Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2021 8:14:14 PM EDT
Hey guys, I escaped a few years back (and you can too), so I'm alittle off on the changes in firearms laws.

My BIL is still there and new to firearms and wants a hand gun for HD. My initial inclination is Glock 19 [the best handgun ever], but then I remembered that NJ switched from 15 to 10 round mags.

To me, it seems kinda useless to have a self defense handgun that can hold 15, limited to 10.

To me, it would make more sense to have something smaller that is intended to hold 10 rounds like a Glock 43X MOS with a light and micro RMR.

Anybody agree?

Also, are HP rounds still legal for HD?

I know a small 10 shot pistol is not the best for HD, and it would not be MY first choice. But no matter how hard you try to lead the horse to the better drinking water, it's always going to go for what it thinks is best.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's my $.02. Everything is limited to 10 round mag capacity. HP are not illegal to have, it's my understanding the use HP ammo is a secondary offense in the commission of a crime. Maybe someone with some more legal knowledge can clarify but basically no harm no fowl with HP.  However if someone is killed using HP ammo (ie. home intruder) that's the crime and HP ammo can be tacked on.

now onto business. if he's new to being a gun owner forget about capacity and find something he's comfortable shooting. I'm a glock fan but got to say the Sig P320 is a sweat rig.  Then take a couple classes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]
A smaller gun (especially with a new shooter) will produce more felt recoil---not good for someone learning.

, i'd suggest something full size, with Nazi-Jersmany limited mags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
JHPs are completely legal to own, transport, and keep loaded in your HD guns. JHPs are prohibited to be carried in a loaded firearm outside the typical areas (home, range, to/from home/range). So... If your BIL is a unicorn, LEO, or ex-LEO then he would not be permitted to keep the JHPs loaded in his carry gun.

As far as caliber is concerned, that's a preference thing, JHP 9mm is effective, but I can see the argument being made that since the capacity is limited get the caliber that allows the most efficient use of space, in this case .45ACP.

*edit: apparently LEO can carry JHPs in non-duty issue guns
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Living in NJ why would you even use a handgun.. The communist with hang you if you ever use it....

better off with a double barrel shotgun or pump gun..
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JHPs are completely legal to own, transport, and keep loaded in your HD guns. JHPs are prohibited to be carried in a loaded firearm outside the typical areas (home, range, to/from home/range). So... If your BIL is a unicorn, LEO, or ex-LEO then he would not be permitted to keep the JHPs loaded in his carry gun.

As far as caliber is concerned, that's a preference thing, JHP 9mm is effective, but I can see the argument being made that since the capacity is limited get the caliber that allows the most efficient use of space, in this case .45ACP.
View Quote

Um no. Active LEO’s can carry JHP’s lol. Retired LEO cannot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Living in NJ why would you even use a handgun.. The communist with hang you if you ever use it....

better off with a double barrel shotgun or pump gun..
View Quote

I see alot of comments where people are worried about being sued or getting in trouble for protecting their life or family. Personally, in my own home the first thing im worried about is the safety of my family. I rather get locked up for using something the liberals dont like (IE pistol, AR, etc) and have my family live rather than risk settling for less (Double barrel shotgun, pump etc) and have my family potentially harmed. Emphasis on “in my own home”. That being said, im still going for my duty gun inside the house first bc it’s not mine and i didnt pay for it lol. Off duty obv im carrying what i normally carry.

Is the weapon you are using legal to possess? If yes than why should it matter? The whole debate on what to use for self defense based on whether or not King Murphy and his friends like it or not is kinda lame
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I see alot of comments where people are worried about being sued or getting in trouble for protecting their life or family. Personally, in my own home the first thing im worried about is the safety of my family. I rather get locked up for using something the liberals dont like (IE pistol, AR, etc) and have my family live rather than risk settling for less (Double barrel shotgun, pump etc) and have my family potentially harmed. Emphasis on “in my own home”. That being said, im still going for my duty gun inside the house first bc it’s not mine and i didnt pay for it lol. Off duty obv im carrying what i normally carry.

Is the weapon you are using legal to possess? If yes than why should it matter? The whole debate on what to use for self defense based on whether or not King Murphy and his friends like it or not is kinda lame
View Quote

Like the saying goes; "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six".
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree 100%, a pistol is not ideal, and if he would listen to me, I'd suggest an MPX with a brace (are those legal over there? They weren't even a thing when I did my time in NJ). And 2 10 round maga of 147 gr Gold Dot.

But that's not going to happen as he's focused on a pistol. Also good chance he won't take my advice on one either and buy the most expensive thing he can find. BUT atleast I can say I tried. I was thinking on stearing him towards a 43X MOS, 147 gr GD, TLR 6 and a micro RMR.

I don't have one (yet) but a co-worker does as an off duty gun, and it really seems perfect for this situation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree 100%, a pistol is not ideal, and if he would listen to me, I'd suggest an MPX with a brace (are those legal over there? They weren't even a thing when I did my time in NJ). And 2 10 round maga of 147 gr Gold Dot.

But that's not going to happen as he's focused on a pistol. Also good chance he won't take my advice on one either and buy the most expensive thing he can find. BUT atleast I can say I tried. I was thinking on stearing him towards a 43X MOS, 147 gr GD, TLR 6 and a micro RMR.

I don't have one (yet) but a co-worker does as an off duty gun, and it really seems perfect for this situation.
View Quote

Personally im never going to carry a sub compact simply bc i know i cant put rounds down range as fast and accurately as a compact or full sized. My off duty is a Cajunized CZ P-01 with an RMR and i can toss lead just as good with that as my Shadow 2 with an SRO. But when it comes down to it, its how often you train with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top