Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2020 1:19:03 AM EDT
I don't like this bill, something funny going on here, with all the dims voting for it and the NRA pushing it too? I am proud to say one of my reps voted against it in the House. But it still needs to go Senate.

https://keepidahofree.org/hb-396-shooting-range-bill-should-be-opposed/

https://idahofreedom.org/house-bill-396-public-shooting-range-fund/
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
HB 396

SHOOTING RANGES – Amends, repeals, and adds to existing law to provide additional powers and duties of the Fish and Game Commission, to provide that the director of the Department of Fish and Game shall consult with other agencies to identify suitable land for shooting ranges, and to provide for the Public Shooting Range Fund.

02/18  Read Third Time in Full – PASSED - 54-14-2

House Bill 396 would: 1) Authorize the Fish & Game (F&G) Commission to develop, operate and maintain public shooting ranges and to assist in the location or relocation of shooting ranges; 2) Empower the F&G Director to consult with other agencies to identify land suitable for shooting ranges; and 3) Establish a Public Shooting Range Fund for the purpose of establishing and preserving public shooting ranges throughout Idaho.

Firearm shooting ranges have established a long tradition of service to a wide variety of citizen groups in local communities and they serve as a location to hold both informal practice sessions and organized competitions for those engaged in recreational shooting. Shooting ranges also serve as training facilities for law enforcement officials and military personnel, as well as offering firearm and hunter education and safety courses.  These courses provide invaluable hands-on instruction in the safe and proper handling and use of firearms.

Yesterday, the House Resources and Conservation Committee passed shooting range legislation, House Bill 396.  The measure now gets sent to the House floor for full consideration.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Signed into law today.

Edit - I honestly don't know much about it, but the "maintain" and "relocate" aspects make mental alarms go off for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m hoping that the F&G doesn’t believe this is a mandate to tell people THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN SHOOT.....is at our “authorized” ranges.

The “consult with other agencies” clause is suspicious as well. We will see?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Fish and Game "manages" public shooting ranges here in the TV.  As such, I read the text of the bill in the post, and it sounds more to me like F&G would work with IDL and other state (and maybe federal) agencies to select suitable areas to build and / or expand recreational shooting ranges.  In other words, "you now have a legal mandate to work with each other and make it happen".

Doesn't sound nefarious to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fish and Game "manages" public shooting ranges here in the TV.  As such, I read the text of the bill in the post, and it sounds more to me like F&G would work with IDL and other state (and maybe federal) agencies to select suitable areas to build and / or expand recreational shooting ranges.  In other words, "you now have a legal mandate to work with each other and make it happen".

Doesn't sound nefarious to me.
View Quote
I like your optimism. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top