Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2020 12:34:13 AM EDT
Anyone in PA ever manage to vacation in Hawaii for 1 week? Including flights both ways, maybe stretch to 8 days if needed.

Too much or can it be done in a sort of relaxing way?

Also, if you managed to pull it off how much did you spend out of pocket during the trip beside the air and hotel including resort fees?

Which island / where did you stay?

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I went in 2016. Flew out one day from Philly (to Phoenix and then to Honolulu). Spent two full days after that on Oahu, mainly to visit Pearl Harbor. Then flew to the Big Island for two full days. Then flew back (Hilo to Honolulu to LAX to PHL).
Would have been nice if we had more time, but we didn't feel rushed. Just have in mind what you want to see / places to visit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to Hawaii from Vegas after SHOT two or three years ago. I was a little jet lagged from that flight and having been in Vegas for a week or so with a smaller time difference.

Coming back was hell (red eye).

What were you planning to do?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone in PA ever manage to vacation in Hawaii for 1 week? Including flights both ways, maybe stretch to 8 days if needed.

Too much or can it be done in a sort of relaxing way?

Also, if you managed to pull it off how much did you spend out of pocket during the trip beside the air and hotel including resort fees?

Which island / where did you stay?

Any advice is appreciated.
View Quote
went for 1 week in 2008.  flew out of Pittsburgh.  Layover was in Chicago.  If I had to do it again I would layover out west somewhere.  The flight sucks. I will spend the dollars for 1st class next time if ever.  We had a great time, but the flight killed it for us.

I stayed at one of the more expensive places on O'ahu, Turtle Bay Resort.  Its on the North Shore.  We figured, why go all the way to HI and stay in a big city? BTW rush hour traffic in Honolulu is horrible.  8 lanes of misery at 5 AM.  I had a rental car and that kept us off of the bus trips and all that bullshit the resorts pawn off as free transportation.  Maybe its great for some people, but we are not typical, go with the crowd type tourists.
We had a very relaxing time.

Visited  Pearl Harbor, the highlight of our trip.
Went on a helo tour by Paradise Helicopters. That was amazing. Flew over Pearl. You can see all the sunken vessels.  Also sightseeing from the air.

We took a plane over to Maui to see the volcanoes. If I do it again, I would do a chopper tour there too. We rented a Jeep, which at that time was the only way to get to the volcanoes lava flow.  You had to drive over the cold lava for like 10 miles to get close. We stayed overnight and flew back the next day.

We visited a friend of mine who lives there.
We went hiking, swimming and visited a bunch of touristy places.

I spent $2500 extra, this includes the Helo tour, couples massage on the beach, spa services, gas, food, drinks, entrance fees to stuff, etc.  I spent around $4500 for the flights  (6 total), rental cars (2), 1 week at Turtle Bay, 1 night on O'ahu.

Food is super expensive.  I remember walking into a McDonalds and seeing a Happy Meal was $11.00 and thats what I got cuz a #1 was $20.  That was the only time we ate fast food. If you want to save money on food, find a deli and get  sandwiches or hoagies made to take with you on your road trips for lunch. We found a deli near the Banzai Pipeline that catered to locals and surfers.

Gas was $5 per gallon.

The worst part of my trip, was finding out Obummer got elected. We voted absentee ballot because we knew we would be on the trip and couldn't vote at home.  The locals went apeshit/happy and we wanted to barf.

Edited to add.  this is for two adults.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to Hawaii from Vegas after SHOT two or three years ago. I was a little jet lagged from that flight and having been in Vegas for a week or so with a smaller time difference.

Coming back was hell (red eye).

What were you planning to do?
View Quote
We haven’t figured out what we want to do just yet, my wife just wants to visit Hawaii. Wish I could talk her into postponing until finances are better and we have a better handle on why we’re going and what we want to see and do. Was able to push it back 6 more weeks so I have a little breathing room.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived in oahu for a few years theres stuff to do on the islands that dont cost to much . Its been a while but the flight time was usually between 12 and 14 hrs counting lay overs. For a donation of whatever you want you can vist the most beautiful Buddhist temple ive ever seen in kaneohe about a 40 min drive from downtown Waikiki.  Best burgers i had in my life was from a little place on Waikiki called teddy burger. As far as beaches stay away from Waikiki beach and honoma bay there over priced tourist traps. Theres a beach called sharks cove its out towards kaneohe its beautiful and has decent surf at one end if you surf. They have an open air market in downtown Waikiki thats cool but most stuff in Waikiki is overpriced for the tourists. Head up to the north shore if you want a more authentic hawaii. Also do not go on the beaches in oahu after dark any of them, after dark the hobos and meth heads take over the beach no joke at all. The big island and maui are far more beautiful but also can get very expensive.  Any others questions i can help with ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top