Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2018 7:56:20 PM EDT
Hi from north of the cheddar curtain!

A good friend landed his dream job in Chicago.  The problem is that he's going to move to the City of Chicago proper and is a firearms owner.  Thankfully he only has five firearms:

Long guns:  Winchester 97 12 ga pump, Mosin 7.62x54R, an AR15 with 20s and 30s

Hand guns:  1911 .45 and Glock 19 with 15 rounders

From what I can tell, the AR and mags are totally illegal in Chicago and the Glock needs to get low capacity 10 round mags within Chicago.  The Win 97, Mosin, 1911, and Glock themselves are totally fine.

What should he do (and in what order) to keep the law happy with him?  I used to be a FFL and am vaguely aware of your FOID, but does it go further in Chicago proper?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi from north of the cheddar curtain!

A good friend landed his dream job in Chicago.  The problem is that he's going to move to the City of Chicago proper and is a firearms owner.  Thankfully he only has five firearms:

Long guns:  Winchester 97 12 ga pump, Mosin 7.62x54R, an AR15 with 20s and 30s

Hand guns:  1911 .45 and Glock 19 with 15 rounders

From what I can tell, the AR and mags are totally illegal in Chicago and the Glock needs to get low capacity 10 round mags within Chicago.  The Win 97, Mosin, 1911, and Glock themselves are totally fine.

What should he do (and in what order) to keep the law happy with him?  I used to be a FFL and am vaguely aware of your FOID, but does it go further in Chicago proper?
View Quote
First, is he willing to live in collar county e.g. DuPage, Lake, etc and commute in?   The Metra commuter rail system is pretty good.

ARs banned in Chicago and Cook County and a surrounding municipality or two some of which are in the middle of lawsuits.  Some ranges have rental lockers for storage outside of those areas.

Cook County has 10 rd mag cap on books.  Chicago has 15 rd mag cap plus stuff like laser bans.

These are on books but State in theory has handgun preemption and "assault weapon" preemption  unless AW laws passed within 10 days or before CCL law.  Not been tested in court and not aware of those charged unless used as add on charges

FOID is a state law.

Get DL

Apply for $10 FOID https://www.ispfsb.com takes 4-6 weeks

Take CCL class https://www.ispfsb.com (16 hrs + shooting test. Some potential credit hours with prior training or time spent in military)

Apply for $150 CCL https://www.ispfsb.com
Up to 90 days with optional fingerprints. Up to 120 days no prints

You do not need FOID to take CCL class and may apply for FOID  and CCL at same time.  DL with correct exact address and name is key.

FOID  or CCL required for firearm or ammunition purchase and possession within state.

Waiting periods are 24 hrs for long gun, 72 hrs for handgun.   After 1/1/19 72 hrs for all firearm purchases.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Doubt he'll think its a dream job in 6 months once he sees how gun owners are regarded
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait till he fully realizes the tax burden, the corrupt politics, the high cost of living in chiraq, trouble finding a parking spot anywhere near your house, parking tickets galore for this that and the other

I'm fighting chiraq over a 60.00 street cleaning ticket.  No signage posted anywhere near where I was parked so I took a picture looking east and west, enclosed said pics with a letter:

To whom it may concern.  This ticket was issued in error as there is no signage posted within a reasonable distance of my parking spot.  Should you wish to contest my evidence please do so within seven days.  After such time I will consider the matter closed.

Chiraq only gives you seven days to pay or contest so I extended the same courtesy to them.  About ten days later I received another notice of said unpaid ticket.  It went into the garbage.

Went thru the same BS with them about a year ago and I won.  Still have the letter hanging in my office just in case they someday change their mind and say I didn't pay.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I moved up here a few months ago. I did rent a storage locker at a gun shop out in Lombard. $175 a year. I keep a few AR's there. Been a mission and still fighting with ATF to bring my SBR's.
Yes, gun ownership here is horrible and a constant fight just to keep what we have. Luckily I am only here for a few years in my dream job. I am enjoying it.
Most people ask why would I move from Miami to Chicago. I tell them the pay. Miami is NOT what people think it is!!! It is crap. Born and raised there. My bills here in Chicago are exactly the same, actually a bit less. but my salary is MUCH higher! Political corruption??? Same thing in Miami. Same exact thing!
Tell your friend to take the CCW class as soon as he gets here. Get Drivers license, then apply for FOID and CCW at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If somebody offered me a decent paying job in Chicago I would take the job but continue to live in Oswego and take the train in. I could also see moving to Indiana, a gun friendly state and take the South Shore trains in. There are some good options for your friend without the friend living in that shit hole Chicago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:44:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless the situation has changed, for someone moving into the state if they're interested in concealed carry I would recommend applying for FOID and CCL simultaneously. If you apply for the FOID first, then apply for CCL, the CCL will not begin processing until the FOID is approved which would tend to add ~30 days to the CCL process.

I wouldn't change DL until I had the CCL class out of the way and everything set to immediately apply.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless the situation has changed, for someone moving into the state if they're interested in concealed carry I would recommend applying for FOID and CCL simultaneously. If you apply for the FOID first, then apply for CCL, the CCL will not begin processing until the FOID is approved which would tend to add ~30 days to the CCL process.

I wouldn't change DL until I had the CCL class out of the way and everything set to immediately apply.
View Quote
Is it possible to obtain a FOID w/o an IL DL or ID card?  Plus, not applying for a DL within 90 days of a move is a violation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible to obtain a FOID w/o an IL DL or ID card?
View Quote
Nope, you must have one or the other.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
What gun owners moving to Illinois need to know: https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/a-guide-for-new-resident-gun-owners-in-illinois/

Obviously Chicago ordinances are more strict. He should read the Chicago Municipal ordinance on Amlegal website, 8-20 is the chapter on weapons. A summary is pretty much no semi auto pistols and most semi auto shot guns. Any handgun should be good to go but magazine capacity is up in the air because people have had their mags confiscated even though it goes against state law to do so.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doubt he'll think its a dream job in 6 months once he sees how gun owners are regarded
View Quote
And the very high cost of living, that dream salary might not seem to high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top