Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2021 11:49:05 AM EDT
Looking at getting into HAM radio and would like to buy local if possible.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a tough one.
I would love to find a local HAM radio store in Kootenai or Bonner County myself.
I have had my Tech card for about a year and recently upgraded to my General ticket
Check out the Kootenai Amateur Radio Society (k7id) website.
There are a fair number of VHF/UHF/Analog/DMR repeaters listed with their ID's and cooresponding offsets to add to your VHF/UHF codeplugs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I originally started with Baofeng UV5R's, then "upgraded" to Radioddity GD-77's which are substantially easier to program.
But both are Chinese made radio's, so the build quality simply isn't there and they're very delicate.
I then got serious and purchased a Bridgecom Anytone AT-D878UV and LOVED it!
I now have Anytone 878's as handhelds and 578's for mobiles.
American made build quality, excellent reception and clarity and nearly bulletproof.
Massive memory for huge codeplug programming and amazing batteries.
Bridgecom University is also a great learning resource that you get free with purchase.
The newer 578 vehicle radio's work great with your 878 handhelds to extend your comn's range using cross-band repeater mode.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
PowerWerx is also a great resource for Anytone goodies such a high-gain antennas, push-to-talks (PTT's), throat mic's, extra batteries, skybridge hotspots, etcetera.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, just about all of my HAM equipment I have bought online.
Eventually, I intend to get my HF rig completed and then start building a HAM-based local area data network...maybe even a private repeater.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that radio shack is gone, I have ordered everything on line.

Tram Antennas can be ordered thru Home Depot though, Cables and adapters all on line.

Just passed my ham test

eta.

Anytone 778 UV

Baofeng UV-5R
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that radio shack is gone, I have ordered everything on line.

Tram Antennas can be ordered thru Home Depot though, Cables and adapters all on line.

Just passed my ham test

eta.

Anytone 778 UV

Baofeng UV-5R
View Quote
Congratulations on passing your HAM Tech test!!!
Fantastic work!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Recently updated to General.

I couldn't find anything in southern Idaho.  RJC Computers in Boise carries some stuff, antennas, lines, etc.  

I recently picked up a Yaesu FT-70 from MTC out of Texas.  I was surprised how much more traffic I hear than on my Beofengs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, down here in Boise RJM PC is pretty much your option. Good for small one off connectors or pieces you might need. They carry mobile antennas, NMO and magmounts, plus study material and various ARRL publications. They do not have radios however. I always find a way to spend money in there on things I didn't know I need.

Gigaparts, DX Engineering, Ham Radio Online are some of the bigger names for retailers if you end up going online to find things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I am currently trying to develop a PACE-style comms network for the family now that we're so spread out (PACE = primary/alternate/contingency/emergency)

Basically using the analog and DMR repeaters area repeaters to maintain temporary comms should SHTF.

Right now cell phones are primary and we have our own Telegram group and those channels comprise the primary comms.

Alternative comms comprise the use of Anytone AT-D878UV's hand-helds and Anytone 578's vehicle mounted set up for cross-band repeating mode.
Basically the 878's are close-range 7-10 statute miles) between each other yet are tied to vehicular mounted 578's that bump the range to 35-40 statute miles (all depending upon terrain, vegetation, and structures of course.) through a different band (like 2-meterband/7-watts output from handheld to crossband repeat to 77 centimeter vehicle radio pumping out 25-wats output for a greater range).
Both the 878's and 578's are also tied to the local anaog and dmr repeater networks using rather extensive codeplug programs.
Though I don't expect the repeaters to last very long should the electric grid go down...so repeater functionality is ony a temporary thing.

Contingecy comms involve Radioddity GD-77 HT's and GMRS/FRS radios.

Emergency comms involve Bao-Feng UV-5R HT's and GMRS/FRS radio's.

Admittedly still working on contingency and emergancy alternatives at this point.
The GD-77's and Bao-Feng UV-5R are decent radios, but the nowhere near the build-quality and all-weather durability of the American made Anytones, though they're a lot more affordable.

I have lots of spare batteries for everything, but I am looking for a decent rechargeable option that doesn't involve the power grid, my home generators (note to self: check/charge genny batteries!) or being plugged into a running vehicle.
Likely a solar option, but have no knowledge or direct experience as to where to start...so suggestions/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

My comms network is limited in that I am the only one in my family that is a licensed HAM at this point, so the most that anyone else can do is listen on the HAM set-ups.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top