BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2022 11:52:05 AM EDT
It is being introduced

by *Grills

Show Caption Text

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, renames enhanced and concealed handgun carry permits as enhanced and concealed firearm carry permits and authorizes a permit holder to carry any firearms, rather than handguns, that the permit holder legally owns or possesses; expands the circumstances in which a permit holder may carry a firearm. - Amends TCA Title 10; Title 33; Title 36; Title 38; Title 39; Title 40; Title 49; Title 50 and Title 70.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good bill to me
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the sound of it
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate legal jargon mumbo jumbo but I think its a good bill.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds ok so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like this has passed unless I'm reading it wrong.

But how would it work? Does Federal law not trump state anyway?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By twpayne75:
Looks like this has passed unless I'm reading it wrong.

But how would it work? Does Federal law not trump state anyway?
View Quote

Hasn't yet made it out of committee, according to the state website.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JPN:

Hasn't yet made it out of committee, according to the state website.
View Quote

Ok. So let's say it gets passed. Is it like the "sanctuary cities" where it doesn't really mean anything and is basically just symbolic?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
And to be honest, I don't remember exactly how it works, but it looks to have now changed to Senate Bill 2628 and looks to be close.

If I'm reading this stuff right.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#10]
And to be honest, I don't remember exactly how it works, but it looks to have now changed to Senate Bill 2628 and looks to be close.

If I'm reading this stuff right.
View Quote

You are getting bills mixed up.

House Bill 1898, and it's companion bill in the senate, Senate Bill 2803, are bills to change the word "handgun" to the word "firearm" in each of the state laws dealing with carry permits (and permitless carry, if I'm not mistaken).  It would make it legal to carry any firearm that is legal to possess in TN, not just handguns.

SB 2628 is a bill to change the state law so that you cannot be charged (by the state) for possession of an SBR or SBS without a tax stamp.  The feds would still be able to charge you for the 1934NFA violation.  You'd still have to worry about a felony, but have fewer people to worry about trying to convict you for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JPN:

You are getting bills mixed up.

House Bill 1898, and it's companion bill in the senate, Senate Bill 2803, are bills to change the word "handgun" to the word "firearm" in each of the state laws dealing with carry permits (and permitless carry, if I'm not mistaken).  It would make it legal to carry any firearm that is legal to possess in TN, not just handguns.

SB 2628 is a bill to change the state law so that you cannot be charged (by the state) for possession of an SBR or SBS without a tax stamp.  The feds would still be able to charge you for the 1934NFA violation.  You'd still have to worry about a felony, but have fewer people to worry about trying to convict you for it.
View Quote

You are 100% correct. I had a buddy bring the sbr bill to my attention that lives in Florida. Oddly enough I couldn't even find anybody in Tennessee talking about it anywhere. Started scrolling through posts here because I figured if anybody was talking about it, it would be here.

Assumed when I saw the post and didn't check the numbers close enough.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#12]

You are 100% correct. I had a buddy bring the sbr bill to my attention that lives in Florida. Oddly enough I couldn't even find anybody in Tennessee talking about it anywhere. Started scrolling through posts here because I figured if anybody was talking about it, it would be here.

Assumed when I saw the post and didn't check the numbers close enough.
View Quote

I would guess that it's not getting much attention because it doesn't actually make them "legal" (without paperwork), just makes them less "illegal" (fewer charges to face for getting caught with one).

The anti-gun side would probably have a bigger reaction to news of it passing, due to their habit of overreacting to news of any gun laws being removed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for clearing up the SBR thing. I'm trying to get out of Washington right now and we have been looking at your lovely state a bit.

I came in here this morning after watching a YouTube video that's less than 24 hours old where the dude was talking about it but he made it sound like the bill was just allowing you guys to have registered SBRs. I couldn't believe that I could have them here in WA but you guys couldn't.

I'm glad the dude was a tard and you guys are pushing towards more freedom.

Here's the video.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#14]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Thank you for clearing up the SBR thing. I'm trying to get out of Washington right now and we have been looking at your lovely state a bit.

I came in here this morning after watching a YouTube video that's less than 24 hours old where the dude was talking about it but he made it sound like the bill was just allowing you guys to have registered SBRs. I couldn't believe that I could have them here in WA but you guys couldn't.

I'm glad the dude was a tard and you guys are pushing towards more freedom.

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spqw29dW3Js
View Quote

TN is NFA friendly.

State law used to be a little 'off' on suppressors, in that rather than stating that having the tax stamp creates an exception to the state law against possessing one, it stated that the NFA paperwork was a positive defense against prosecution (your lawyer would easily be able to get the case dismissed, if the police bothered to arrest you).  That wording led to one county sheriff refusing to do CLEO signoffs on suppressor purchases, because his DA answered his inquiry about their legality by saying suppressors were illegal in TN.  If my memory isn't off, the state legislature corrected that issue, several years ago.

I would have thought that he would take the time to check the legality of SBRs in TN, before making that video, but it's not the first time people from outside the state have been completely off about what is legal here.  I don't remember the details, but a past thread was started by someone from another state asking a question, that got some replies along the lines of 'why would you think that would be a problem?', then he provided links to a county (in TN) sheriff's website and some online 'gun laws broken down by state' website.  The sheriff's website had obviously not been updated in years and did not reflect current laws, and the 'gun laws by state' website had some information that had NEVER been true in TN.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome!  

I hope to get down that way and check some places out in the next couple of months.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top