Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 12:41:01 PM EDT
I put a thermometer/hygrometer in my safe.  Right now, it's 81° and 26% humidity.  Some reading suggests that temp is "too high" and the humidity is "too low".  Does anyone do anything to regulate temperature or humidity?  Obviously, I doubt I'll ever need to lower humidity in AZ :-D
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I put large commercial bags of desiccant in my safe and keep the safe inside an air conditioned room.

Can't tell if you are joking about humidity but the humidity during monsoon rusted up a couple of my guns when I first moved to Arizona and didn't know better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I've ever heard about low humidity being an issue is with wood stocks/furniture (gun furniture not home).

My safe is usually in the lows 20s humidity wise.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't tell if you are joking about humidity but the humidity during monsoon rusted up a couple of my guns when I first moved to Arizona and didn't know better.
View Quote

Good point!  Hadn't thought of that.  I have a rechargeable dehumidifier in each safe, and now that I have a hygrometer in each I can see if humidity starts to rise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
In almost 40 years as a gun owner in AZ, nope, never had an issue with properly maintained firearms. As mentioned, monsoon can drastically raise humidity - I like to say we have three seasons, hot dry, hot wet, and mildly cool. I don't have any such gauges or devices in my safe, either. Your mileage may vary, most certainly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing I've ever heard about low humidity being an issue is with wood stocks/furniture (gun furniture not home).

My safe is usually in the lows 20s humidity wise.
View Quote

Occasionally you'll see some cracking in the wood due to high heat/low humidity, but where it does get bad is on antique furniture.  The glue dries out so bad it just falls apart.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a goldenrod in the safes, and called it done.  Never had a problem after that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If your safe is in the garage you can have issues, in the house I have a couple of those dryer packs that you plug in to regenerate in my safe.
30 years and no rust, that being said very old guns will likely have the wood shrink, I have a Winchester made in 1911 that has the wood all loosey goosey.
On my newer firearms a coat of marine varnish on the wood seems to help with drying/shrinkage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top