Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2023 1:13:09 PM EDT
I am looking for some feedback on some gunsmiths in the area. I need some ghost ring sights installed on my shotguns and I found only two that would do the job.

Jack Keister doesn’t do silver solder or install those sights. He recommended Homestead. I called Homestead and he doesn’t do the silver solder. He drills and taps the sights and then uses a compound of some sort. He told me those sights wouldn’t come off. Or if I tired to get them off it would be very hard once they are done.

Has anyone used Homestead? If so, what are your thoughts? He seemed very knowledgeable and has good ratings.

The last shop that I called is only open in the evenings and a couple hours in the afternoon on Saturday. Hudson Guns. He told me he does silver solder and was very reasonable on price. He also has good ratings but he’s part time.

Has anyone used Hudson Guns? If so, what are your thoughts?

Hudson was the only one of the two that said he would do silver solder and it would look factory installed. I know drilling and tapping these sights is another method but I’m not sure what one is the best.

Give me some feedback if you can. Or is this something you can do? I am tempted to try and do it myself. I’ve worked with stained glass and soldering but I know this is a bit different. The solder is different.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Homestead does good work, fixed a few for me over the years.

I didn't know Hudson did gun work but when hes open its a good shop he runs out of his home.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ron silver soldered a couple front sights for me several years ago. The first was then hot blued (one of his last caustic hot blue jobs before he pulled his tanks) and it was absolutely perfect.  I picked the second barrel up before he had chance to clean up the the inevitable line of overflow figuring I could do that work myself and then rust blue the barrel.  Of course it still isn't done because life got in the way -- but that's hardly Ron's fault.  Just lack of follow through on my part.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ron silver soldered a couple front sights for me several years ago. The first was then hot blued (one of his last caustic hot blue jobs before he pulled his tanks) and it was absolutely perfect.  I picked the second barrel up before he had chance to clean up the the inevitable line of overflow figuring I could do that work myself and then rust blue the barrel.  Of course it still isn't done because life got in the way -- but that's hardly Ron's fault.  Just lack of follow through on my part.
View Quote

Who is Ron and what shop is his?

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Homestead does good work, fixed a few for me over the years.

I didn't know Hudson did gun work but when hes open its a good shop he runs out of his home.
View Quote

When talking to them both on the phone they both seemed to know what they were talking about and hearing that both are recommended I feel better about dropping my shotguns off and having the work done. I have just never dealt with either of them. Appreciate the help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry for the late response... Ron Hudson.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks. Hopefully later this summer I can get some sights put onto my shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top