Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2021 12:03:07 AM EDT
Just in case you weren’t aware-Let’s hammer the reps and get this bill passed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome  
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard anything about this at all.  Can you elaborate a bit,  maybe give a link to the bill?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0018&ga=112

Gov. Bill Lee has a similar bill he sponsored himself, however it's a little different, and only removes the penalties for carrying a weapon. HB0018 Is the true constitutional carry bill to rally behind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Heard on the Radio yesterday that Gov Lee's bill is the one that is most likely to pass.

Only covers handguns. No open carry of loaded long guns still.

Probably doesn't address gun free zones either.

Sounds like another half measure of disappointment
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard on the Radio yesterday that Gov Lee's bill is the one that is most likely to pass.

View Quote

Typical squishy-headed, linguini-spine'd, half-assed TN Republican governor stuff, Chris. We've seen it over and over for a long time here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Typical squishy-headed, linguini-spine'd, half-assed TN Republican governor stuff, Chris. We've seen it over and over for a long time here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the NRA sent out an email encouraging people to contact their legislators and voice support for the governor's bill.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]
According to this email from TFA Governor's bill did pass.

https://app.getresponse.com/view.html?x=a62b&m=A1LCN&mc=Jg&s=pn0Fad&u=izZc&z=EEI6sj&

Also according to TFA this bill only covers people of 21 or older, and only covers what state defines as handguns. This definition is provided at the below source. According to all of this it looks like the MK18 style pistol AR or Draco 10 1/2" AK's with pistol braces added are still within the confines of this law.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2019/title-39/chapter-11/part-1/section-39-11-106/
(18) "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12") that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand;

If you have conflicting info please share.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to this email from TFA Governor's bill did pass.

https://app.getresponse.com/view.html?x=a62b&m=A1LCN&mc=Jg&s=pn0Fad&u=izZc&z=EEI6sj&

Also according to TFA this bill only covers people of 21 or older, and only covers what state defines as handguns. This definition is provided at the below source. According to all of this it looks like the MK18 style pistol AR or Draco 10 1/2" AK's with pistol braces added are still within the confines of this law.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2019/title-39/chapter-11/part-1/section-39-11-106/
(18) "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12") that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand;

If you have conflicting info please share.
View Quote

Passed in the Senate, but still has to go to a floor vote in the House.

ETA: Part of the email that the NRA sent out:

"Earlier today, the Tennessee Senate passed important Constitutional Carry legislation, Senate Bill 765.  Despite a swath of misinformation and disingenuous attack ads against pro-gun legislators from gun control organizations and out-of-state fundraising groups, our right to self-defense has taken a big step towards becoming law.  The measure’s companion bill, House Bill 786, will be considered in the House Finance Committee on Tuesday, March 23.  Please contact committee members and ask them to SUPPORT House Bill 786."

Later on in the email it claims that anti-gun groups have allied themselves with faux-gun rights groups and have been lying to Tennesseans in order to advance their own agenda.

Which reminds me, and I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I still need to send in my payment for this year's membership to the TFA (and kick in an additional donation, if their website still allows that).

ETA2: Yep, website still allows tacking donations on with the renewal payment.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping HB0018 would be the bill, oh well. It is something, better than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was hoping HB0018 would be the bill, oh well. It is something, better than nothing I suppose.
View Quote

That has been the pattern with 'carry reform' in TN for quite a while.  A bill that takes a smaller incremental step is offered as an alternative, when it starts looking like there is a chance of passing a bill that takes a bigger step in removing restrictions on carry.

It's still not a done deal.  The governor's bill still has to get out of committee in the House, and it could still be amended (in committee) to cover anyone that can legally possess a firearm, instead of just those who qualify for a carry permit.  Would be nice if it was also amended to cover "firearms", instead of just handguns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That has been the pattern with 'carry reform' in TN for quite a while.  A bill that takes a smaller incremental step is offered as an alternative, when it starts looking like there is a chance of passing a bill that takes a bigger step in removing restrictions on carry.

It's still not a done deal.  The governor's bill still has to get out of committee in the House, and it could still be amended (in committee) [color=#ff0000]to cover anyone that can legally possess a firearm, instead of just those who qualify for a carry permit.  Would be nice if it was also amended to cover "firearms", instead of just handguns.
View Quote

Agree 110%. Just have to wait and see what all they propose
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the Governor's Bill for Permitless handgun carry (open or concealed) has now passed the state house too and is heading to the Governor to sign. Since this is the bill he was backing, I see no reason why he wouldn't sign it.

Although this isn't true constitutional carry, it is a good step in he right direction I guess.

Anyone know any details about a TFA backed amendment to make the bill more like constitutional carry but failed due to some error in the amendment?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#13]
The TFA was asking that the bill be amended to include:

- allow any individual who can legally possess a firearm to carry that firearm

- eliminate the 'handgun only' restriction

- eliminate the "right to be" provision

- eliminate any provision that imposes any infringement greater than what is found in current federal or state law regarding firearms ownership or possession

- eliminate gun free zones for those who carry legally without a permit just as if the person held an enhanced permit (e.g., in public parks, on greenways, etc.,)

There was apparently some concern, in recent days, that the dems would use the bill being open to amendments on the House floor to either use procedural shenanigans to table the bill, or add a poison pill amendment (though they would need something over 20 republicans to go along with that, for it to work).  Also seems to have been some concern over whether or not the bill would lose support from some republicans, if the bill was amended more toward a true Constitutional carry bill.

I haven't heard what actually ended up happening when the bill went to the floor, so I don't know how much those concerns turned out to be valid.

ETA: The NRA's email about the bill passing in the House, continues to use their vague accusation about "faux-gun rights organizations" spreading misinformation about the bill.  Victory declared over a 'well, at least this is a step in the right direction' bill.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
So without a permit what happens if you are in other states that require a permit to carry?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So without a permit what happens if you are in other states that require a permit to carry?
View Quote

Zero change from how things were, last week.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]
If I've followed correctly,

- there is no change in the existing permits (though the newer 'online class' permit seems to have lost it's reason for existing)

- the bill only allows people who are eligible to get a TN carry permit, to carry (state resident, 21 or over, no disqualifiers on their record)

- only applies to handguns (still have to leave all other firearms at home or in the vehicle)

- various places where past improvements in the carry laws gradually allowed permit holders (of the older permit) to carry (public parks, greenways, etc) are still legally 'gun-free zones' to anyone that doesn't have the older permit
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This does not eliminate the current carry permit in Tennessee. If you wish to continue enjoying the reciprocity afforded to TN carry permit holders you will need to continue using a TN carry permit.

All this law really does is do away with the requirement for a carry permit in Tennessee for open or concealed carry of a handgun by anyone in the state that is not prohibited from possessing a handgun.

Sure would like to see it applied to long guns too. Not that I am advocating for people to go around carrying ARs everywhere all the time, but we should have the option to do so if we feel the desire to.

Also need to make carrying in a place with no guns signs posted not a crime in Tennessee. Should only be subject to trespass laws if one refuses to leave at the request of the property owner or business manager.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All this law really does is do away with the requirement for a carry permit in Tennessee for open or concealed carry of a handgun by anyone in the state that is not prohibited from possessing a handgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did they get it amended to expand it that much?

Last I heard, it was still only for those who didn't have any disqualifiers (under 21, DUI record, etc) for a carry permit.

ETA: This is the short summary shown on the state website, though it may not have been updated to show any amendments:

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 14, Part 1; Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 40, Chapter 35, relative to firearms.
Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates an exception to the offense of unlawful carrying of a firearm, if a person meets the qualifications for an enhanced handgun carry permit, lawfully possesses a handgun, and is in a place that the person has a right to be; revises other firearm statutes. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 14, Part 1; Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 40, Chapter 35.

As I recall, "meets the qualifications for an enhanced handgun carry permit" means 21 and up, valid TN driver's license, no DUIs in the last 5 years, no more than one DUI in the last 10 years, and no issues that would cause you to fail the federal background check on a handgun purchase at a store.

The "place a person has a right to be" wording, opens up the possibility of catching an unlawful carrying of a firearm charge, if a store manager calls the cops and claims you are trespassing.  Not a guarantee, but I wouldn't want to be the test case on that.

ETA2: Longer version of the text, from the state website:
Click To View Spoiler
Stalking conviction is also a disqualifier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also need to make carrying in a place with no guns signs posted not a crime in Tennessee. Should only be subject to trespass laws if one refuses to leave at the request of the property owner or business manager.
View Quote

Absolutely.

Look for the anti-carry people to push businesses to post their property. After carry in bars with a permit became legal, that’s what happened in Nashville.  Oddly, during the NRA meeting there a few years ago, several bars covered those signs with “NRA members welcome” signs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
So this law goes into effect 7/1? Waiting on my enhanced permit currently and it’s been a long week. Still have a few more to go
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So this law goes into effect 7/1? Waiting on my enhanced permit currently and it’s been a long week. Still have a few more to go
View Quote

Yep, July 1st.

If you don't have your carry permit by then, there is something seriously wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I think we're just waiting for Lee to sign the bill and I haven't seen or heard anything where he has signed yet. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment, while it seems that the bill could be tweaked to some degree, it's mostly good and a positive step in the right direction for Tenneseeans to excercise their rights without a gov permission slip.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think we're just waiting for Lee to sign the bill and I haven't seen or heard anything where he has signed yet. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment, while it seems that the bill could be tweaked to some degree, it's mostly good and a positive step in the right direction for Tenneseeans to excercise their rights without a gov permission slip.
View Quote

Section 13 of the bill states that it will take effect on July 1st.

https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/HB0786.pdf

https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/SB0765.pdf

What's the usual lag between a bill being passed by the legislature and the governor signing it?  Since this is Gov Lee's bill, it would seem likely that he wouldn't delay signing it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, July 1st.

If you don't have your carry permit by then, there is something seriously wrong.
View Quote

Im pretty boring so I assume it should get approved in a few weeks. The guy doing my finger prints said its gonna take a 3+ weeks so I have been checking it online so I hope by months end.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Section 13 of the bill states that it will take effect on July 1st.

https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/HB0786.pdf

https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/SB0765.pdf

What's the usual lag between a bill being passed by the legislature and the governor signing it?  Since this is Gov Lee's bill, it would seem likely that he wouldn't delay signing it.
View Quote

I have no idea what the lag time is between bills, but yeah, I'd think he'd sign that shit pronto.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have no idea what the lag time is between bills, but yeah, I'd think he'd sign that shit pronto.
View Quote

He can simply sit and let July 1 without signing and it goes into law without the possible political backlash if he had signed it.  Stupid political games.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Apparently after reading both of those bills I'm not smart enough to understand WTF they actually do.  Still too much talk about permit holders further down but I guess after it's changed to persons at the top that applies to the lines further down as well?  I would not make a good lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Apparently after reading both of those bills I'm not smart enough to understand WTF they actually do.  Still too much talk about permit holders further down but I guess after it's changed to persons at the top that applies to the lines further down as well?  I would not make a good lawyer.
View Quote

To have a shot at understanding what gun control bills do, you have to find one of the online law libraries that lets you search for the text of the existing law (TCA 39-17-1307, for example), read the law as it currently stands, then mentally make the edits spelled out in the bill, to see how it changes.

If you recall some years ago when the NRA was making a fuss over some bill that would require gun owners to declare each of their handguns on their next tax return and pay a one time tax of $50 for each gun (which the NRA was claiming was a backdoor registration attempt), the bill had one line buried in it that added "handgun" to the line in the federal tax codes that spell out what types of guns are regulated under the 1934 NFA.  It wasn't an attempt at "backdoor registration".  It was an attempt at actual registration under the NFA (with everything that comes with it), but the NFA was never mentioned in the bill or it's summary.  Every single line of a bill has the potential to make a drastic change in the law.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the bill was transmitted from the Senate to the Governor's office on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Governor signed it today.
https://www.wate.com/news/tennessee/gov-lee-signs-permitless-constitutional-carry-into-law/
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Has the Tennessean run any articles predicting 'blood in the streets' for tomorrow (even though it doesn't take effect until July)?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Great news!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, this is pretty cool.

Honestly, it doesn’t change much for me personally.  I’m going to keep up my permit for travel and the like.  I wish real constitutional carry would have passed, and the “No-gun zone” offense went away and just turned into trespassing if you won’t leave.

But hey, it pissed off the anti-freedom crowd, and that’s good enough for me.  And the law is definitely a step in the proper direction.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He can simply sit and let July 1 without signing and it goes into law without the possible political backlash if he had signed it.  Stupid political games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know that was a procedure, but yes, stupid games abound. I'm just glad he signed it finally. Maybe next year we can add some language to it making it a True Constitutional carry bill.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Has the Tennessean run any articles predicting 'blood in the streets' for tomorrow (even though it doesn't take effect until July)?
View Quote

Oh you know they will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top