Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2022 11:51:38 PM EDT
I have a hypothesis that there is no law or code that prevents a property owner in unincorporated Harris County from shooting recreationally on their property.

I would like anyone who can disprove this hypothesis to point out which specific law or code does prevent this.
I have not yet found or been shown one.

I mean even down to shooting in the backyard of a 1/8 acre house in a subdivision. As long as you don't violate any noise ordinance and no projectile leaves the property. Granted if one were to do this, it should only be done in an assuredly safe manner.

Please avoid speculation, and please do not cite the "10 acre rule", as this rule does not disallow shooting,  but prevents a locality from imposing a restriction on shooting on properties over 10 acres.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you think it curbs shooting in the city of Houston proper?

Dallas 911 dispatch wouldn't send anyone out for me unless bullets were hitting our house.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend owned a run down 1/2 acre to an acre at Rohdes and Kuykendahl.

We shot there numerous times and someone from the surrounding subdivision called the cops every time and they never did anything to us because they couldn't.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a hypothesis that there is no law or code that prevents a property owner in unincorporated Harris County from shooting recreationally on their property.

I would like anyone who can disprove this hypothesis to point out which specific law or code does prevent this.
I have not yet found or been shown one.

I mean even down to shooting in the backyard of a 1/8 acre house in a subdivision. As long as you don't violate any noise ordinance and no projectile leaves the property. Granted if one were to do this, it should only be done in an assuredly safe manner.

Please avoid speculation, and please do not cite the "10 acre rule", as this rule does not disallow shooting,  but prevents a locality from imposing a restriction on shooting on properties over 10 acres.
View Quote

Your gonna have to research Harris County ordinances. Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres. So your example would be wrong for Collin.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dallas 911 dispatch wouldn't send anyone out for me unless bullets were hitting our house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have not seen any city ordinance that does, but I have not researched City ordinances thoroughly.

Quoted:
My friend owned a run down 1/2 acre to an acre at Rohdes and Kuykendahl.

We shot there numerous times and someone from the surrounding subdivision called the cops every time and they never did anything to us because they couldn't.

Interesting.  Did you ever end up interacting with LEO in those instances (and what did they say?) or did they just never even bother to come out for activity that is legal?

Quoted:

Your gonna have to research Harris County ordinances. Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres. So your example would be wrong for Collin.

I have researched county ordinances, I was hoping to discuss with others who had as well, or had experiences such as 762SR25 does.
Yes, I know some counties do regulate, that is the point of this endeavor, to affirm that Harris does not.
My example would not be wrong for Collin, you must have misunderstood.  As I stated, the 10 acre rule does nothing other than impose a restriction on localities from disallowing shooting on 10+ acre properties.  It is a state law and a distinct statute from the ordinance Collin has enacted on properties under 10 acres.  You can read the text if you'd like in Texas Local Government Code Title 7, Chapter 229.002 and 229.003.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My example would not be wrong for Collin, you must have misunderstood.  As I stated, the 10 acre rule does nothing other than impose a restriction on localities from disallowing shooting on 10+ acre properties.  It is a state law and a distinct statute from the ordinance Collin has enacted on properties under 10 acres.  You can read the text if you'd like in Texas Local Government Code Title 7, Chapter 229.002 and 229.003.
View Quote

No you misunderstood. Your example is wrong for Collin County.

As I said, "Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres."

You cannot shoot on your 1/8 acre house in a subdivision in Collin County.

This is the law that allows the county to enact the ordinace (it is different from the so- called 10 acre rule your cite which applies to municipalities)

Sec. 235.022.  AUTHORITY TO REGULATE.  To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Here is a note from Officer Friendly reminding folks of the ordinance:

Firearm discharge in unincorporated subdivisions
Sergeant/PIO Jessica Pond from Collin County Sheriff's Office · 28 Sep 20

We thought it a good time to remind folks living in unincorporated subdivisions that it's legal to discharge firearms on private lots of more than 10 acres.

Collin County Commissioners Court voted in 2005 to only restrict the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10 acres or smaller, in accordance with Local Government Code 235.022.

A violation of the restriction is a Class C misdemeanor, but we also want residents to remember the 12-year-old ruling does not apply to every lot in rural subdivisions.

Regardless of where you live, please be safe.

28 Sep 20 · Subscribers of Collin County Sheriff's Office in Safety

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No you misunderstood. Your example is wrong for Collin County.

As I said, "Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres."

You cannot shoot on your 1/8 acre house in a subdivision in Collin County.

This is the law that allows the county to enact the ordinace (it is different from the so- called 10 acre rule your cite which applies to municipalities)

Sec. 235.022.  AUTHORITY TO REGULATE.  To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.
View Quote

Nope.  Again, state law is distinct from county regulations and municipal ordinances.  The state laws you and I both quoted regard a county and municipality's authority to impose a restriction on shooting.  It does nothing to restrict a person's ability to shoot.  Only a county order or municipality ordinance can do that.  As you pointed out, Collin county has such a county order.  This order is what prevents someone in Collin from shooting on their <10ac property and is completely distinct from the aforementioned state laws, which do not.
The county court order for Collin county is Commissioner's Court Order No. 2005-388-05-24.  This is the exact type of order this thread is about.  NOT the state laws, which are wholly irrelevant to the point of discussion.  You are completely derailing the purpose of this thread with the exact topic I asked not to do so with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As you pointed out, Collin county has such a county order.  This order is what prevents someone in Collin from shooting on their <10ac property
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As you pointed out, Collin county has such a county order.  This order is what prevents someone in Collin from shooting on their <10ac property

What I said TWICE.

"Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres."

eta

Quoted:
NOT the state laws, which are wholly irrelevant to the point of discussion.  You are completely derailing the purpose of this thread with the exact topic I asked not to do so with.

You are the only one who keeps mentioning the "10 acre" state law.

No wonder nobody else is jumping in to help you.

Jeez.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Some counties do regulate. Collin for example regulates subdivision less than 10 acres."

View Quote

That is not only plainly obvious, but explicitly stated in my OP and the entire point of this thread.  Please re-read the original post, you have completely misunderstood the entire purpose of this thread.  Or simply stop posting because you are contributing absolutely nothing to the purpose of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or simply stop posting because you are contributing absolutely nothing to the purpose of this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Or simply stop posting because you are contributing absolutely nothing to the purpose of this thread.

You are more confused than Joe Biden.

Which is it, I am "contributing absolutely nothing" (ABOVE) or I contributed "exact type of order this thread is about" (BELOW)

Quoted:

The county court order for Collin county is Commissioner's Court Order No. 2005-388-05-24.  This is the exact type of order this thread is about.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
So anyway, ignoring the man with nothing to contribute who came in here just to hear himself talk and spray shit all over the walls, Harris County has an easily searchable page of County Regulations, but does not have a simple listing of all standing County Orders.
I've combed through what they do have accessible and searched some other sources but still have not come across any County Order or Regulation that prohibits shooting on land under 10 acres. It's promising, but still not definitive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So anyway, ignoring the man with nothing to contribute who came in here just to hear himself talk and spray shit all over the walls, Harris County has an easily searchable page of County Regulations, but does not have a simple listing of all standing County Orders.
I've combed through what they do have accessible and searched some other sources but still have not come across any County Order or Regulation that prohibits shooting on land under 10 acres. It's promising, but still not definitive.
View Quote

ROFL.

I have contributed the most, even more than you. You got butt hurt I pointed out your example would be wrong for Collin County and instead of ignoring it and moving on you shit all over your own thread in an attempt to prove you are right - 4 posts and counting now.

By your own admission I contributed a collin county order "This is the exact type of order this thread is about."

I also contributed the point you need to search Harris County Ordinances ("Your gonna have to research Harris County ordinances"), which apparently you are trying to do now.

Do you need the HC Order number?

Your Welcome.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ROFL.

I have contributed the most, even more than you. You got butt hurt I pointed out your example would be wrong for Collin County and instead of ignoring it and moving on you shit all over your own thread in an attempt to prove you are right - 4 posts and counting now.

By your own admission I contributed a collin county order "This is the exact type of order this thread is about."

I also contributed the point you need to search Harris County Ordinances ("Your gonna have to research Harris County ordinances"), which apparently you are trying to do now.

Do you need the HC Order number?

Your Welcome.
View Quote

Well, since this thread is now thoroughly trashed...

Man, if you honestly think that me telling you that's the type of order I'm talking about was me telling you that is somehow contribution to the topic man you are even dumber than I thought.
And you continue to not even grasp basic comprehension of simple concepts posted in the very first post.
It's very rare to come across someone so brain dead as you.
You honestly believe telling me that Collin county having an order is contribution to a thread that says "hey some counties have orders, let's confirm harris does not". That fact is established in the very premise you mongoloid.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Back to shit in your own thread.

Quoted:
You honestly believe telling me that Collin county having an order is contribution to a thread

Your words,  not mine:

"The county court order for Collin county is Commissioner's Court Order No. 2005-388-05-24. This is the exact type of order this thread is about."
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Back to shit in your own thread.

Your words,  not mine:

"This is the exact type of order this thread is about."
View Quote

Yes those are my words.  And you unironically believe that statement is somehow telling you that it is a contribution lmfao
You are so dense you still cannot comprehend how stupid that is.  Go ahead, think on that for a minute.  Maybe try your hardest to comprehend the first post again and you MIGHT come to understand why that is such an idiotic thing you believe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes those are my words.  And you unironically believe that statement is somehow telling you that it is a contribution lmfao
You are so dense you still cannot comprehend how stupid that is.  Go ahead, think on that for a minute.  Maybe try your hardest to comprehend the first post again and you MIGHT come to understand why that is such an idiotic thing you believe.
View Quote

You are the one who cannot find the info and came out of hibernation to ask here, then immediately shit in your own thread and still do not have the answer you are looking for. Well played.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You are the one who cannot find the info and came out of hibernation to ask here, then immediately shit in your own thread and still do not have the answer you are looking for. Well played.

View Quote

Hahahaha you still haven't even comprehended the VERY FIRST post, oh man, you are something else.  Go ahead, go re-read it and hopefully realize what a moron you are.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hahahaha you still haven't even comprehended the VERY FIRST post, oh man, you are something else.  Go ahead, go re-read it and hopefully realize what a moron you are.
View Quote

Like any of us who have the info you seek would help you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Like any of us who have the info you seek would help you.
View Quote

LMAO you still think Collin County has anything to do with this hahahaha yeah man you sure have the important info.  
Look, I'm sorry you can't shoot in your county, but don't take your stupidity out on others.

"Hey guys, I know some counties have regulations banning shooting, and Harris doesn't seem to have one, yall concur?"
"Huurrrrr hey Collin county has a regulation!"
Yes, Cletus... very good.  Now run along and let the grown ups talk....

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LMAO you still think Collin County has anything to do with this hahahaha yeah man you sure have the important info.  
Look, I'm sorry you can't shoot in your county, but don't take your stupidity out on others.

"Hey guys, I know some counties have regulations banning shooting, and Harris doesn't seem to have one, yall concur?"
"Huurrrrr hey Collin county has a regulation!"
Yes, Cletus... very good.  Now run along and let the grown ups talk....

View Quote

LOL I do not need to come onto a forum to find out what one can shoot.

And I have enough property to shoot any firearm made, anytime, and detonate any explosive made. Land helicopters and planes too. Fun times.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOL I do not need to come onto a forum to find out what one can shoot.

And I have enough property to shoot any firearm made, anytime, and detonate any explosive made. Land helicopters and planes too. Fun times.
View Quote

And yet you're sitting on your ass trolling forums for thirty seven thousand posts
You're skin is getting translucent, friend, go get some fresh air!
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The original poster is asking a simple to understand question.  Did Harris county enact or does Harris county have any regulation or regulations that limit of prohibited discharge of a firearm on private property that is 10 acres or less in size.

I don’t live in Harris county and I never will because Harris county sucks. That having been said, I don’t know if discharging a firearm on private property that is at or under 10 acres of area is regulated or prohibited at the county level.

I do believe that something is mentioned in the Texas Parks and Wildlife pages about requiring a shooter in Harris county to carry on their person a written permission slip from the land owner or agent while shooting on the private property.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have not seen any city ordinance that does, but I have not researched City ordinances thoroughly.

Interesting.  Did you ever end up interacting with LEO in those instances (and what did they say?) or did they just never even bother to come out for activity that is legal?

I have researched county ordinances, I was hoping to discuss with others who had as well, or had experiences such as 762SR25 does.
Yes, I know some counties do regulate, that is the point of this endeavor, to affirm that Harris does not.
View Quote

We interacted every time.  Said they were just coming out to make sure nothing illegal was going on and then went on their way.

No telling what the subdivision Karens were calling in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The original poster is asking a simple to understand question.  Did Harris county enact or does Harris county have any regulation or regulations that limit of prohibited discharge of a firearm on private property that is 10 acres or less in size.

I don’t live in Harris county and I never will because Harris county sucks. That having been said, I don’t know if discharging a firearm on private property that is at or under 10 acres of area is regulated or prohibited at the county level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Surprising that nobody here has the answer to this relatively simple question.

I do believe that something is mentioned in the Texas Parks and Wildlife pages about requiring a shooter in Harris county to carry on their person a written permission slip from the land owner or agent while shooting on the private property.

Easy:
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And yet you're sitting on your ass trolling forums for thirty seven thousand posts
You're skin is getting translucent, friend, go get some fresh air!
View Quote

OP, you got an answer you don't like it.  So sad.  Hit the internet and scour the local ordinances or hire an attorney since you seem so high and mighty with your constant indignation to anyone offering up answers to your question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I have never seen any ordinance that generally prohibits shooting on private property in Harris County or Houston.  I am reasonably sure that none exists.  Disorderly conduct (42.12) prohibits discharge of a firearm in a city with a population of over 100,000, but that does not affect unincorporated harris county.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We interacted every time.  Said they were just coming out to make sure nothing illegal was going on and then went on their way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice.  That's good confirmation on the LE side of things.

Quoted:
OP, you got an answer you don't like it.  So sad.  Hit the internet and scour the local ordinances or hire an attorney since you seem so high and mighty with your constant indignation to anyone offering up answers to your question.

Nah, just one troll who has now left.  Thanks for posting, though.

Quoted:
I have never seen any ordinance that generally prohibits shooting on private property in Harris County or Houston.  I am reasonably sure that none exists.  Disorderly conduct (42.12) prohibits discharge of a firearm in a city with a population of over 100,000, but that does not affect unincorporated harris county.

Yep, same.  None exists.  Which is pretty nice considering there are even rural counties that have such a restriction.  Count one positive thing for Harris.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was coming to contribute on two points of this post,

(A) Bradleyswine is correct that Texas Parks & Wildlife does specifically reference the requirement that a shooter in Harris County carry on their person a written permission slip from the land owner or agent while shooting on the private property.    I'd bet there have been incidences of "people" popping off rounds and claiming "Manuel & Jesus said it was bueno" (when the land actually belonged to Mike & Jerry and they didn't allow strangers to shoot on their land)

And (B) yes, Harris County SUCKS ...  

My sympathy & respect to those trying to hold the line in that crime ridden shit hole...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top