Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2018 9:03:21 PM EDT
Renting a Jeep, but with the National Park closed where else can I respectfully visit and not piss off locals but still enjoy myself?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the island is still open for business.  i am on oahu so i can’t really comment on what the air quality is like on Hawaii island because it all depends on the prevailing winds.  From what i heard, the eruption is just affecting Puna and the SO2 is blowing into Kau districts.  Ironically, Volcano Town has better air than most of the island.  There is a winery there that is still open.  I would enjoy some beers at Kona Brewing in Kona and Big Island Brehaus in Waimea, and of course Kona coffee is everywhere.   Maybe a deep sea fishing charter or zip line excursion would be fun.  Tourism fell by 50% so there are a lot of opportunities for fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Renting a Jeep, but with the National Park closed where else can I respectfully visit and not piss off locals but still enjoy myself?
View Quote
Don't take any rocks or soil home with you.  Wash your feet and soles of your shoes before leaving the Islands.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya the last time my brother took a bag of black sand home..  He ended up with a brain tumor...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I live on the Big Island and 99% of the island is still open.  The highway that passes through the Volcano National Park is still open and passes pretty close to Halemaumau crater.  Wife and I are going to head that way this weekend for a look.

Waimea has a pair of good Farmer's Markets on Saturday morning where you can get good food and local products.  The one at Parker School is the better of the two.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Heading out Sunday. Any must see locations? Food-beaches, and views?

Mahalo!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heading out Sunday. Any must see locations? Food-beaches, and views?

Mahalo!
View Quote
What side of the island?  They don't call it the "Big Island" for nothing.

Honestly, if you can afford it, take a helicopter tour of the eruption.  I strongly recommend Paradise Helicopters out of their Hilo location and take the "doors off" tour for $324 per person for a 45 minute view of the active eruption. Paradise Helicopters

Wife and I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was an awesome, once in a lifetime experience.  I took the photo below:

Attachment Attached File

How long are you staying?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember a good beach in the northeast part of the island that you needed a jeep to get down a steep road to get down to. Any idea what it's called?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember a good beach in the northeast part of the island that you needed a jeep to get down a steep road to get down to. Any idea what it's called?
View Quote
Waipio valley requires a jeep but it isn't northeast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top