Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/24/2022 11:51:29 AM EDT
My wife is traveling to Cincinnati next month on business and I thought I would tag along. We've never been to Cincinnati or anywhere in Ohio and are looking forward to the trip.

I will be entertaining myself for a couple of week days and want to know what the must-see destinations in the area are. I expect I could spend a day at the zoo and/or museums but was also wondering if there are any shooting ranges you would recommend. We are driving, so we'll be bringing our usual road-trip loadout of ARs and concealed carry handguns.

I'm not sure exactly where we are staying yet We are staying in West Chester, but I will have a car so travel around the area is no problem.

Edited to add: How is Premier Shooting and Training Center in West Chester? I understand they allow rifles as well as handguns and have a low-light training tactical bay?

Edited again: Wife wants to eat at a good steak house/restaurant with a view of the river, either the OH side or the KY side is fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cincinnati Zoo is one of the best in the country, definitely recommend.

Kings Island if you like amusement parks.

Air Force Museum is a little drive to the north (Dayton), but would highly recommend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know what your dietary restrictions are--but you need to compare Gold Star vs. Skyline!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Texan, so my chili preferences are pretty well set, but I can be objective in this case. Haven't had a coney dog in forever, so I'll see what I can do!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The Newport aquarium in addition to others’ suggestions.  Also @AIMSURPLUS in Monroe is worth a stop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Cincinnati Children's Museum, it was the model used by Hanna-Barbera for the Super Friends Hall of Justice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Newport aquarium in addition to others’ suggestions.  Also @AIMSURPLUS in Monroe is worth a stop.
View Quote

That's cool, I spent a ton of money at AIM back in the day. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield, Ohio.  Yes, it’s a grocery store, but it’s a must see.

Party Source in Newport, Kentucky.  It’s a liquor store the size of a medium grocery.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio.  Yes, it's a grocery store, but it's a must see.

Party Source in Newport, Kentucky.  It's a liquor store the size of a medium grocery.
View Quote
We could hang out

Both of those places are must-stops when I'm in the Cincinnati area
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
There are so many gun shops within an hour of West Chester you could spend all day gun shop hopping. Did that up in Columbus a couple years ago when I went with my wife to a conference she was going to.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Premier Shooting and Training is a great indoor range. They have 2 indoor ranges, dojo/gym, fishing lake, members lounge etc.  They run it very well and are truly what we want to display as the modern gun range. They do allow rifles, but it is 25 yard ranges and it is indoors for still very loud.  The low light is only for certain classes as far as I know.  They also have a simulator but they don't run it very often.

JLE
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Forget all the other gun shops and go visit Aim Surplus in Monroe. It’s a 10 min drive maybe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Great info guys. Thanks!

I'll be hitting up AIM, Premier, Jungle Jim's, and maybe the USAF museum...

And taking the Gold Star vs. Skyline challenge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
FC Cincinnati soccer match if possible. One of the best stadiums in North America and in playoff position.

I’m serious. It’s a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great info guys. Thanks!

I'll be hitting up AIM, Premier, Jungle Jim's, and maybe the USAF museum...

And taking the Gold Star vs. Skyline challenge.
View Quote
Your list is completely backwards... this should be the priority of your visit if you have never been.
This is MUST-SEE if you have any interest in aircraft. It is the premier aircraft museum in the world.
Nowhere else where you can see a U-2, SR-71, B-1, B-2, Valkyrie, F-117, B-52, B-36, B-17s, B-24, B-29 all in one place?

Visit Mehaffies pies in Dayton, if you go to USAFM - you will drive right past it on the way to or from.  Best pies I have ever eaten.  Get a cream pie... no pun. they are amazingly good.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your list is completely backwards... this should be the priority of your visit if you have never been.
This is MUST-SEE if you have any interest in aircraft. It is the premier aircraft museum in the world.
Nowhere else where you can see a U-2, SR-71, B-1, B-2, Valkyrie, F-117, B-52, B-36, B-17s, B-24, B-29 all in one place?
View Quote

I'm an Airforce brat and my son and his wife are USAF. I'd love to visit the museum, but I'd rather do it with him. I've seen the pics dad took at the museum a few years ago, so I know what I'd be missing. My wife is also interested in aircraft, so I might get the stink-eye if I go without her. Her job will probably be bringing her back to Cincinnati several more times, so if I don't go this trip there will be other opportunities.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#16]
You can't take it all in with one day anyway, sell it as a scouting mission for a later visit
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I love living near USAFM.  About 2 weeks ago, I was driving nearby on I-70 and saw Fifi (B-29) and a B-24 flying in formation.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love living near USAFM.  About 2 weeks ago, I was driving nearby on I-70 and saw Fifi (B-29) and a B-24 flying in formation.
View Quote

Probably headed to Lunken, I think they were doing flights there last week.

My daughter has golf lessons at Reeves and her and the wife got to see takeoffs/landings while there.

Came home talking about "cool" shiny WW2 bomber at the airport.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can't take it all in with one day anyway, sell it as a scouting mission for a later visit
View Quote

Solid suggestion. Thanks!

I assume concealed carry at the USAF museum is a no-go because it is on WP AFB? Leave my piece locked in the trunk of the car or at the hotel?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I assume concealed carry at the USAF museum is a no-go because it is on WP AFB? Leave my piece locked in the trunk of the car or at the hotel?
View Quote

Yeah, no carry. Not supposed to have anything in the car, either, TECHNICALLY, but if they don't ask and you don't tell, you know?

It IS hard to see the entire museum in one day. There's a ton of cool stuff there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have metal detectors now, don't they?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They have metal detectors now, don't they?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a good trip to Cincinnati/West Chester (other than hunkering down in Mt. Orab while the storm that spawned the tornado that went through Goshen passed through) and I appreciate the suggestions and ideas.

USAF museum was fantastic

AIM was awesome and damaging to my wallet.

Premier Shooting and Training Center was probably the nicest indoor range I've ever been to. Great people and they even texted me the day after I visited to see how my experience was.

Zoo and museums will be on my next trip back to Cincinnati in a few weeks, maybe Jungle Jim's as well.

I visited Skyline in Monroe and Gold Star in Franklin. Had a Coney dog and fries each to compare as evenly as possible. Although both places were nice and the servers friendly, I was not impressed. Neither were comparable to a proper James's Coney Island dog. And by the way, the meat-sauce topping on the Coney dogs is not "chili".

Nonetheless, our brief visit to Ohio was pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#24]
You did it wrong, you should have went for the "ways" instead of the coneys.

And when you eat a way, you have to cut through all the layers with the fork and eat it that way, not twirling the noodles like a barbarian.

I have friends in Goshen, that storm was a doozy, glad everyone was safe.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You did it wrong, you should have went for the "ways" instead of the coneys.

And when you eat a way, you have to cut through all the layers with the fork and eat it that way, not twirling the noodles like a barbarian.

View Quote

Yeah, we need to talk about that...

What kind of barbarian puts "chili" on spaghetti?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL, a genius - it's delicious
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL, a genius - it's delicious
View Quote

I don't know if it is the 'chili' or the 6#s of cheddar that make it genius!

JLE
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know if it is the 'chili' or the 6#s of cheddar that make it genius!

JLE
View Quote

When I ordered regular fries at Gold Star, the waitress hooked me up with chili cheese fries instead. It was a mound of cheddar with some "chili" and fries hidden under it.

She also gave me a couple of packets of "chili" seasoning mix to take home. I think she was sweet on me. Must not get many handsome, middle aged Marines with southern accents in her restaurant very often.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think she was sweet on me. Must not get many handsome, middle aged Marines with southern accents in her restaurant very often.
View Quote

I live in the subdivision behind that Gold Star in Franklin.  If you have all your teeth and the ability to string together a conversation you were likely the highlight of her week!

JLE
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL. I think you are right about that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I live in the subdivision behind that Gold Star in Franklin.  If you have all your teeth and the ability to string together a conversation you were likely the highlight of her week!

JLE
View Quote

I work in Carlisle a few minutes from there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be back!

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top