Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2022 12:11:12 PM EDT
There’s another bill being pushed for constitutional carry HB1077 it’s passed the house and is being sent to the senate.

ETA: Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I hit up my senator. Hope the Rinos don't kill it again...
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hit up my senator. Hope the Rinos don't kill it again...
View Quote

I won’t hold my breath But they will at least know my opinion in support of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Called as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've contacted my Senator, Liz Brown, and Rodric Bray.
Latest from The 2nd Amendment Project is that Governor Holcomb is working behind the scenes to have the Senate kill Constitutional Carry.  And looking at what Liz Brown did last year, that is entirely possible.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I was pretty excited about this the last time around. I've contacted my reps this time also, but based on what happened last year I'm not getting my hopes up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a buddy running for Indiana state district 31. He's sick of the RINO's and the worthless Ann vermilion.  He's progun and ready to help unseat other Rinos
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It's challenging for me to see what benefit Republicans see is opposing this legislation.  Now that there are no significant fees for the LtCH, I don't see a direct financial motive.  It makes me curious what kind of quid pro quo is involved for making sure it doesn't pass.

It's starting to get embarrassing too.  Indiana should have the best (and fewest) firearms laws in the country, yet we're lagging behind some states that are RKBA underachievers.  Unacceptable!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's challenging for me to see what benefit Republicans see is opposing this legislation.  Now that there are no significant fees for the LtCH, I don't see a direct financial motive.  It makes me curious what kind of quid pro quo is involved for making sure it doesn't pass.

It's starting to get embarrassing too.  Indiana should have the best (and fewest) firearms laws in the country, yet we're lagging behind some states that are RKBA underachievers.  Unacceptable!
View Quote

Some are using it as being free as the very reason we don’t need it changed as I recall that was Holcombs stance during the debate last year. One of the arguments is without the permit process the people who think they can carry but get denied permits based on the various disqualifying things now won’t get that and will subsequently carry without realizing they can’t. Yet the new statute has it very clearly listed though the argument could be made people would not check just like they aren’t now.

Also with it being free they don’t see it as a hindrance to obtain and therefore don’t see the difference. My argument is it’s still asking permission for the ability to exercise a right, one. Two, there’s still steps that make it problematic for some people. For instance in some county’s there’s no place you can get electronic fingerprints therefore someone has to be able to travel to do it and even if that’s not a problem they have to set up an appointment to do so and pay to get them done. Under the old prints you could walk into the sheriffs office or the police department to do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some are using it as being free as the very reason we don’t need it changed as I recall that was Holcombs stance during the debate last year. One of the arguments is without the permit process the people who think they can carry but get denied permits based on the various disqualifying things now won’t get that and will subsequently carry without realizing they can’t. Yet the new statute has it very clearly listed though the argument could be made people would not check just like they aren’t now.

Also with it being free they don’t see it as a hindrance to obtain and therefore don’t see the difference. My argument is it’s still asking permission for the ability to exercise a right, one. Two, there’s still steps that make it problematic for some people. For instance in some county’s there’s no place you can get electronic fingerprints therefore someone has to be able to travel to do it and even if that’s not a problem they have to set up an appointment to do so and pay to get them done. Under the old prints you could walk into the sheriffs office or the police department to do it.
View Quote

That makes sense in terms of their feeble reasoning.  Ugh.

Agree with you!  Getting permission to exercise a fundamental human right that is enumerated and protected by both the US and Indiana Constitutions is ridiculous and has persisted for far too long.

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#11]
How will this affect reciprocity in other states?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How will this affect reciprocity in other states?
View Quote
You will still need a CHL for those states that have reciprocity with IN and aren't Constitutional Carry themselves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s got a hearing on the 23rd!

Now lets get it to vote.

Contact your critters and tell em you agree with this bill and it should be passed!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Hearing today at 1:30.  I hope you have emailed or called all of the republican Judiciary Committee Members...

Senator Liz Brown (Chair), Dist 15 [email protected]
Senator Mike Bohacek, Dist 8 [email protected]
Senator James Buck, Dist 21 [email protected]
Senator Aaron Freeman, Dist 32 [email protected]
Senator Mike Gaskill, Dist 26 [email protected]
Senator Susan Glick, Dist 13 [email protected]
Senator Michael Young, Dist 35 [email protected]

Watch today's hearing here:
http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2022/committees/judiciary_4200

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been emailing Liz Brown since the start of this year's legislative session.  Thanks for adding the other Judiciary Committee member's email addresses.  Message sent moments ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hearing today at 1:30.  I hope you have emailed or called all of the republican Judiciary Committee Members...

Senator Liz Brown (Chair), Dist 15 [email protected]
Senator Mike Bohacek, Dist 8 [email protected]
Senator James Buck, Dist 21 [email protected]
Senator Aaron Freeman, Dist 32 [email protected]
Senator Mike Gaskill, Dist 26 [email protected]
Senator Susan Glick, Dist 13 [email protected]
Senator Michael Young, Dist 35 [email protected]

Watch today's hearing here:
http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2022/committees/judiciary_4200

View Quote

Me too. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Passed 11-0 late last night.

With all of the law enforcement objection and the tone of the questions by Democrat members, as well as Chairman Brown, I didn't even think it was going to pass, let alone pass 11-0.  Makes me wonder if something strange is going on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With all of the law enforcement objection and the tone of the questions by Democrat members, as well as Chairman Brown, I didn't even think it was going to pass, let alone pass 11-0.  Makes me wonder if something strange is going on.
View Quote

Wow, that's a big turnaround from last year, when they just let it die. Great news!
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right.  Seems too good to be true.  What's the catch?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#20]
From NRA-ILA:

Last night, the Senate Judiciary Committee destroyed the intent of House Bill 1077, constitutional carry, by removing the language of the original bill at the request of the Holcomb administration, and replacing it with a new process which still requires law-abiding citizens to obtain a License to Carry Handgun. The amended bill creates a new process by which a person can receive a provisional license prior to being granted a permanent license.

Despite strong opposition from gun rights supporters on the committee, the bill was amended with the help of Chair Liz Brown, Sen. Mike Bohacek, and Sen. Susan Glick.

This fight is not over. NRA is working with pro-gun Senators and the original authors of HB 1077 to author an amendment to be offered on second reading on the floor of the Senate to restore the original language of the bill, which will receive a vote in the full Senate.

It is time for the Senate to step up and let Hoosiers know where they truly stand in regards to their Second Amendment rights. Please contact your state senator and ask them to SUPPORT amending HB 1077 to its original form and to vote for passage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Right.  Seems too good to be true.  What's the catch?
View Quote

Yep, too good to be true!  The NRA-ILA summary above pretty well spells it out.  Republican Senators Liz Brown, Mike Bohacek, and Susan Glick all supported this amendment, wrecking the original intent of the bill.  I hope Smaltz kills this if they don't get the original language put back in.

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing like ruining a perfectly good bill
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Passed one more hurdle. From NRA ILA:

Today, all four conferees signed the Conference Committee Report for House Bill 1296, which contains the constitutional carry language from House Bill 1077. Then, both chambers voted to adopt the report. As such, it has now passed the General Assembly and will soon head to Governor Eric Holcomb’s desk for his consideration. Please contact Gov. Holcomb and ask him to sign House Bill 1296 into law.

Constitutional carry allows any law-abiding adult who is legally eligible to obtain a carry permit, to carry a handgun without first having to obtain government permission. This ensures that citizens have their right to self-defense without government red tape or delays. It does not affect previously issued carry permits, and allows citizens who still wish to obtain a permit in order to carry in other states recognizing Indiana permits, to do so.

Again, please contact Gov. Holcomb and ask him to sign House Bill 1296 into law.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I had hoped this would pass, but was frankly very pessimistic that it would.
I'm pleased to see that my Senator voted "Yea" on this despite the fact that I could not get her to respond to multiple requests for support.
As I understand it, Holcomb has three choices: 1) Sign it, 2) Veto it, or 3) Do Nothing in which case it becomes law.  I expect him to do #3.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had hoped this would pass, but was frankly very pessimistic that it would.
I'm pleased to see that my Senator voted "Yea" on this despite the fact that I could not get her to respond to multiple requests for support.
As I understand it, Holcomb has three choices: 1) Sign it, 2) Veto it, or 3) Do Nothing in which case it becomes law.  I expect him to do #3.
View Quote

I expect number 2 sadly but I hope for 1 or 3
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
IMHO, I give #1 a 5% chance of happening, #2 a 43% chance, and #3 a 52% chance.
I suspect that his political career is done in Indiana if he vetoes it, and he knows that, but I certainly can't totally discount the possibility.  He's a politician and WANTS to move to the US Senate where he can be virtually assured of having a political position for life with all that entails.  Vetoing (and to a lesser effect, signing) this would create problems for that pathway.
What I expect is that he will do nothing, saying that "he can't in good conscience sign this bill because it's not good for the LEO community" but "will bow to the will of the people" and not veto it.  This way he retains the support of the RINOs and leftists that would be inclined to vote for him in his US Senate bid but won't lose all the Republican / conservative votes that vetoing it would entail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#28]
How long until this is on his desk?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Sign this already. I've had my lifetime permit for years so doesn't even affect me.  This is for my kids/grandkids.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#30]
If you're on Facebook, keep an eye on The 2A Project.  Guy will keep us updated with all the latest news about this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I suspect that his political career is done in Indiana if he vetoes it, and he knows that, but I certainly can't totally discount the possibility.  He's a politician and WANTS to move to the US Senate where he can be virtually assured of having a political position for life with all that entails.  Vetoing (and to a lesser effect, signing) this would create problems for that pathway.
What I expect is that he will do nothing, saying that "he can't in good conscience sign this bill because it's not good for the LEO community" but "will bow to the will of the people" and not veto it.  This way he retains the support of the RINOs and leftists that would be inclined to vote for him in his US Senate bid but won't lose all the Republican / conservative votes that vetoing it would entail.
View Quote

That seems like an accurate assessment of the situation.  I believe he only has until the 15th to do what he's going to do.  I heard Guy Relford state that several statehouse members were already working on a veto-override, should it be necessary.

As far as Holcomb's political future - he may well, indeed, win another office, but he'll have to do so without my vote.  I am seriously unimpressed with him.  He's a textbook "Chamber of Commerce" Republican.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
<snip>
As far as Holcomb's political future - he may well, indeed, win another office, but he'll have to do so without my vote.  I am seriously unimpressed with him.  He's a textbook "Chamber of Commerce" Republican.
View Quote
My feelings exactly.  I was completely appalled at his lack of leadership during the (alleged) Covid emergency.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Anybody have the timeframe that this bill becomes law? I was under the impression that it was tonight at midnight but can't find anything to back that up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#34]
He has seven days to sign or veto it after it hits his desk or it becomes law.  It has to have a couple signatures before it hits his desk.  Guy Relford of The 2A Project said yesterday it will be a few days before it's in the Governor's hands.  So, maybe by Wednesday for signature or veto.  Otherwise seven days of no action before it becomes law.  (This is my expectation as I don't think he'll sign it OR veto it.)  Even if he signs it or does nothing, it doesn't take affect until July 1st.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He has seven days to sign or veto it after it hits his desk or it becomes law.  It has to have a couple signatures before it hits his desk.  Guy Relford of The 2A Project said yesterday it will be a few days before it's in the Governor's hands.  So, maybe by Wednesday for signature or veto.  Otherwise seven days of no action before it becomes law.  (This is my expectation as I don't think he'll sign it OR veto it.)  Even if he signs it or does nothing, it doesn't take affect until July 1st.
View Quote

I don't think he will do either. He's a lukewarm conservative that doesn't want to outwardly support either side of this so he will just let it ride...
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully DeWine signing it in Ohio will encourage him to do the same.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
DeWine signed it earlier tonight / today.  Ohio is a Constitutional Carry state now (or will be when it takes affect).
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
DeWine signed it earlier tonight / today.  Ohio is a Constitutional Carry state now (or will be when it takes affect).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for them! Glad another state made it right. They brings it to what 23?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that is my point hopefully Indiana's neighbor signing it will encourage your governor to do the same.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I figured it was sometime this week, was hoping there was some sort of "drop-dead date/time" that we could look towards for this to be a done deal.

Nothing in the news that I can find since it passed the house.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#41]
The bill is HB 1296 now.

Looks like it was signed today by the Senate. House already signed.

So I assume Holcomb has 7 days from today?

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
With the signatures, I believe it now goes to the Gov.  How long it takes to "hit his desk" is something I don't know.  Is it immediate, like right after final signature in the Assembly?  Or is there actually time allowed to "move the bill to the Governor's desk"?

Shall we bet on Holcomb's actions?
1.  Sign
2.  Veto
3.  Do nothing

I'll put $10 on #3.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The bill hit Holcomb's desk today, so the seven day countdown has begun.  Looks like that's calendar, NOT working days, too.  So by COB next Tuesday we should know where we stand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Search this page for 1296.

Search for 1296

Shows deadline for signature March 22nd.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#45]
He'll either Veto the thing, or not sign it, in which it will still become law, but may save some face with the LEO organizations who are against it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He'll either Veto the thing, or not sign it, in which it will still become law, but may save some face with the LEO organizations who are against it.
View Quote
I think if he's going to veto it, it will be last thing he does today (Friday) to keep it out of the news cycle as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#47]

He signed a bunch of other bills today, but did nothing with 1296.  To me, that's an indication he is going to let the 7 day window pass without action.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#48]
48 hour countdown. Come on, baby!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
48 hour countdown. Come on, baby!!!
View Quote

It's amazing how "seven days" turns into the 'standard' "two weeks."  I eagerly await Holcomb's inaction.  :D

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's amazing how "seven days" turns into the 'standard' "two weeks."  I eagerly await Holcomb's inaction.  :D

https://i.ibb.co/HP5LdTy/money-pit-two-weeks.jpg
View Quote

I only hope he doesn't do something to EFF it up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top