Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2021 9:21:30 AM EDT
Son is getting ready to turn 18 and he is asking to get a handgun for his birthday.  He has been shooting various guns for about 8 years now, he is very safety conscious and pretty squared away, knows his way around them.  The gun will be stored in my safe and he will have limited access except when we go shooting etc.  Question is how old do you have to be to buy a handgun in Virginia?  Seems I am getting some conflicting answers when I looked it up.  If the age is 21 can I buy the gun and gift it to him for his birthday?  

Appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_FAQ.shtm

21 years old to purchase or possess a handgun. 18 for rifles or shotguns.

VA Code 18.2-308.7 has specifics on underage persons possessing firearms.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_FAQ.shtm

21 years old to purchase or possess a handgun. 18 for rifles or shotguns.

VA Code 18.2-308.7 has specifics on underage persons possessing firearms.
View Quote

Read your own link again.
You can own/posses at 18
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.. 18 can own.  Just can`t buy.  VA law is nuanced ..  But it and gift it before next July when that may change.  I guess they can change it earlier, but the normal cycle is July for enactment. Buy him two!  A 22 for  heavy practice and something 9 or above for social work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
He should build it himself… Polymer80.

It’s fun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He should build it himself… Polymer80.

It’s fun.
View Quote

It is. They aren't always the most reliable builds though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Further clarification - 18+ can buy in private transactions, just not from FFLs.

But this should be a non-issue if you are gifting it to him outright.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Virginia needs to put out a flow chart.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah.. 18 can own.  Just can`t buy.  VA law is nuanced ..  But it and gift it before next July when that may change.  I guess they can change it earlier, but the normal cycle is July for enactment. Buy him two!  A 22 for  heavy practice and something 9 or above for social work.
View Quote

I like the way you think.
Glock 44 (.22lr the same size as a 19)
Glock 19 (9mm)
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The G19 made me think of CCW permit.. Looks like 21 for that. So,
21 for CCW permit
21 to purchase from dealer
18 to own
18 for a gift
18 for FTF sale via State Police
That leaves open carry which would assume is 18 since he can own. Has anything been left out?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember being carded in Walmart once for 9mm which made me think of age restriction on ammo purchase.. ATF says 21 to purchase pistol ammo..
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-customer-have-be-certain-age-buy-firearms-or-ammunition-licensee
9 mm rifles exist. Is 9mm ammo classified as pistol or rifle by the ATF?  What would Walmart do?
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone appreciate the info.  When I read it I took it that way as well but just wanted to make sure.  

He has his sights set on a CZ for his 1st pistol.  We have several Glocks and Sigs and he really liked the CZ when he shot it.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Also be aware of this and that it is happening (Virginia is in the 4th circuit)

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2021/07/15/appeals-court-dealers-can-sell-handguns-to-18-year-olds/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/4th-Circuit-Rules-Banning-Handgun-Sales-to-18-20-Y-O-Unconstitutional/5-2469392/
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
"he is very safety conscious and pretty squared away, knows his way around them"

regardless of the current law, he is good to go in my book.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you sir appreciate that.  I have tried to do everything I can so that he knows about them to the point that when we go to the range I make him sit through the safety brief.  Don't think you can hear that enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Glock 19 (9mm)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock 19 (9mm)

I agree with the above suggestion to buy both a G44 and G19. Considering the cost of 22lr vs 9mm, buying both will save you and your son money sooner or later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top