Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2020 5:30:27 PM EDT
------- UPDATE -------
Per the votes, we're going to do a modified version of Cumberland Valley Overlook from Valley Road.  We'll take the AT south to the Cumberland Valley overlook, and then make an audible for heading to Dean's gap or Miller's gap to complete the 6 miles.

Meet & park at the Appalachian trail parking on Valley Rd.  Let's plan to meet at 9 AM, step off at 9:15 to avoid the heat.  

We're going by State Gameland rules, meaning concealed / open carry is permitted, but you need a valid PA-LTC if the firearm is not permitted for hunting.  I believe this is the law in affect for where we are hiking, but if someone more familiar had better info, please post it.  

Send me a PM if you're planning to attend, so we have an accurate count.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks, and a great hike!

------- END UPDATE -------
I threatened, I mean promised to try to organize a BB hike the next time I headed up to PA in the APC thread in GD.  

Well, the time has come. For those who are looking for a walk in the woods, I'm planning a BB hike on Saturday August 15th.  I was first thinking this route on the Appalachian trail, but that might be a bit aggressive for a newly formed large group.

So, in true ARF fashion, I'm putting up a poll.  These routes are straight off off AllTrails.  We can trim or extend them as required to meet the 6 mile target, and adjust based on the group day of.

The route picked will dictate who can carry what arms that day.  (I'm still familiarizing myself with current PA carry laws).  We'll publish official what we're going to do about that a week out, but in the mean while, I don't want anyone catching a poaching charge because we hiked through the state game lands.
Cove Mountain, 8.3 miles (hard)
This contains a sub-section of the first trail I proposed.  It also has the great view at Hawk Rock Overlook.  (Or it was a great view 20 years ago, the last time I hiked it).

Lamb's Gap Trail 6.6 miles (moderate)
A loop trek through State Game Lands 170, links up to other trails.

Darington Trail 8.7 miles (moderate)
Same step off as Lambs Gap, straight west until we hit the AT.

Cumberland Valley Overlook from Valley Road, 5.1 miles (moderate)
Mostly wooded out and back down the Appalachian trail, intersects the turn around point for the Darington Trail route.  

@brasscrossedrifles
@PA-Minuteman
@Ben
@dlm1984

More @'s later
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What time were you thinking?

@brasscrossedrifles and I are shooting a match that day that I'm expecting to run from 07:30 to 15:30 or a bit later. I'd be into an evening trip, but I realize that's probably a tough sell to others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
@homeyclaus
@Apec
@sky­dive70
@USMC2671
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
@longhunter09
@N2CH_556
@WhiskersTheCat
@GunLvrPHD
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
@DK-Prof
@ghdf1357
@NathanC
@SonofLiberty1775
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
@JustinHEMI04
@TacX
@Metzger31

I think that covers the usual crew and everyone who asked to be @'ed
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What time were you thinking?

@brasscrossedrifles and I are shooting a match that day that I'm expecting to run from 07:30 to 15:30 or a bit later. I'd be into an evening trip, but I realize that's probably a tough sell to others.
View Quote

Defiantly want to step off in the morning.  Kicking off in the mid day heat will be brutal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of them look great. Four issues:

1) It's very unlikely I can make it that weekend.
2) It is a trek up to PA (2.5 hours or so).
3) There is a big gun show in Harrisburg that weekend.
4) Consider going up Friday evening, camping, then getting an early start on the trail then hitting the gun show in Harrisburg. Alternatively, hit Gettysburg for a while (also a potential picking/packing location).
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I threatened, I mean promised to try to organize a BB hike the next time I headed up to PA in the APC thread in GD.  

Well, the time has come. For those who are looking for a walk in the woods, I'm planning a BB hike on Saturday August 15th.  I was first thinking this route on the Appalachian trail, but that might be a bit aggressive for a newly formed large group.
View Quote

At first I was like but then I realized the contour intervals are probably in feet and not meters.

In all seriousness, that would be a pretty advanced movement. I'm probably barely in good enough shape to do that. If we SP any later than dawn, its going to be way too fucking hot.

So, in true ARF fashion, I'm putting up a poll.  These routes are straight off off AllTrails.  We can trim or extend them as required to meet the 6 mile target, and adjust based on the group day of.

The route picked will dictate who can carry what arms that day.  (I'm still familiarizing myself with current PA carry laws).  We'll publish official what we're going to do about that a week out, but in the mean while, I don't want anyone catching a poaching charge because we hiked through the state game lands.

Cove Mountain, 8.3 miles (hard)
This contains a sub-section of the first trail I proposed.  It also has the great view at Hawk Rock Overlook.  (Or it was a great view 20 years ago, the last time I hiked it).

Lamb's Gap Trail 6.6 miles (moderate)
A loop trek through State Game Lands 170, links up to other trails.

Darington Trail 8.7 miles (moderate)
Same step off as Lambs Gap, straight west until we hit the AT.

Cumberland Valley Overlook from Valley Road, 5.1 miles (moderate)
Mostly wooded out and back down the Appalachian trail, intersects the turn around point for the Darington Trail route.  

@brasscrossedrifles
@PA-Minuteman
@Ben
@dlm1984

More @'s later
View Quote

I still don't know PA laws for certain either. I know everywhere we have been so far has had restrictions posted at the location, either by the municipality that owns the park or by the Game Commission. The Game Lands route is probably not okay to open carry a long gun at all, probably okay to carry certain kinds of fudd guns sometimes, ARs probably never.

As @dlm1984 pointed out, we are shooting in a match that day. It's going to be hot on the range, I'm probably going to be wiped out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be at the race track for motorcycle racing that weekend.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be at the race track for motorcycle racing that weekend.
View Quote

That is a valid excuse, and if there were a 7th poll option, motorcycle racing weekend would be it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At first I was like but then I realized the contour intervals are probably in feet and not meters.

In all seriousness, that would be a pretty advanced movement. I'm probably barely in good enough shape to do that. If we SP any later than dawn, its going to be way too fucking hot.

I still don't know PA laws for certain either. I know everywhere we have been so far has had restrictions posted at the location, either by the municipality that owns the park or by the Game Commission. The Game Lands route is probably not okay to open carry a long gun at all, probably okay to carry certain kinds of fudd guns sometimes, ARs probably never.

As @dlm1984 pointed out, we are shooting in a match that day. It's going to be hot on the range, I'm probably going to be wiped out.
View Quote

Yeah, the 13  mile round trip is a bit too aggressive.  Especially for mid August.

If you're at a match that day, I wouldn't push it to do both.  Besides, shooting matches, like motorcycle racing are BB sanctioned activities!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4) Consider going up Friday evening, camping, then getting an early start on the trail then hitting the gun show in Harrisburg. Alternatively, hit Gettysburg for a while (also a potential picking/packing location).
View Quote

I didn't realize there was a show that weekend.  Bonus event?

I thought about Gettysburg, but I think someone else is planning to organize a hike there later in the year.  

I'm more than willing to organize another one in the fall when it's cooler.  But my schedule's locked in for the 15th this cycle due to family stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great Idea

I'm on vacation that week so I'm down for anything
Just let me know where and when, And TBH I don't see the Gun Show happening that weekend because of our Commie POS Governor would shut it down because of "covid" and "feels"
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
@jjgrappler
@Henny
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@jjgrappler
@Henny
View Quote

See DM!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I am fairly familiar with SGL170 so I voted for Lambs Gap.

Edit: I just clicked the links and realized that all of these are on SGL170.  Cool!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great Idea

Just let me know where and when, And TBH I don't see the Gun Show happening that weekend because of our Commie POS Governor would shut it down because of "covid" and "feels"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great Idea

There was a show in Lebanon Co 2 weeks ago.  It was packed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There was a show in Lebanon Co 2 weeks ago.  It was packed.
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the mention, and will be tracking this! I'll know a little closer to the date.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the mention! Unfortunately working, the bad part of rotating shift work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I just saw this now.  I can make it, but I’m not sure how I will feel by then as I just had surgery on the 30th.  I’m still very sore and I don’t think I will be able to carry the weight by the 15th.  I’ll still come out for support and maybe some distance light footed.  Let me know if this will still be on or rescheduled.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just saw this now.  I can make it, but I’m not sure how I will feel by then as I just had surgery on the 30th.  I’m still very sore and I don’t think I will be able to carry the weight by the 15th.  I’ll still come out for support and maybe some distance light footed.  Let me know if this will still be on or rescheduled.
View Quote

It's still on, even if it's just me tromping through my old (literal) hunting grounds.  

As the day approaches, take an honest assessment of your health to determine if you can do it.  The minimum we'll ask you to carry is your own water, and we can distribute load across whomever else is there.  

It won't be the area hike last.  If you just want to stop by and say hello at step off, that's welcome too.  Networking and meeting / greeting to arrange the next hike is part of the benefit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's still on, even if it's just me tromping through my old (literal) hunting grounds.  

As the day approaches, take an honest assessment of your health to determine if you can do it.  The minimum we'll ask you to carry is your own water, and we can distribute load across whomever else is there.  

It won't be the area hike last.  If you just want to stop by and say hello at step off, that's welcome too.  Networking and meeting / greeting to arrange the next hike is part of the benefit.
View Quote
I'm still on, I'm going to try and get my Provisional Rating on this hike
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the heads-up.  Will have to decide/commit as we get closer to the date.

We planning on maintaining the 3mph minimum pace?  That may be... optimistic if the terrain/elevation is greater than the W&OD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads-up.  Will have to decide/commit as we get closer to the date.

We planning on maintaining the 3mph minimum pace?  That may be... optimistic if the terrain/elevation is greater than the W&OD.
View Quote

That's why I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical with 60 pounds in the plate carrier when the storm rolled through!

Also, my legs hurt and I can't get to sleep.  

You think there's any correlation?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's why I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical with 60 pounds in the plate carrier when the storm rolled through!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Definitely not!

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the mention.  I'm very interested in a local BB hike, but can't make the August 15th due to prior commitments.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, let's call it - Cumberland Valley Overlook from Valley Road.  I'll map out the extra leg to get us to 6+ miles, and publish full updated info in the first post.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Per the votes, we're going to do a modified version of Cumberland Valley Overlook from Valley Road.  We'll take the AT south to the Cumberland Valley overlook, and then make an audible for heading to Dean's gap or Miller's gap to complete the 6 miles.

Meet & park at the Appalachian trail parking on Valley Rd.  Let's plan to meet at 9 AM, step off at 9:15 to avoid the heat.  

We're going by State Gameland rules, meaning concealed / open carry is permitted, but you need a valid PA-LTC if the firearm is not permitted for hunting.  I believe this is the law in affect for where we are hiking, but if someone more familiar had better info, please post it.  

Send me a PM if you're planning to attend, so we have an accurate count.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks, and a great hike!
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Cant wait!
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]
@Jenzilla and I are in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Jenzilla and I are in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#34]
What kinda turnout are we looking at?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What kinda turnout are we looking at?
View Quote
Don't know but I'm coming, plan on getting there a little early
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#36]
@Ben,

Right now it's 5.5 with you, Jenn & plus 1.  Three tentatives and several who haven't gotten back yet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm out.   Unfortunately, I'm going to be working this weekend.

Y'all have fun.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]
See you boys tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
See you boys tomorrow
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#40]
If we get more Virginians than Pennsylvanians...
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm currently up in the air.  I have a shit ton of work to catch up on, but want to hike.  I will make the call tomorrow when I wake up.

Is it safe to assume that the 45 lb ruck is not a requirement to hike?

I have not had time to pack or weigh stuff.  I will also have the puppy with me and she is a handful without the added weight.  I'm not trying to get a rank.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm currently up in the air.  I have a shit ton of work to catch up on, but want to hike.  I will make the call tomorrow when I wake up.

I have not had time to pack or weigh stuff.  I will also have the puppy with me and she is a handful without the added weight.  I'm not trying to get a rank.
View Quote

Showing up is more important that 45 lbs.  You're more than welcome to show up with just the puppy.

In fact, you are encouraged to bring the puppy!

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey dudes-

The wife and baby both are not feeling so great, so I might end up having to bail for tomorrow. I'll see how baby sleeps tonight and how him and wife are feeling when we get up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hey dudes-

The wife and baby both are not feeling so great, so I might end up having to bail for tomorrow. I'll see how baby sleeps tonight and how him and wife are feeling when we get up.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  Text me in the AM when you know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If we get more Virginians than Pennsylvanians...
View Quote
We better get more then you Virginians or I'm going to be pissed
Quoted:

View Quote
Hope you come, it will be a great time! (you can always catch up on work, setting up a hike is alot harder )
Quoted:
Hey dudes-

View Quote
Hope you guys feel ok, would like to hike with you but family comes first brother
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Showing up is more important that 45 lbs.  You're more than welcome to show up with just the puppy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  I have a pre-packed day pack for short hikes and deer scouting.  I'll just put some extra water in that and go light.  I'm now 80% as showing up (can't let VA folks outnumber us in my back yard).
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.  Text me in the AM when you know.
View Quote

Jen is getting dressed- looks like we are a go. See you soon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Have a great morning out there!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I made it here. Waiting for people to start showing up
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry I missed it.  I wasn't feeling great and decided to catch up on work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top