Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 3:52:00 PM EDT
I have a handgun that was my FIL's that was registered to him in 1989. He recently passed and I need to register it.  How do I handle this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
When my fil passed seems like the sheriff told my mil to sign the Ri60 and put POA (power of attorney) after her name. It’s been a few years though. I would assume whoever is the executor of the estate would be the one to sign it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Get an out of state CPL and don't register anything?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a purchase permit or RI-60 if you have a CPL.  Have your mother sign it as the seller with your Dad's name, her name, and either "next of kin" or "executor" after her name.  Should be fine.

What are the legal responsibilities with inheriting a handgun in michigan
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx guys, no MIL, he was the last of the generation. My wife is the executor so I assume she’ll just be the signer on his behalf.   That’s convenient.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure the new RI-60 form doesn't even have the seller sign off, only the buyer. So you should be good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the new RI-60 form doesn't even have the seller sign off, only the buyer. So you should be good.
View Quote

I just looked and it does have a seller’s signature block.   I’ll just have the wife as on his behalf as the executor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
No seller signature.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks, I was looking at an old one:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Hmm, local FFL is using the one from 2018
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top