Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2022 6:14:20 AM EDT
I have a new 1911.  Was thinking of having well known, reputable gunsmith, that is experienced working on 1911s,  in MI, to give it a once over.  I’m not having any specific issue.

Any suggestions on where and who to take it to?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why limit yourself to Michigan?

Ned Christenson in Three Rivers is a world class 1911 smith, backlogged probably 6 years and expensive.

Without knowing what 1911 you purchased I can't tell if you want to put lipstick on a pig, or actually have a quality firearm to begin this expensive process.

Great gunsmiths are in demand and not cheap. Exactly what type of work needs to be done? Better sights can be installed at home, even with the pin and stake original style if you are willing to roll up your sleeves. EGW sells custom sized barrel bushings sized specifically for your barrel. Barrel measurements will need to taken prior to ordering one.

Replacing the safety or trigger with an aftermarket model will help. Careful fitting and going slow will make a world of difference. Lots of online videos are available to learn the process.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why limit yourself to Michigan?

Ned Christenson in Three Rivers is a world class 1911 smith, backlogged probably 6 years and expensive.

Without knowing what 1911 you purchased I can't tell if you want to put lipstick on a pig, or actually have a quality firearm to begin this expensive process.

Great gunsmiths are in demand and not cheap. Exactly what type of work needs to be done? Better sights can be installed at home, even with the pin and stake original style if you are willing to roll up your sleeves. EGW sells custom sized barrel bushings sized specifically for your barrel. Barrel measurements will need to taken prior to ordering one.

Replacing the safety or trigger with an aftermarket model will help. Careful fitting and going slow will make a world of difference. Lots of online videos are available to learn the process.

View Quote

Springfield Armory TRP.

Already doing sights at home.

I don’t mind paying, but 6 years is a bit of a wait

Probably should have just went with a SA Professional and paid up front. Nothing specifically wrong with the gun, other than it only likes factory SA mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Doug Jones is a popular Michigan 1911 'smith.

Accurail
Rochester Hills, MI
(248) 852-6490

He has done three 1911's and an FEG Hi Power for me.

His prices are fair and he is pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Accurail
Rochester Hills, MI
(248) 852-6490

View Quote

What did you have done, specifically?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Accurail
Rochester Hills, MI
(248) 852-6490

View Quote

Doug is good to go for anything you need done. Had him slick up my wife’s 2011 and accu rail it. Guy is a wizard.

Shoot with him at matches quite often… seems like half the squad uses him for their gunsmithing needs.

Reminds me that I need to take my para 18-9 I’m for a new adjustable trigger before the match season starts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What did you have done, specifically?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

1991A1

Accurailed
Match bushing
McCormick Commander hammer
Trigger job
Short trigger
Harrison Design rear sight
Tritium front sight
Fitted the grip safety
Fitted the Wilson thumb safety
Ed Brown mainspring housing

Attachment Attached File

Gold Cup Trophy

Added front slide serrations
Harrison Design rear sight
Bead blasted finish
Fitted Ed Brown thumb safety
Shortened the trigger
Shortened the slide stop pin and beveled the slide stop hole
Broke the sharp edges off the back of the slide and hammer spur

Attachment Attached File

Home made CCO

Fitted the Commander slide to my Officer frame
Welded up the barrel lugs
Fitted S/A grip safety
Fitted McCormick thumb safety
Drilled out and bevelled the Commander hammer
Cerakoated the frame.
Undercut the trigger job
Stippled the front strap

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a new 1911.  Was thinking of having well known, reputable gunsmith, that is experienced working on 1911s,  in MI, to give it a once over.  I’m not having any specific issue.

Any suggestions on where and who to take it to?
View Quote

I don't understand your objective.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't understand your objective.
View Quote

It would be more for reliability and smoothness.  Remove any burs, smooth out the action, polish parts.  
All stuff that will eventually happen on its own as I shoot it, Probably
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
AAE Ron’s a good dude.

Scratch that, he’s gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AAE Ron’s a good dude.

Scratch that, he’s gone.
View Quote

What do you mean he is gone?  The website is still.up?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What do you mean he is gone?  The website is still.up?
View Quote

Obituary
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  I talked to him about a project months ago.  Just a phone call.  Never brought the gun in.  

55 years old, damn.  I am 52.  It really hits you when you see this and that there is no guarantee that you will make it to be an old man.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow.  I talked to him about a project months ago.  Just a phone call.  Never brought the gun in.  

55 years old, damn.  I am 52.  It really hits you when you see this and that there is no guarantee that you will make it to be an old man.

View Quote

I've known him for a long time and he's worked on a lot of my guns, he was a good dude a little quirky but a good dude.  When he was the gunsmith at Gander mountain on Hall road 25 or so years ago he reblued one of my shotgun barrels that Beretta fucked up, he turned it into a thing of beauty. He'll be missed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s very sad, had Ron work on many of my guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top