Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 8:08:55 PM EDT
Trying local before GD. Hoping someone here can help me out...

Under contract on some acreage in middle TN and found these tracks in the mud today.  I didn't include anything for size reference in the photo, but the lower pad print is a little over 3" in width (measured using the middle joint of my index finger).  I didn't notice claw indentations other than on one of the prints in the area (photos didn't turn out well enough, sadly).

Not a hunter or tracker, but have a guess based on some internet sleuthing. Curious to hear other's thoughts first.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tatonka
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
bobcat, maybe, Edit big bob cat.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bobcat, maybe, Edit big bob cat.
View Quote

Or a small cougar?

You know, the ones that the TWRA swears don’t exist here, but people keep seeing on their property...
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Edit big bob cat.
View Quote

Thanks.  Yeah, the size of the print seems large for either a coyote or bobcat, the two most likely culprits in the area.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
You need a trailcam.  They are cheap and fun.

I cant tell what that is by the photo.  You need something else in it for scale.  A dollar bill is good.

The key to distinguishing between a canine and feline is toe nails.

If you see nails, it's a dog.  If no nails, it's a cat with the claws retracted.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You need a trailcam.  They are cheap and fun.
View Quote

We'll definitely set some up once we close on the property.

As stated in my original post, I only noticed nail prints on one of the tracks, but not on the rest. Possible I just missed them though.  And as for scale (again mentioned above), the bottom pad is around 3" wide, but I agree I should have included a banana for scale :)

Appreciate the input from folks.  My guess was cougar based on the size, shape, and lack of nails, but saw that they're not supposed to exist out here.  Looking forward to setting up cameras to see what's really wandering around on the property.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or a small cougar?

You know, the ones that the TWRA swears don’t exist here, but people keep seeing on their property...
View Quote

Agreed. The tracks are a big for a bobcat. My cousin killed a huge BC in AR 20 years ago, but BCs that big are rare.

TWRA knows there is a good chance of a cougar or panther (up from LA) to be here. In the mid 90's i was driving at night delivering auto body parts to rural body shops. I saw a solid black cat with a big body and a longer tail than a house cat. I felt it was 30-60lb. The shadows made it hard to size, but it was no house cat. I had quit smoking the good stuff 5 year before that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a coyote as it does not have any nail marks.  Only cat family have with drawn nail tracks.  Also the depth or track will give you and idea of weight of animal.

BTW there are some Bobcats that do have that width of track, but they are far and few between.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
TWRA did confirm the presence of some mountain lions in W TN a couple of years ago.  DNA analysis of their hair suggested they were descendants of a known population from the Dakotas.  They theorized one or two went walkabout, but the TWRA has been known to reintroduce critters on the sly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TWRA did confirm the presence of some mountain lions in W TN a couple of years ago.  DNA analysis of their hair suggested they were descendants of a known population from the Dakotas.  They theorized one or two went walkabout, but the TWRA has been known to reintroduce critters on the sly.
View Quote

There was some talk, years ago, of some 'rewilding' group releasing coyotes in TN (before people started talking about 'fluffy' going missing), and I think there was some suspicion that TWRA at least looked the other way about it.

What other critters are we talking about?

ETA:  There are supposedly a few Jaguarundi roaming the area between Murfreesboro and Lebanon.  Don't know how big their tracks are.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived in Colorado Springs and had a neighbor who lost a dog to a mountain lion.  The wildlife officer showed us the tracks leading to and from the yard.  Those tracks looked exactly like your image and size description.  Just sayin...
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just sayin...
View Quote

So I shouldn't get a chihuahua when we move to the property then?

We haven't been back there much, but were out last weekend and didn't see any fresh tracks, though it had rained/been wet recently.  Will keep an eye out, and now have an excuse to upgrade the "ranch gun"
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So I shouldn't get a chihuahua when we move to the property then?

We haven't been back there much, but were out last weekend and didn't see any fresh tracks, though it had rained/been wet recently.  Will keep an eye out, and now have an excuse to upgrade the "ranch gun"
View Quote

If you had a Chihuahua, the biggest threat would come from above.  Hawks and Owls love Mexican food.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you had a Chihuahua, the biggest threat would come from above.  Hawks and Owls love Mexican food.

View Quote

* snort *
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
@JPN

I know beaver in some areas (W TN) where they had been extirpated.  My wife also treated a patient years ago who raised wolves for TWRA, although I don't have any knowledge that those were for release.

ETA: Sorry to jump back in so late in the game.  I've been swamped at work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top