Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2023 3:06:33 AM EDT
Looks like we will be getting our third new roof in the past six years.

I hate spring weather in Texas.  We had stuff larger that a K-cup. Much worse between old Hwy 5 and US 75.

Lots of smashed car windows. When will people clean their garages and start parking inside?

We live in Allen. It was our time in the barrel yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn. Sorry to hear that OP. As far as garages go some of us have trucks that are too large. Heck even my stock F150 won't fit - 6" too long. My F250 ranch truck with the front end replacement wouldn't even come near fitting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You’re right. I should qualify my statements.

Our neighbor behind us got his Volvo pounded a few years ago. Had a three car garage full of shit.  his new Mazda just got pounded?

His three car garage is full of shot still and hasn’t had a car in it in years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, north Plano here. I'll be doing a damage assessment today. I have hopes it's minimal. We definitely had golf ball size hail.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’re right. I should qualify my statements.

Our neighbor behind us got his Volvo pounded a few years ago. Had a three car garage full of shit.  his new Mazda just got pounded?

His three car garage is full of shot still and hasn’t had a car in it in years.
View Quote

I just handed the house garage to the wife since her SUV fits but I keep a few things in there - I keep the zero turn parked in there and some crates of ammo. I had another garage/shop built for me to work in next to the house but I can only park one truck in it. I've seen the garages you're speaking about though.
What get's me - we purchased our house in Katy YEARS ago, new house - stock truck wouldn't fit. Sold a few years ago and moved up to Springtown - new house - stock truck won't fit. My oldest daughter lives 30 min from us - new house - stock truck won't fit, too long. Why in of all places Texas are they building houses that won't fit a truck?

ETA - Damn, just watched that video. We got lucky and I hope it's not that bad...well other than OP having to have another friggin roof put on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Pay the extra and get a metal roof. Or at the very least, use 30 year shingles and not the cheap 25 year crap (no Tamko, no Corning). Get a quality brand like Certainteed or GAF. They have better impact and wind resistance than the 25 year shingles, though not as good as a metal roof.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got the State Farm adjuster out to look at my house from the hail storm two weeks ago.  $23,000. damage to my house and $2600. damage to my carport roof. That doesn't count my truck that they want to total and my wife's truck that got the driver's side damaged.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen trucks burn up just sitting and the three car garage will barely fit a suburban and will not fit a f350.  I did park my last truck a 350 single cab but the new ones are too tall.  Can’t walk through the garage to the shop with a car in there.

If I lived in north central Texas I would have carports but down here we don’t get much hail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I drive a Tacoma...and hate it...because a real truck will not fit.  2020 construction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually just go to work and park in one of my big buildings. Got a basement and a walk-in cooler, still there's some pucker factor.

Attachment Attached File

This was from March. My pole, not Oncor's pole. I got off cheap, less than $2k to replace and move the wires. We must have had some hellish winds. Lost a couple of  trees, the traffic light on the corner. My buildings were ok.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoehorn my truck in the garage if I know bad weather is on the way. I have to fold in the mirrors on my truck and my wife's SUV and climb out a window to make it work, but I can still shut the door with less than half an inch to spare. 4 door F250 with front bumper replacement.

Even if I couldn't close the door, leaving it open with my truck bed sticking out (esp. since I have a flatbed) would be preferable to taking chances under my live oaks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I usually just go to work and park in one of my big buildings. Got a basement and a walk-in cooler, still there's some pucker factor.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/powerpolesnap_jpg-2825190.JPG

This was from March. My pole, not Oncor's pole. I got off cheap, less than $2k to replace and move the wires. We must have had some hellish winds. Lost a couple of  trees, the traffic light on the corner. My buildings were ok.
View Quote

If that was from the March windstorm, not surprised. That was pushing 70-80MPH straight line winds here. I was out doing damage assessment as part of my city's CERT program that night. Lots of power lines down. Many people had windows blown out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pay the extra and get a metal roof. Or at the very least, use 30 year shingles and not the cheap 25 year crap (no Tamko, no Corning). Get a quality brand like Certainteed or GAF. They have better impact and wind resistance than the 25 year shingles, though not as good as a metal roof.
View Quote

25 year 50 year doesn't matter once hail gets bigger than 2 inches.

Metal isn't great, many drawbacks.  One of which is many insurance companies do not pay for cosmetic damage to metal roofs anymore.

I'm an adjuster, so if you all have questions drop me an email.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#13]
We got pounded in that storm too.
Waco.
A couple of tornadoes swept over the area but none actually touched down.
It would have been a real mess if they had!

Roof damage and car dents.
No holes though.
It's all getting fixed.
They are putting a 30 year roof on our house.
But will it survive next spring???

There were a host of scammers out early the next morning waving "contracts".
One kid lied straight to my face...
"You have holes in your roof", he said.
I had already been up there.
Wife came out wearing her Sig.
The kid left in a hurry then.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It does, not significantly, but it does. >2" hail is not common at all, most severe hail is between 1" and 1.75".

Quoted:
Metal isn't great, many drawbacks.  One of which is many insurance companies do not pay for cosmetic damage to metal roofs anymore.

If you're worried about cosmetic damage to your roof, you need to leave the south. One of the main cons is the use of exposed fastener roofs, which are cheaper, but need to be replaced more often here where it gets warm. Standing seam, which are more expensive, don't have that problem.

Quoted:
But will it survive next spring???

Yeah it will. Had a 30 year put up in 2020 after a bad hailstorm came through and wrecked my cheap 25 year that the previous homeowner put up a few years before. Survived hail since then and the bad windstorm we had this year, no issues at all. At some point it'll need to be replaced, will probably shell out the money for a metal one then.

Quoted:
There were a host of scammers out early the next morning waving "contracts".

Lot of vultures come around after a storm. I help run a community Facebook group and I regularly remind people after bad storms come through the area that we don't tolerate vultures coming by to push their roofing services after a storm. You're preying upon people and it's despicable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It does, not significantly, but it does. >2" hail is not common at all, most severe hail is between 1" and 1.75".

If you're worried about cosmetic damage to your roof, you need to leave the south. One of the main cons is the use of exposed fastener roofs, which are cheaper, but need to be replaced more often here where it gets warm. Standing seam, which are more expensive, don't have that problem.

Yeah it will. Had a 30 year put up in 2020 after a bad hailstorm came through and wrecked my cheap 25 year that the previous homeowner put up a few years before. Survived hail since then and the bad windstorm we had this year, no issues at all. At some point it'll need to be replaced, will probably shell out the money for a metal one then.

Lot of vultures come around after a storm. I help run a community Facebook group and I regularly remind people after bad storms come through the area that we don't tolerate vultures coming by to push their roofing services after a storm. You're preying upon people and it's despicable.
View Quote

>2" hail has been reported dozens of times in the past 2 months in TX alone.  There were 8 reports last night in TX of 2 in or larger hail.

The "cosmetic damage" matters when it comes to things like resale value. Just like on cars, not everyone will be ok with the golf ball look and they expect a discount.

Standing seam unstacks if the wind gets under it, due to lack of hardware. Every roofing product is a give and take.

If you had hail bigger than 1.5" your shingled roof may have "survived" but it decreases the lifespan into the single digits of years.  The hail breaks the mat and your shingles will look like a squirrel chewed on them, then move to Swiss cheese looking shortly there after.  Then the leaks start.

There certainly are predatory roofing companies, I occasionally have to deal with them. Most of the time people just want an honest assessment of the damages, so maybe 50% of the time I end up meeting with contractors, only a slim percentage are there to take advantage of the situation.  The freeze certainly brought out a special breed of people though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I helped my dad and his cousin reroof our house with asphalt shingles when I was 13 - 14 years old. He decided to wait till June and it was brutal. I got heat sick.  Sealed down really well. It went a few years before the next hail storm beat the shit out of it.

I guess about 10-15 years ago, dad got a crew together, got pre-cut steel for standing seam, got it put on just fine and has been happy with it.

They had another small hail storm come through last year, people kept coming to the house trying to tell my mother the roof needed to be replaced. Dad got up there and looked at it, then started chasing all those assholes off. Roof is fine.

Fly by night contractors are full of shit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top