Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2017 6:29:02 AM EDT
Just received word that I'll be PCS'ing to JBER this coming summer!  I served in 1/25 SBCT at Wainwright for several years, but PCS'd to Fort Polk last summer.  Driving away from AK was one of the low points of my career.  I'm so thankful to get the opportunity to return to AK.  This will be my last PCS and will retire after this last hitch.  I can't wait to break some trail back up in the White Mountains and get a few more North Slope caribou hunts under my belt!  See y'all next summer!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to Los Anchorage
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to hear. That was fast, I didn't think you would be back for a bit longer. Happy it worked in your favor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  I'm looking forward to the drive back up.  On my first trip, we took a detour through Yellowstone and the Blackhills in SD. I hope to do something similar on the way back up.

I've only been to Anchorage a couple of times.  I look forward to exploring the area.  I suspect I'll be able to do more fishing on this tour.  Once my tour in Anchorage is complete, I hope to retire and move up to Fairbanks.

Hopefully the Army doesn't show me the green weenie between now and my proposed PCS date.  Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys!  I'm looking forward to the drive back up.  On my first trip, we took a detour through Yellowstone and the Blackhills in SD. I hope to do something similar on the way back up.

I've only been to Anchorage a couple of times.  I look forward to exploring the area.  I suspect I'll be able to do more fishing on this tour.  Once my tour in Anchorage is complete, I hope to retire and move up to Fairbanks.

Hopefully the Army doesn't show me the green weenie between now and my proposed PCS date.  Fingers crossed!
View Quote
Congrats Carl!! I’m asking for that as my next duty station too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Congrats Carl!! I’m asking for that as my next duty station too.
View Quote
Hope to see you up there man!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, you should like 4/25 better
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome back Carl
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  Am looking forward to exploring the Anchorage and southern AK, but I plan to retire and live up north in the interior.  Can't get out of Iraq and back to AK fast enough!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome back, future resident
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Just reenlisted for Wainwright
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome back, future resident
View Quote
Many thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just reenlisted for Wainwright
View Quote
Congrats to you!  Are you going to 1/25?  I'm still waiting on my request for orders.

It is already uncomfortably hot here in Iraq.  I can't wait to hit Anchorage this summer.  PCS time can not get here soon enough!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I have my request for orders.  It is hard to believe this is actually coming to fruition!  I'll be driving my family up this summer.  I can't wait for this great adventure to begin.  My last trip driving up to AK was an adventure of a lifetime.  I'm so happy to be able to experience the opportunity again!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have my request for orders.  It is hard to believe this is actually coming to fruition!  I'll be driving my family up this summer.  I can't wait for this great adventure to begin.  My last trip driving up to AK was an adventure of a lifetime.  I'm so happy to be able to experience the opportunity again!
View Quote
welcome back, even if you're only an hour from AK.  Depending on when you get here, there is a big airshow in Anchorage this summer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The army gave me the green weenie.  My branch manager (human resource guy) called me while I was in YT, Canada to notify me that my orders to AK had been deleted.  I’m now on my way to Kansas.  Not a fun day.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, that sucks.  Not to be trite, I feel your pain.  There is nothing in Kansas other than wheat and other stuff, I guess.  Some folks may like that, but shirley not I.

Mrs. Blues was in bad shape today realizing we may be here in the desert a few more months and not in Alaska.  Too much we left behind...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why does this happen?
Do they compensate you?
Are they able to reroute your household goods or do you have to wait until they arrive in AK and then have them reshipped to your new duty station?
View Quote
Subject to the needs of the Army.

They will compensate him, but it will be a runaround for a while I bet. Getting household goods rerouted will take a month or so easily but the Gov. will have to do it on their dime.

If he is using his government travel card, it will be easier for them to see what he spent, but all this confusion could cause a delay in them reimbursing him and he is still on the hook for the balance if the bill comes due before they pay out on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I did time in KS, let me know if you have questions. Initially we felt the same way but ended using enjoying it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Man that sucks, Carl.

I feel your pain though. I had a job set in stone in Anchorage that turned out to be set in mud. The never to be named fucks pulled the job and gave it to someone else.

I'm just glad I hadn't put my house on the market yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I appreciate the kind words.

One of my daughters developed a medical condition that placed her into the exceptional family member program.  The army deemed there wasn’t enough medical providers in AK to help her.

House hold goods and my wife’s vehicle is already in Anchorage.  The army will send that stuff back to us.

I suspect the army will fight me on reimbursing me for the trip from LA to almost AK.  Will see how that shakes out.

Kansas isn’t a bad duty station, but it isn’t AK.  Our plan was to retire from the army in AK.  Looks like we will have to retire in KS and make our way back up there.

And to add insult to injury, we sold our washer, dryer, ground blinds and bow hunting stands in preparation to head north.

:)
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn.    Keep us posted and good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#23]
You know how to make God laugh?

Make a plan.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You know how to make God laugh?

Make a plan.
View Quote
Yea, I suppose so :). I’m trying to get back into back powder to help make chasing squirrels and white tails a bit more interesting.

Thanksfully my daughter is doing much better.  Am hopeful that we will be headed back north....again, next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top