Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2023 11:04:10 AM EDT
I bought a CZ-82 for my daughter a few years ago but she lived at home so it stayed here in MD.  Now she's on her own in an apartment in Reston, VA and wants to take the gun with her to her apartment.  I've taught her how the basics of how to shoot (4 rules, sight picture, etc.) and we've done some target shooting, but I want to get her some more in depth handgun training classes.  This wouldn't be for concealed carry; she wants it for home defense.

Any recommendations for classes in the Northern Virginia area?

(And before the comments of "Buy her a better gun," I use my C&R license to avoid the MD bullshit to buy a gun, and this was the most modern piece I could get.  It's either that or CZ-52's or TT-33's. )
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Have here come over to XCal and do the pistol classes. They’ve got a beginner class that’s your basic “which way the bullets go in” class, an advanced beginner class that focuses on fundamentals and shooting, intermediate that gets more into drawing, carry positions, and reloads, and then an advanced that goes over more movement based stuff as well as other shooting positions.

The classes are inexpensive compared to others in the area (ammo can almost be more expensive than the class) and depending on how many sign up, you can get close to a 2:1 student to teacher ratio. They also offer a women specific pistol basics course. There are also several female instructors she could do 1 on 1 with. It’s normally around $100 an hour.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

(And before the comments of "Buy her a better gun," I use my C&R license to avoid the MD bullshit to buy a gun, and this was the most modern piece I could get.  It's either that or CZ-52's or TT-33's. )
View Quote

CZ-82's are great little guns. I picked one up back when I had my C&R and they were still pretty cheap.  Great shooting gun, nice medium size.  Nice trigger for a DA/SA.  12 rounds of 9x18 with a decent JHP is nothing to laugh at.  Better than the .38 Special lead round nose cops carried for many years. Buffalo Bore makes a +P 95 gr JHP load.  https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=233  I'd be fine with either of my daughters keeping a CZ-82 for defense.

Now I gotta pull mine out of the safe and take it to the range.

The Arlington Fairfax IWLA in Centreville has a NRA Basic Pistol class coming up in June, followed by a CCW class later in the month.   She would need to pick up a holster for the CCW class.  Reason to consider the CCW class even though she says she doesn't want to carry is they do a lot more shooting on the range than the basic pistol class does.

https://wp.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/education-training-course-schedule/
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If she plans to go over there, shoot me a PM. I’m not a super-shooter, but I know enough to help folks in the beginner/intermediate phase. I normally take my in-laws for a private lane every few weeks to work with them on handgun.

I can also recommend instructors. Damon is a great instructor, ex-SAS and normally does the intermediate and advanced pistol. Cait doesn’t do formal instruction anymore, but she’d be a good fit for a young-ish lady since she herself is a young-ish lady. I can get you in touch with her as well. I also have a female shooter in my regular group as well and I could see if she’d be able to meet her, maybe more of as a shooting buddy than training, though she is pretty proficient.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the NRA still do instruction?  My nephew took a couple rifle and pistol courses there and I was surprised how much info he came back with!!!  I seem to remember a course specifically oriented for women taught by a woman.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
They used to do one that that at the NRA range, my wife took it about 18 years ago.   But I haven't seen it advertised in years.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Update: Just bought her a $150 gift card to XCal. That's enough for the beginner course. I'll update when she takes the course.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Kate is really cool and down to earth and I’m the young folks age range. Jean is a great instructor as well and very knowledgeable. If gender doesn’t matter, Damon was NZ SAS and is one of the best instructors they have. He’s always happy to do one on ones with folks and emphasizes shooting over talking.

I will say the beginner pistol is the same rudimentary class every place has. If she’s had some experience around firearms, it’d probably be better for her to the the second basics class as it has more shooting than general firearms knowledge stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
She's fired rifle, shotgun, and handgun before. I taught her the 4 rules early on, and she's completed the MD Hunter Safety course which includes live fire of rifle and shotgun. Do you think that would be enough to qualify for the second level course?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's fired rifle, shotgun, and handgun before. I taught her the 4 rules early on, and she's completed the MD Hunter Safety course which includes live fire of rifle and shotgun. Do you think that would be enough to qualify for the second level course?
View Quote

I’d say if she’s not comfortable enough to buy 1-2 boxes of ammo, go to the range by herself, fully load the mags, and get some practice in, do the first stage. If she’s confident enough to be ready to draw and can critique her own stance and trigger pull, maybe not to minute detail but knowing something is/was off, do the second stage.

They created the two stage beginner class because folks were going straight into the intermediate class and having a hard time with just fundamentals much less drawing, positions, etc. The second stage (from my understanding, I have not taken the class) presents more time behind the gun versus classroom time. I don’t think she’d go wrong with doing the first stage as it’s always good to get a refresher.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Got it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
@R2Point0

Any news? I think there’s a women only class towards the end of the month.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@R2Point0

Any news? I think there's a women only class towards the end of the month.
View Quote
She told me today that she is going to the beginners class this Saturday. I floated the women's only class by her, and she sort of laughed. I mentioned that some women prefer to have an environment with no men around, and she scoffed "I just tell them to shut up", referring to men acting up.

That's my girl.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
So my daughter went to the beginner class last weekend. Except for one hiccup it went well - she brought her 2 loaded mags but forgot the rest of the box, and had to run home at break to get the rest.

Class was taught by the New Zealand guy; apparently he was very interested in the CZ-82. First half of the class was general familiarization with various types of handguns. She texted me to say that she was glad she had loaded her mags beforehand, because it prepared her to load the Glock mags they had them do for practice.

She also sent me a pic of her targets. First target showed about a 5" diameter circle - not bad for someone who rarely shoots, and better than me. After some coaching, the second target showed a 1 1/2" circle, which is pretty damned good if you ask me. Apparently they jokingly asked her if she wanted a job.

All in all a good day - she already wants to take the level 2 course. Looks like someone is getting a holster as a gift.

Thanks for the advice and the recommendations!
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Max Velocity Tactical

MVT Defensive Concealed Handgun (DCH), in Romney WV, is one of the better pistol courses Ive taken. I struggle to define the curriculum as beginner, intermediate, or advanced, because it covers each of these. It's not for CCW certification, but all work is from a holster. It's a couple hours away and will take a little more commitment than the school on the corner. But it's worth it. the 2024 calendar isn't firm yet but you could email for updates.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So my daughter went to the beginner class last weekend. Except for one hiccup it went well - she brought her 2 loaded mags but forgot the rest of the box, and had to run home at break to get the rest.

Class was taught by the New Zealand guy; apparently he was very interested in the CZ-82. First half of the class was general familiarization with various types of handguns. She texted me to say that she was glad she had loaded her mags beforehand, because it prepared her to load the Glock mags they had them do for practice.

She also sent me a pic of her targets. First target showed about a 5" diameter circle - not bad for someone who rarely shoots, and better than me. After some coaching, the second target showed a 1 1/2" circle, which is pretty damned good if you ask me. Apparently they jokingly asked her if she wanted a job.

All in all a good day - she already wants to take the level 2 course. Looks like someone is getting a holster as a gift.

Thanks for the advice and the recommendations!
View Quote

Crap, I’m not sure how I missed your update. I’m glad she had a good time. Damon is ex-NZ SAS and a great guy. I’ll have to ask him if he remembers working with a girl with a CZ next time I see him.

I’m working with guys from work about every Sunday, including our female HR manager. If she ever wants to get some work in let me know. If she prefers to hit up SEG, I also know a woman who uses them as a home base.

Have her come shoot steel one of the Mondays. It’s fun, no pressure, and everyone is very supportive of new shooters. My group basically owns the 1900 slot and they’re all good people. They’ve never turned away walk-ons as long as you pay at the counter. Halloween was a pretty good shoot.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If she prefers to hit up SEG, I also know a woman who uses them as a home base.
View Quote
SEG?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SEG?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If she prefers to hit up SEG, I also know a woman who uses them as a home base.
SEG?

Silver Eagle Group
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Silver Eagle Group
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silver Eagle Group
Thanks!

Just a reminder, the owners of SEG donate a lot of money to Democrats that support gun control. There are plenty of threads about it in the archives.

I'll teach a course at NRA w a rented classroom at cost, rather than you going there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just a reminder, the owners of SEG donate a lot of money to Democrats that support gun control. There are plenty of threads about it in the archives.

I'll teach a course at NRA w a rented classroom at cost, rather than you going there.
View Quote
That's good to know.

I just bought another XCAL gift card for her for Christmas, so she can take the Beginner Pistol II class. I also bought her 5 more mags and about 300 rounds of ammo, so she shouldn't have any issues with forgetting her ammo at home next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top