Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:06:30 AM EDT
I will be traveling on vacation in a few weeks and we will be going through the Davenport area on our way to Nebraska. There was some concern about the flooding and since we will be in a car rather than a truck, my wife was uneasy about the whole area.

Are there clear passes through that area to go through to Nebraska? Should we go around? Any areas to be wary of? General thoughts?

As it sits, we are going to be having about two 12 hour days in the car so we may be breaking it down a little more. But this is a direct route to where we are going. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be all clear.

Check this out.

https://floods2019.iowa.gov/traveler.aspx
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The flood won't be a problem, however there are concerns with construction.  Stay on I-80 or I-280 to cross the river (I-280 will give you a better look at the flood).  I-74, which cuts through the Quad Cities, is closed and has a bunch of detours to get you across the river.  If you aren't from the area avoid it like the plague, I live here and I avoid it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be all clear.

Check this out.

https://floods2019.iowa.gov/traveler.aspx
View Quote
Great! Thank you so much. I will take a look at the site!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The flood won't be a problem, however there are concerns with construction.  Stay on I-80 or I-280 to cross the river (I-280 will give you a better look at the flood).  I-74, which cuts through the Quad Cities, is closed and has a bunch of detours to get you across the river.  If you aren't from the area avoid it like the plague, I live here and I avoid it.
View Quote
I-280...is that the one that rounds MO just briefly and then cuts through Nebraska City? I know I-80 will be what I need to hit to get to where I am going in NE but the one road I am thinking is the one that goes over the river and into Nebraska City.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Before you get into Iowa take a look at https://www.511ia.org/.  You can put in your route and see the closed roads and construction.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Nebraska City is the other side of the state from Davenport/the Quad Cities.
Interstate 80 crosses the Mississippi (south to north) and then hooks ot the west for a nice five hour drive to the Missouri River and crossing into Nebraska.
Interstate 280 is essentially a bypass it runs south of the Illinois Quad Cities then hooks north, crosses the Mississippi and runs north for about six or seven miles and intersects I80 northwest of Davenport.
I80 is pretty much a straight shot across the state of Iowa.  You veer southwest once, then northwest once and cross the Missouri at Coucil Bluffs/Omaha, and then continue west into Nebraska.  Not much to see besides farms along the way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interstate 280 is essentially a bypass it runs south of the Illinois Quad Cities then hooks north, crosses the Mississippi and runs north for about six or seven miles and intersects I80 northwest of Davenport.
View Quote
This, I-80 goes north around Davenport, I-280 goes south around davenport.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interstate 80 crosses the Mississippi (south to north) and then hooks ot the west for a nice five hour drive to the Missouri River and crossing into Nebraska.
I80 is pretty much a straight shot across the state of Iowa.  You veer southwest once, then northwest once and cross the Missouri at Coucil Bluffs/Omaha, and then continue west into Nebraska.  Not much to see besides farms along the way.
View Quote
But if you squint, and get lucky, you may be able to see my house through the trees!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Before you get into Iowa take a look at https://www.511ia.org/.  You can put in your route and see the closed roads and construction.
View Quote
This is a good site. Thank you for the link.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you. I used to live in the Sandhills in central NE and absolutely loved it! But I would prefer the detour through Grand Island and Kearney as you are right. The I80 stretch is flat, straight and long! But I also miss the 75 mph speed limits. Where I am now it ranges between 55 to 70.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But if you squint, and get lucky, you may be able to see my house through the trees!
View Quote
I will try to wave as I pass .

One thing I would love to do is do an ARF Tour. Visit members in every state.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will try to wave as I pass .

One thing I would love to do is do an ARF Tour. Visit members in every state.
View Quote
if you come through des moines hit me up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells is directly off of I-80. May be worth a stop if you've got some time to kill.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

if you come through des moines hit me up.
View Quote
@ARLover

If I had some more time I would. That would be awesome.

Maybe next go round. This trip we are going to be booking. 4k miles in 2.5 week .

I do like Iowa.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brownells is directly off of I-80. May be worth a stop if you've got some time to kill.
View Quote
That was one place I was not able to go. I went to Hornady when I lived in NE but Brownells was one I didnt hit.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top