Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2021 5:52:39 PM EDT
This is from the Facebook page of Kentucky Concealed Carry Coalition

After seeing the early anti-gun bills filed by democrats in this year's legislative session, several people have asked, "Where are the pro-gun bills?" KC3 has told them to just wait and now that waiting has paid off. Savannah Maddox had agreed to help us get rid of some gun-free zones and she has delivered on that commitment with HB 337. Representative Maddox never disappoints us. HB 337 will repeal KRS 237.115 which grants authority to public colleges and universities to prohibit concealed weapons on their campuses and the authority that cities and county governments have to pass local ordinances to prohibit concealed weapons in their buildings. If HB 337 passes both of those things will be gone. If we start with them, hopefully we can eliminate all "gun free zones" in Ky . in the next few sessions. KRS 237.115 has been law in Ky. since 1995, when it was passed as part of the "concealed carry law".

Here is a summary of HB 337:
Repeal KRS 237.115 interpreting the application of the concealed carry deadly weapon licensing statute to postsecondary facilities and permitting state and local governments to pass legislation limiting concealed carry in buildings controlled by that government; amend various sections to conform.

You can read the entire bill here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/HB337/bill.pdf

City and county governments have never had any authority to regulate openly carried weapons due to Ky. law and the state and federal constitutions, so it makes little sense for them to prohibit concealed weapons. Any person that can legally own a gun can just uncover their "concealed" weapon and continue into most city or county buildings, in spite of any ordinance that prohibits concealed weapons.

HB 337 needs co-sponsors now. Contact your State Representative and tell them that you support HB 337 and you want them to co-sponsor that bill. It does no good for them to say that they will vote for it. Without co-sponsors HB 337 will not be given a committee hearing and no votes will ever be taken. Demand that your Representative co-sponsor HB 337. Your Senator can not help at this time. Once the bill passes the House of Representatives, you can ask your State Senator for the same action. If you don't know who your State Representative is, you can find out with this map:https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/.../findyourlegislator.html or with this list: https://legislature.ky.gov/Legis.../house-of-representatives.
If you can't find time to contact your Representative directly, you can call their office at: (502) 564-8100 and leave a message for them. Your message should be, "I support HB 337 and want to see a committee hearing for that bill. Please become a co-sponsor of HB 337."  You can also call (800) 372-7181 and leave a message for your Representative or any legislator or group of legislators (such as the entire House Leadership).Your message should be the same, "I support HB337 and want a committee hearing for that bill. Please become a co-sponsor for HB 337"

Another pro-gun bill is HB 361, which will stop a state official from being forced to assist in enforcing a federal law that restricts your right to own or carry a firearm. This bill is sponsored by Thomas Huff and cosponsored by Savannah Maddox, Russell Webber and Daniel Fister.

Here is a summary of HB 361: Create a new section of KRS Chapter 237 to state legislative findings and make declarations that all federal laws and regulations commandeering state or local law enforcement to enforce federal restrictions of firearms are invalid and of no effect in Kentucky and that the General Assembly has the duty to enact all measures to prevent their enforcement; that the General Assembly has the duty to protect and defend the state and federal constitutions; that proposed presidential actions relating to the acquisition, possession, and use of firearms and accessories are violative of presidential powers and citizens' rights under the federal constitution; provide retroactive application back to January 1, 2018; EMERGENCY.

You can read the entire bill here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/HB361/bill.pdf

Both of these bills, HB 337 and HB 361 are important. If you want to see more pro-gun bills passed in future years and more gun free zones disappear, get behind these bills and show your support.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
This is huge.  Thank you for the update, softpoint.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Sadly they will never receive a committee assignment this year
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sadly they will never receive a committee assignment this year
View Quote

Is that due to the shortened legislative calendar?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is that due to the shortened legislative calendar?
View Quote

Most of the bills introduced in the 2021 legislative session will not be scheduled for hearings in any committee. That is normal in long sessions and in short sessions Some bills are priorities and have been preselected for committee hearings and plans made to pass them. The votes have been promised and counted long ago. Sometimes those plans are disrupted and changed. If a bill gets enough public support and enough legislators push a bill due to public support of their constituents it could be heard and maybe passed,  unexpectedly. Sometimes I have more of a chance of being elected Governor than certain bills passing. If it was all 100% predictable and  preordained, we wouldn't even bother to have a legislature. There is no reason to hold committee hearings for a bill unless that bill can demonstrate some support and at least a chance of passing. Notice that unlike previous years bills are not being automatically assigned to a committee this year. They will have to earn that assignment.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
After re-reading my previous post, I have decided that it may make some people think that I am saying that "the people" of Ky have no voice in passing laws. That would be a mistake. My opinion is that "plans" for a legislative session do not begin on the 1st Tuesday in Jan. They begin in April or May of the previous year. It is also my opinion that "plans" can change. Most residents of Ky. do not become aware of bills until the start of a new session. That means they are starting late and must work harder to catch up. Public opinion can make a difference, a big difference. Just remember, our opponents never sleep. They have been fighting since last summer on things of which we have been unaware.

We have friends in Frankfort, but we must demonstrate that public opinion is on our side. This allows our friends to justify their support for bills that the liberals and the liberal's friends in media say doesn't exist. If we don't support gun-friendly bills, who will? If it is too much trouble or too inconvenient to support pro-gun bills, they will not be passed. If we don't give our friends some cover from attacks from our enemies, our friends will disappear.  

Even if these bills don't do anything that affects you, please support them. Gun owners have been too selfish for too long. Liberals support liberal bills and liberal ideas even when they are not directly benefited. They support abortion even when there is nobody in their family of childbearing age. They support gun control even when there are no gun owners in their family or even their circle of friends. They support defunding police even when they know no one who has interactions with the police. They understand that these things affect everybody and they want to move their agenda forward, even when they are not directly affected. They want to support "the agenda", many of us only want to help ourselves.
Back in 2014, KC3 had a bill to stop some airports (mainly Lexington) from banning guns in the public areas of their airport. I had many gun owners tell me, "I don't care. I don't fly out of Lexington, so this doesn't affect me." Well, I don't fly out of Lexington either. I live much closer to Louisville. I recognize that we need to fight all gun bans, everywhere. I urge you all to support HB 337 and HB 361, not because it helps you but because those bills advance the course of liberty and open up the chances for more progress on ending "gun free zones" in the coming years. KC3 has tried to bring that bill back several times but nobody wants to touch it. They say there is no support for it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
@softpoint - I'm REALLY surprised that 361 hasn't pick up more than 2 of the freshmen reps... nearly all of them have been pretty bold at co sponsoring pro-liberty legislation.  I would say that this session's new members have been one of the boldest out of the gate in many years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@softpoint - I'm REALLY surprised that 361 hasn't pick up more than 2 of the freshmen reps... nearly all of them have been pretty bold at co sponsoring pro-liberty legislation.  I would say that this session's new members have been one of the boldest out of the gate in many years.
View Quote

I think that earlier they were following instructions from higher ups. Now, they are picking their own fights and are a little more introspective. My Rep. is new this year and I just had a conversation with her about both 361 and 337. She said she'd take a look at both of them, as if she had never seen them before.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think that earlier they were following instructions from higher ups. Now, they are picking their own fights and are a little more introspective. My Rep. is new this year and I just had a conversation with her about both 361 and 337. She said she'd take a look at both of them, as if she had never seen them before.
View Quote

@softpoint I will agree with you in part and disagree in part.  I have been impressed from what I have seen from your new rep so far.  She at least has a history of working for a liberty minded boss.  I'm not sure I agree with the part about following directions in regards to co-sponsoring.  Early on, Savannah's BR130/HB15 had the majority of the new reps signed on... that's pretty bold to be the new person and align yourself with Liberty that early in the game.  

I am hoping that with so much going on since these two bills were filed, that it has been truly overlooked.  Going to guess more co-sponsors in the next few days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sadly the turtle and Rand never returned emails, letters, or calls, as they have done in the past when I have contacted their offices, this time the subject being "HR127" and how we as Kentuckians need their help in drafting a bill to keep this law from having any teeth in Kentucky.

It's been 3 weeks now. Crickets........
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll try to take us back to the original subject of this thread by pointing out that HB 361 has now accumulated seven sponsors and, inexplicably, an identical twin, HB 445. I don't know why Representative Flannery chose to introduce a second bill that is, word for word, identical to HB 361 when he could just add himself to the list of cosponsors of the original. Just a few more cosponsors could earn this bill a committee hearing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Given that HB 361 is simply restating what is already in our Constitution, I don't see where this legislation achieves or strengthens our gun protections, but if it is called, I would probably support it.  
I haven't read HB 337 yet, so will need to familiarize myself before I commit to completely repealing these statutes.
Thank you for reaching out,
Kim Moser

From my rep
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Given that HB 361 is simply restating what is already in our Constitution, I don't see where this legislation achieves or strengthens our gun protections, but if it is called, I would probably support it.  
I haven't read HB 337 yet, so will need to familiarize myself before I commit to completely repealing these statutes.
Thank you for reaching out,
Kim Moser

From my rep
View Quote

I agree with Rep. Moser's asessment of HB 361. However, not everyone has the lofty opinion of or requard for  the Constitution that she and I  share. There should be no need for such bills. The constitutional restraints on government should be sufficient to prevent any transgressions. Sadly, this is not the case and it has become obvious that things need to be spelled out as if we are talking to children. The situation with preemption is the same. There should be no necessity for a statute saying that local governments should obey the constitution but, sadly, we have needed one of those for well over 30 years and we still have violations. Some things need to be written down in numerous places and in numerous ways.

Rep. Moser's response concerning HB 337 sounds like she thinks the bill reveals multiple statutes. In fact, it would only repeal one statute, KRS 237.115. That statute can be read in 30 seconds. It is less than one full page long.

Once again, encourage your Representative to "cosponsor" the bills. Without cosponsors the bill will never be called for a committee hearing and without a committee hearing the bill will never be called for a floor vote. Rep. Moser will not have to trouble herself trying to decide if the bill has enough support to pass so she can get on the winning side of that vote. I'd call her again after a week and see if she has bothered to read the bill by then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top