Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/17/2023 6:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveyDug]
Mike Loychik's SAPA bill has been filed and is scheduled for a hearing in the House Government Oversight Committee Tuesday at 1PM.

Anyone seen the text of this bill?

According to OGO, the bill does three things:

1. Prevents the federal government from commandeering Ohio law-enforcement agencies and forcing them to enforce federal gun-control laws, executive orders and rule changes.

2. Supports constitutional law enforcement officers by making sure they can never be forced by anti-gun mayors, police chiefs or sheriffs to infringe on people’s Second Amendment rights.

3. Severs the connection to the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act of 1968 that were written into the Ohio Revised Code.

If #3 sticks, it sounds like it could be a big deal.

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:06:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CherokeeGunslinger] [#3]
This bill really doesn't do anything other than prevent local LE from assisting the three-letter agencies with gun control.

I read the text of the bill. Deleting references to the NFA and GCA won't have any practical effect, as things currently stand. It would prevent Ohio law from being bound at the hip to any future federal gun control like placing semi-auto rifles on the NFA, but that's not a current concern. Congress critters are skittish right now.

So, instead of eliminating the one-drop law or the ban on loaded long guns in motor vehicles, this is what the state is doing. Feels a little underwhelming
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CherokeeGunslinger:
This bill really doesn't do anything other than prevent local LE from assisting the three-letter agencies with gun control.

I read the text of the bill. Deleting references to the NFA and GCA won't have any practical effect, as things currently stand. It would prevent Ohio law from being bound at the hip to any future federal gun control like placing semi-auto rifles on the NFA, but that's not a current concern. Congress critters are skittish right now.

So, instead of eliminating the one-drop law or the ban on loaded long guns in motor vehicles, this is what the state is doing. Feels a little underwhelming
View Quote

I read the text as well. Several times, in fact, because it's a bit confusing to me.

It specifically protects pistol braces and would go into effect immediately if passed, which are good things.

I'm still unclear of the significance of removing the connection to NFA and GCA. There is some strong language, but I'm not sure it really does much because it still references "federally approved" firearms, and does nothing to address "dangerous ordnance" which includes SBS, SBR, silencers, machine guns, etc.

Wouldn't this language directly address NFA tax stamps?:

Seems very contradictory to me, unless they are considering the separation from NFA and GCA a first step and plan to address the state's "Dangerous Ordnance" definition later?

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm for this as a OH LEO! Even if it didn't pass its called officer discretion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CherokeeGunslinger] [#6]
Originally Posted By Jay1321:
I'm for this as a OH LEO! Even if it didn't pass its called officer discretion.
View Quote

If HB51 doesn't pass, O.R.C. Section 2921.44 might come into play as Ohio law has tie-ins for the NFA and GCA. Ergo, Ohio LEOs would be legally compelled to enforce federal gun control.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
First hearing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Following along
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jay1321] [#9]
Originally Posted By CherokeeGunslinger:

If HB51 doesn't pass, O.R.C. Section 2921.44 might come into play as Ohio law has tie-ins for the NFA and GCA. Ergo, Ohio LEOs would be legally compelled to enforce federal gun control.
View Quote

Ohhh I'm sorry I didn't know that pistol was now illegal.  I'm not well versed on firearm rules lmao
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Tuesday's hearing completed sponsor testimony where Representatives Mike Loychik and Jean Schmidt introduced the bill.

The next hearing is probably going to take place on March 7th and will include proponent testimony.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveyDug] [#11]
Proponent hearing is this tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Lets go HB51!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
HB51 is scheduled for a committee vote tomorrow and could go to the House floor for a full vote very shortly afterward. We need to get this done, guys.

Hammer your reps and the committee members:

Chairman Bob Peterson: (614) 466-3506
Vice Chair Jim Thomas: (614) 466-8030
Assnt Majority Flr Ldr Jon Cross: (614) 466-3819
Majority Whip Jim Hoops: (614) 466-3760
Speaker Pro Tem Scott Oelslager: (614) 752-2438
Assnt Majority Whip Sharon Ray: (614) 466-8140
Majority Floor Leader Bill Seitz: (614) 466-8258
Rep. D.J. Swearingen: (614) 644-6011

I think this should pass out of committee handily but it doesn't hurt to make sure there's no confusion about the level of support for this bill.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Hearing scheduled for tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigohio] [#15]
In reading what's posted, I wonder if.. ..

"Any tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition not common to all other goods and services and that might reasonably be expected to create a chilling effect on the purchase of ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;"

"any registration or tracking of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition"

"Any registration or tracking of the owners of firearms, firearm accessories"

Does this allow for a suppressor purchase within OH, exempting NFA regs?  

Not a lawyer, don't pretend to be one, just a question.

I'm comparing this to how states have legalized marijuana, even through it's still illegal on a federal level.  

bigohio
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bigohio:

"Any tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition not common to all other goods and services and that might reasonably be expected to create a chilling effect on the purchase of ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;"

I'm comparing this to how states have legalized marijuana, even through it's still illegal on a federal level.  

bigohio
View Quote

That hasnt worked out well for citizens in other states that had a similar law.

Of course, states can say cannabis is totally legal and the feds dont do shit about it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Hearing was canceled. Not sure at this point what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

Of course, states can say cannabis is totally legal and the feds dont do shit about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Originally Posted By Bigohio:

bigohio

I know Texas has language that recently passed, similar to HB51.  Many were hoping it would mitigate the NFA requirements for NFA items, but shop owners won't go there, they'd lose their FFL.  As a recovering product of the east coast, (NY/NJ) Ohio is an awesome state for 2A, I've been here since 97.  I experienced oppressive firearm laws of draconian states, which are slowly being overturned by the SCOTUS.  No one ever thought we'd get CCW under Taft, and sadly, it took a Democrat (strickland) to improve the language.  I'm looking at HB51 the same way towards picking away at the NFA.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
HB51 is scheduled for a committee vote tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Updates?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 6:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveyDug] [#21]
The bill is currently scheduled for a floor vote November 15th!
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#22]
HB51 passed out of committee today. Hoping it still makes it for a floor vote tomorrow.

Might be a good time to contact Speaker Jason Stephens to push for a floor vote.

614-466-1366
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi. Any updates? I haven’t heard much from OGO about the bill since yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Rumor has it this may get a floor vote in the House today. We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:18:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveyDug] [#25]
HB51 being held up by RINOs and the usual LE organizations according to OGO:

If someone asked me earlier this week, I would’ve told them my plan for my Saturday email to you would be to talk about how eager we were to start working on the Ohio Senate to pass HB51.

But as you read in our previous email, shameless RINO Representative Cindy Abrams went on an emotional BENDER last Wednesday and ended up getting enough support behind her to block the floor vote that was planned for HB51.

As a reminder, HB51 is designed to future-proof the gun rights of Ohioans by making it impossible for Joe Biden or any other future anti-gun administration to force Ohio cops to be his gun-control enforcement brigade!

But like they do for EVERY pro-gun bill in the Ohio General Assembly, the political hacks from the Fraternal Order of Police, Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association and the Ohio Prosecuting Attorney Association are trying to block the bill from passing.

Sheriff Matt Lutz of Muskingum County, for example, joined Bloomberg’s “Moms Demand Action” to testify as the official president of the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association against Constitutional Carry on May 22, 2019… in his taxpayer-funded uniform!

They’re a total disgrace to their uniform.

They’ve testified against Concealed Carry, Constitutional Carry, Stand-Your-Ground law and they fully supported both John Kasich and Mike DeWine’s versions of ‘Red Flag’ Gun Confiscation.

Now they’re trying to stop HB51 from passing because HB51 stops them from being able to partake in federal gun confiscation task forces, and worse, RINO Republicans are trying to use “law enforcement opposition” to HB51 as an excuse to vote NO.

Even more appalling is the fact that FOP and BSSA are even outright lying about HB51 and telling legislators that it would stop them from participating in federal drug task forces when it absolutely does NOT!

WE have to hit back hard, and we have to hit back fast, so here is who we need to focus on contacting right now.

Cindy Abrams.

She’s the ringleader of the opposition to HB51 in the Ohio House Republican caucus. When she walked by me while I was having a conversation with another legislator on Wednesday afternoon, she growled “F*ck You, Dorr.”

(In full disclosure, even though she was trying to use her official title as a State Representative to try to intimidate me, she wasn’t really that intimidating. In fact, it came across more as an emotional outburst of classlessness than anything else)

I couldn’t image my mom or my grandma ever talking like Cindy did, quite honestly.

You can call Cindy’s office and leave her a message at (614) 466-9091, or you can email her office by clicking HERE.

Cindy needs to be told that her vote against the Ohio Second Amendment Preservation Act would be a total betrayal of the conservative values she is supposed to represent in Columbus!

Sharon Ray

Sharon Ray is another one that behind the scenes is doing everything to stop HB51 from getting a full floor vote.

It comes as no surprise: she was a hostile opponent to Constitutional Carry before she was forced by members in her district to eventually voting yes on the bill.

You can call Sharon’s office and leave her a message at (614) 466-8140, or you can email her office by clicking HERE.

Don Jones

Jones, a former member of the Ohio House Government Oversight Committee from last General Assembly, was notorious for his work in the 134th General Assembly to sandbag pro-gun bills.

Ohio Gun Owners had to mobilize many of our members in his district before Don finally relinquished and voted Constitutional Carry out of committee.

You can call Don Jones’ office and leave him a message at (614) 644-8728, or you can email his office by clicking HERE.

(Note: Jones has been known to get a little loud and testy on the phone, so feel free to leave him a voicemail on his answering machine if that is preferable)

Darrell Kick

Darrell Kick is on this list, and it hurts to see it. House Bill 51 is tailor-made to protect Ohioans from Joe Biden’s gun-control, and Darrell Kick knows it.

Worse, Ohio House District 98 has some of the more pro-gun voters in the entire state, and those gun owners DESERVE to have a legislator who will proudly vote YES on HB51.

We have heard from Statehouse sources that Darrell is already bragging that he’s going to vote with the Democrats on HB51, but he hasn’t actually committed the act yet.

You can call Darrell Kick’s office and leave him a message at (614) 466-2994, or you can email his office by clicking HERE.

Kevin Miller

Kevin Miller needs to hear from people quickly. A former law enforcement lobbyist at the Statehouse himself, Kevin is under immense pressure to vote no on HB51 by his old pals in the law enforcement lobby corp.

Worse, Kevin Miller reportedly has a Republican Primary challenger running in House District 69 (Perry County, surrounding areas). He doesn’t want to have to vote against the biggest Second Amendment bill before the Ohio House in years.

You can call Kevin Miller’s office and leave him a message at (614) 466-2500, or you can email his office by clicking HERE.

Gail Pavliga

Representative Pavliga is one of several that is being bullied and pressured by the political law enforcement groups to vote no.

She needs to hear from pro-gun voters and her constituents that they want her to vote to protect our Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

You can call Pavliga’s office and leave her a message at (614) 466-2004, or you can email her office by clicking HERE.

Tracy Richardson

Like Pavliga, Richardson is caught between two factions: the gun-control and political law enforcement groups, or those who love and cherish our 2nd Amendment.

And make no mistake about it: ALL of the gun-control organizations are opposed to HB51 because they know how perfectly the bill is constructed to block federal tyranny.

You can call Richardson’s office and leave her a message at (614) 466-8147, or you can email her office by clicking HERE.

Haraz Ghanbari

He needs to hear from you.

You can call Ghanbari’s office and leave him a message at (614) 466-8104, or you can email his office by clicking HERE.

Sara Carruthers

Representative Carruthers should be an easy one to convince to vote YES on HB51, but she still needs to hear from you right away.

Carruthers has a primary opponent in the 2024 Republican Primary election for House District 47, and more, she surveyed with Ohio Gun Owners 100% pro-gun when running for her current seat in the 135th General Assembly.

But Representative Carruthers is well known for her ability to make a decision based on her “last conversation,” so we want to make sure she remembers how she promised to vote if she got elected – and she did.

You can call Carruthers' office and leave her a message at (614) 644-6721, or you can email her office by clicking HERE.

To be honest, there are probably more legislators that I should be asking gun rights supporters to contact, but these are the most important ones for right now.

When you get them on the phone or leave them a message, keep in mind that the objections being spouted around by the “law enforcement” organizations are not truthful or derived from the legislation itself:

Ohio law enforcement will still be able to participate in federal drug task forces.

Ohio law enforcement will still have full access to federal resources, databases and ballistics centers in the investigation of Ohio crimes.

Ohio law enforcement will still be able to participate in federal sex-trafficking and human trafficking task forces.

And in all of these instances, Ohio law enforcement will still be able to enforce federal firearm violations, as long as the firearm violation are not part of a federal gun control task force.

More, nothing in HB51 prevents Ohio law enforcement from setting up a “gun crime task force” that enforces Ohio’s firearm laws, and they can even invite federal partners to join in!

The best part of the bill is that it was tailor made for Ohio.

SAPA law (HB51) gets out ahead of federal gun-control and makes sure that, on the day Joe Biden, the Democrats in Congress or any future administration are successful at passing a sweeping federal gun-control law, Ohio is ready.

On that day, Ohio law enforcement agencies across the state will be BARRED from being Joe Biden or the Radical Left’s gun-control enforcement troops.

THAT is a bill worth passing and a law worth having for the gun owners of Ohio.

Take action NOW!

For Freedom,

Chris Dorr, Director
Ohio Gun Owners
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#26]
That sucks to hear, but not a surprising outcome. I like Chris, I met him once, super dude.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like the RINOs are screwing us

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I would encourage anyone who is interested in seeing this bill pass to start contacting the reps listed above and pushing them to support it.

Cindy Abrams seems to be the RINO ringleader, according to OGO.

Interesting that I have heard nothing from BFA about this bill.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#29]
Cindy is getting feedback on her Facebook reelection announcement

Gary click is getting Facebook love for demanding negotiation with gun grabbers
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CavVet:
Cindy is getting feedback on her Facebook reelection announcement

Gary click is getting Facebook love for demanding negotiation with gun grabbers
View Quote

Good. Pour it on.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top