so I usually go through Newcastle, Ponca, and Allen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Is Manolis Deli still open in Huron? Was my fav place to get a sandwich for lunch when I was in town.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Swung by Big River Burritos in Yankton today.

$45 for two chicken burritos, 2 drinks, chips and queso. Burritos were good, chips were stale. I dont think I'll be back.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Hking:
Is Manolis Deli still open in Huron? Was my fav place to get a sandwich for lunch when I was in town.
View Quote
Looks like it is according to Google Maps. Looks like a pretty cool place.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I see R-Pizza still a thing in Vermillion but they've fancied things up based upon the online menu.  They had THE best tator-tots as I recall.

Mama's Ladas downtown SF.  The route to the bathroom and the bathroom itself are little scary.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Forgot one.
Misfit's bar in Monroe. Make sure they're open before making the trip.
Dude can cook. You would never guess it by the condition of Monroe or the bar. I think he was a chef at a place in SF that didn't survive COVID, and found his own place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
We like to stop and eat at Siouxland Bar & Grill at Lake Poinsett when we're out on the cycle.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I have had really good meals at the Frontier Steakhouse in Webster.  The 1919 root beer is the best root beer we have ever had.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Took bike to Fleeg’s east of Yankton. Take the north/south county road just east of Fleeg’s for a nice drive. Up or down from highway 44.
Wanted to get to Siouxland this weekend but ran out of time. Adding Frontier to the list.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Crossed Bob's in Martinsburg off the list. Holy crap that place is a dive! Burger was huge and good. My kind of place.

Definitely going to try Dam Fish Shack and Meridian Corner.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Went and tried the Dam Fish Shack.

For 2 people was just over $50 for 2 baskets and an the pickle chips.

I got the walleye sandwich and the other order was just the shack walley. My walleye on the sandwich was just a hair wider than my thumb.

The actual walleye filets were good and it is a cool little area to hang out at.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Went and tried the Dam Fish Shack.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20220702_181316-2439564.jpg

For 2 people was just over $50 for 2 baskets and an the pickle chips.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/Snapchat-1189103965-2439568.jpg

I got the walleye sandwich and the other order was just the shack walley. My walleye on the sandwich was just a hair wider than my thumb.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20220702_183141-2439569.jpg

The actual walleye filets were good and it is a cool little area to hang out at.
View Quote

Holy crap, that sandwich looks disappointing. When we would go there the baskets will feed 2 people, but only we've went once early this year. Did notice prices really start to creep up but portions were still generous. Pre covid baskets were $7-8.

Had plans to explore half the state this weekend but we had recently been targeted by some tweekers so working to improve security. Probably should skip going out for awhile as it's getting awfully hard to crawl through spaces running cables
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Great little place.
Way out there is the Corner Bar and Cafe in Camp Crook. Amazing prime rib on Saturday nights.
View Quote

Making Sturgis plans. If there's time will have to check this place out.
Need more West River ideas.
Went to Mt. Rushmore Brewing during COVID - Pounding Fathers Restaurant. That was a blast - previously unknown to us they had cruise ship employees working the place as their boats were shut down. Not a dive place though. Will go back.
Also the Sugar Shack of course.
Not much else we've tried when visiting has really stuck out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Making Sturgis plans. If there's time will have to check this place out.
Need more West River ideas.
Went to Mt. Rushmore Brewing during COVID - Pounding Fathers Restaurant. That was a blast - previously unknown to us they had cruise ship employees working the place as their boats were shut down. Not a dive place though. Will go back.
Also the Sugar Shack of course.
Not much else we've tried when visiting has really stuck out.
View Quote
Alpine Inn in Hill City! My absolute favorite place to eat when we're out there. Always been a fan of Barbacoa in Spearfish. Sled House in Lead was good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Great little place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Great little place.
Meridian Corner knocked off the list. Nice ride down there and the mutton chislic was great. I will definitely go back to try their burgers. And fried chicken gizzards too!

Hopefully make it to Toby's and Dam Fish Shack next week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Made it Siouxland bar and grill. Extremely busy place. Short staffed. Not going to knock them for that.
Food was well worth the wait. Had the Queen cut prime rib and it was nothing short of badass.
Might head across the road for a beer before heading out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]
JRs BBQ off I90 North Side in Blackhawk. Open Thursday-Sat. Have been there twice now. Great BBQ
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Some stops we've made over the past month or so when fishing or working:

Mad Mary's in Flandreau - had the brisket melt sandwich the other day.  Really good.

When we get done fishing at Lake Thompson, a stop at the Oldham Saloon is in order for broasted chicken.

Ward's Store in Bryant - you've got to stop by when Dan is grilling ribeyes.  And their pizzas are great too.

And some of the best sub sandwiches in the state (besides Greg's in Sioux Falls) can be ordered at One Stop gas station in Madison.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:48:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#26]
He's gaining fame, so not a hidden gem anymore, but if you have a chance, give Chef Lance's on Phillips in SF a shot.  A little spendy but amazing food.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
He's gaining fame, so not a hidden gem anymore, but if you have a chance, give Chef Lance's on Phillips in SF a shot.  A little spendy but amazing food.
View Quote

The handmade tots are so damn good.  And the pulled pork wellington.  And pretty much everything else on the menu.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#28]
Tried to go to Animal's Bar & Grill yesterday. They changed their hours apparently, but not on Google Maps.

Did hit up Gus Manoli's in Huron today. What a great place with a very unique vibe. Sandwich was amazing and cheap!

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife and I hit up Dam Fish Shack today. Pretty "dam" good and a lot of "dam" food. Fun little place.

Hit up a couple of breweries in Yankton. It was a good day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Wife and I hit up Dam Fish Shack today. Pretty "dam" good and a lot of "dam" food. Fun little place.

Hit up a couple of breweries in Yankton. It was a good day.
View Quote

We always end up going to Bens Brewing in Yankton when we make it down there after we eat. Love me some Kenny Pepper (jalepeno beer).

Had plans to get Mad Mary's after a job we did in Brookings. Was too early and decided to find something in SF instead on the way home. Ended up sitting on 29 for an hour for the multiple car crashes. Dang it, should have stopped. Need to ride bike up there some night before getting too cold.

Went to Sturgis. Have no reason to go back to Sturgis during the rally. Food was insanely expensive - knew that but wasn't expecting that high.
Did make it to Barbacoa's. I'm an idiot though, had them cover it in extra Chuck Norris sauce and rode around in the hot weather afterwards. Was a rough couple of days.
Was also shocked when we walked into Alpine Inn in Hill City and were sat right away with great service and normal prices.

Also knocked Toby's in Meckling off the list. Now that place is a place where I feel at home. Pretty good "hidden gem"

Tried Sioux Valley Grille in Canton, SD and was pretty satisfied if ever ending up there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Stopped by Stringers Bar and Grill in Yankton today. Small lunch menu, but it was good. The spicy cheese balls were awesome and the chicken was really good. Ill go back to try the dinner menu for sure.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're in/around Sioux Falls over the next few weeks, check out some of the participants in the downtown burger battle.

https://dtsf.com/event/10th-annual-downtown-burger-battle/

I've had the Papa Woody's and Mckenzie River submissions and both were awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top