Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 6:11:17 PM EDT
Staying at the Albemarle Estate for 3 nights celebrating the wife's birthday.  We've never been to that area, well any part of VA to be specific.

Where are the best places to golf around Charlottesville?  Anything else we should check out?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd probably check out Monticello.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I've lived in VA over 40 years, and I'm disappointed I've
never made the time to visit.  

Go visit, and tell us what it was like.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to check out the Rotunda and "The Lawn" on the grounds (NOT the "campus") of the University of Virginia.

There is a commercial strip across the street called "The Corner" with several decent lunch spots. The Virginian is probably
the best of the lot. They serve a pretty good variety of sandwiches. Their Steak & Cheese sandwich was real good the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Monticello noted, as is lunch spots.  There seems to be around a half dozen or so golf courses in the area.  Best/worst?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out carter mountain. It's pretty cool. I know it's big in the fall for apple picking. Not really sure what to do during the summer but it's beautiful out there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are our favorites in that area:

Barboursville
Horton

If you like red wine, Cabernet Franc is one of the better regional grapes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Wintergreen will probably be your best bet golf wise.   Homestead is a couple hours away but one of the best in the state .
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Play the new UVA/Boars Head Inn course.  I played it back in the late fall.  Davis Love III did the recent reno on it and it's really nice.  

I play a lot at Old Trail, but it's in Crozet.  The next best bet is probably Spring Creek, but I think they are fully private now.  You might want to call and see if they can get you on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t golf, but you’ll be just a couple miles from my house when you’re at Trump.

Blenheim Vineyard is close by.

King Family is my favorite winery.  The Kings are friends of mine, and they are good conservative hard working folks originally from Texas.

Carters Mountain has great views, but their no gun policy that was posted last time I went ensured I wouldn’t be back.  But then again, that’s half the businesses in Charlottesville.

Let me know if you have any non golf questions.

And happy anniversary. wife’s birthday

ETA 2 - hope it was great, just noticed the date of the OP
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here are our favorites in that area:

Barboursville
Horton

If you like red wine, Cabernet Franc is one of the better regional grapes.
View Quote

definitely late to this party,  

however in addition to Barboursville having great ,  actually fantastic wine,
the restaurant is fantastic as well (can be pricey)

and the Inn on the grounds is a nice place to stay,
we stayed in the Nebbiolo room a few times,

local wine,, Trump is good,
Jefferson (near Monticello) is  really good

nice antique / whatever store, if open, in Greenwood,

Greenwood Grocery is worth a stop, if open, if provisions are needed (excellent beer and wine selection)

schloads of good wine,  and some good beer (Blue Mountian good eats and good beer) in the area

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over a year ago, one of the tour guides was giving a woke dissertation of Thomas Jefferson. He was an amazing racist who "wrote some words", but he must have been conflicted between his words and his racist actions. Seriously. I walked away, noticeably.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don’t golf, but you’ll be just a couple miles from my house when you’re at Trump.

Blenheim Vineyard is close by.

King Family is my favorite winery.  The Kings are friends of mine, and they are good conservative hard working folks originally from Texas.

Carters Mountain has great views, but their no gun policy that was posted last time I went ensured I wouldn’t be back.  But then again, that’s half the businesses in Charlottesville.

Let me know if you have any non golf questions.

And happy anniversary. wife’s birthday

ETA 2 - hope it was great, just noticed the date of the OP
View Quote

Wife and I like King winery.   That is the only winery I have ever been to that we found red, white, and dessert wines that we both liked.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all you replies!  We actually haven't left yet.  It ended up that she couldn't leave during the original dates, so we've moved the trip to Memorial Day weekend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Play the new UVA/Boars Head Inn course.  I played it back in the late fall.  Davis Love III did the recent reno on it and it's really nice.  

I play a lot at Old Trail, but it's in Crozet.  The next best bet is probably Spring Creek, but I think they are fully private now.  You might want to call and see if they can get you on.
View Quote

looks like Boars Head is still under reno?  I can't make heads or tails...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top