Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2022 8:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple]
I have considered hunting in Maryland. I'm also curious about bringing my rifles there in general.

1- From my understanding, the magazine capacity limit is 8 rounds for hunting, and downloaded magazines are ok. Is that the only restriction on hunting with semi-autos?

2- I have checked the MSP roster of banned rifles. Whatever I would bring is not banned, but would probably have a flash hider, plus sound suppressor. I would bring 5 or 10 round magazines. As long as I don't have a grenade launcher or folding stock, I'm legal? Retractable stock OK?

3- Does the ban on magazines over 10 rounds apply to magazines brought in from out of state, and owned prior to a certain date?

4- Are police exempt from any of these unconstitutional infringements?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:08:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eshell] [#1]
I will answer your questions to the best of my understanding, but would welcome any corrections and additional information.

Originally Posted By Scrapple:
I have considered hunting in Maryland. I'm also curious about bringing my rifles there in general.

1- From my understanding, the magazine capacity limit is 8 rounds for hunting, and downloaded magazines are ok. Is that the only restriction on hunting with semi-autos?
View Quote
This is correct and the only mag capacity restriction I am aware of. I believe the 8-round restriction was written around using a Garand.
2- I have checked the MSP roster of banned rifles. Whatever I would bring is not banned, but would probably have a flash hider, plus sound suppressor. I would bring 5 or 10 round magazines. As long as I don't have a grenade launcher or folding stock, I'm legal? Retractable stock OK?
View Quote
If your rifle isn't on the banned list, it should be fine. One caveat: AR-15's must be HBARs (actual heavy profile barrels, either sold as HBAR or stamped HBAR). There is an exemption for this HBAR bullshit if one owned the rifle *in this state* prior to 2013, a 'carve-out' that would not apply to non-resident visitors. I do not know of anyone who has ever been checked or charged for this.

I am not clear on the distinction between a 'retractable' stock and a 'folding stock', but as long as the overall length exceeds 29" when folded or retracted, it should be fine.
3- Does the ban on magazines over 10 rounds apply to magazines brought in from out of state, and owned prior to a certain date?
View Quote
No, one may bring/possess their >10 round mags. Just don't 'sell, attempt to sell, transfer, loan...
4- Are police exempt from any of these unconstitutional infringements?
View Quote
Not sure how you mean this...

1) Yes, of course they are, The Crown's agents and enforcers are always exempted from our tyrannical firearms laws.

This is true except for "hunting" laws like the 8-round limit apply to everyone equally, technically speaking, but one is often subject to "professional courtesy" and sometimes allowed behaviors prohibited for the ordinary citizens).

2) If you are a Maryland resident policeman, then yes, you are exempt from many/most of these laws. If you are a policeman from out of state, I am unsure of what you are exempted from.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eshell:
I will answer your questions to the best of my understanding, but would welcome any corrections and additional information.

This is correct and the only mag capacity restriction I am aware of. I believe the 8-round restriction was written around using a Garand.If your rifle isn't on the banned list, it should be fine. One caveat: AR-15's must be HBARs (actual heavy profile barrels, either sold as HBAR or stamped HBAR). There is an exemption for this HBAR bullshit if one owned the rifle *in this state* prior to 2013, a 'carve-out' that would not apply to non-resident visitors. I do not know of anyone who has ever been checked or charged for this.

I am not clear on the distinction between a 'retractable' stock and a 'folding stock', but as long as the overall length exceeds 29" when folded or retracted, it should be fine.No, one may bring/possess their >10 round mags. Just don't 'sell, attempt to sell, transfer, loan...Not sure how you mean this...

1) Yes, of course they are, The Crown's agents and enforcers are always exempted from our tyrannical firearms laws.

This is true except for "hunting" laws like the 8-round limit apply to everyone equally, technically speaking, but one is often subject to "professional courtesy" and sometimes allowed behaviors prohibited for the ordinary citizens).

2) If you are a Maryland resident policeman, then yes, you are exempt from many/most of these laws. If you are a policeman from out of state, I am unsure of what you are exempted from.
View Quote

I just want to confirm a couple of things.

The Maryland State Police website states that the LMT  MARS-L 5.56 is not banned, therefore I could bring that regardless of the barrel. Correct?

You are saying that I could bring my standard capacity magazines as well? 30, 20, etc?

As for the exemptions, do you know where that section is? I'll look as well, but if you have it handy, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Any 5.56 AR style rifle that is not banned must have a barrel that is either marked or marketed as "HBAR" to be legal in Maryland. Any other caliber and the barrel can be pencil thin!

The law is stupid, but it is still the law!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me get this right, a guy from PA, a state that doesn't allow semi.auto rifles for hunting or the use of percussion muzzleloaders, wants help understanding MD's " ridiculous" hunting laws?

1200 ft lbs at muzzle, no more than 8 rounds, even Ok if in 30 round mag, and make SURE you are in a bottlenecked rifle county/ zone, NOT straight walled only.

Are you coming down with a GoPro on your head to shoot a sika for your " channel"???

Seems 87% of PA hunters beat you to it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Maryland Has Another Bad Day in Court
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top