Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2019 9:35:18 PM EDT
So I was born and raised in Fort Collins Colorado. We are in BIG trouble in Colorado and with all the liberal Californians  taking over we truly are becoming California east. I'm seriously thinking of moving out of Colorado because I think it is truly a sinking ship. I want to move to a sold gun friendly state that is conservative and red. I dont want to end up in a place that is going to be like Colorado in 10 years and I'm wondering what Iowa is like and what the long term projection is like as far as keeping freedom and sticking with the Constitution. I may transfer with the company I have worked for but can also work from home and my wife is an experienced surgical nurse so she should be able to find a job anywhere. I'm also an NRA instructor and teach a lot of classes so shooting is very important to me. I'm also interested in the concealed weapons/carry laws. We are looking in the Carroll Iowa area at some beautiful acreages that are much cheaper then what Colorado prices are(which are CRAZY expensive!!!!) Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Feel free to PM me. Born and raised in Carroll county and still here. I can get you any information you want I know nearly everyone and everything in this area.

Hit me up and I’d be glad to help ya! Our local government and groups have been kicking ass lately and have restored what we all thought was a lost cause as well.

As long as your conservative and pro 2a and respectful get your ass here ASAP, we need as many as we can to off set the absolute bull shit this state is doing shipping in POS from Chicago and similar.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feel free to PM me. Born and raised in Carroll county and still here. I can get you any information you want I know nearly everyone and everything in this area.

Hit me up and I’d be glad to help ya! Our local government and groups have been kicking ass lately and have restored what we all thought was a lost cause as well.

As long as your conservative and pro 2a and respectful get your ass here ASAP, we need as many as we can to off set the absolute bull shit this state is doing shipping in POS from Chicago and similar.
View Quote
I wonder if you know someone I know also out in Carroll. Like me, he has a GSD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you! Yeah I’m about as conservative as it gets. I can’t stand liberals and their bullshit and unfortunately I’m surrounded by them in Colorado. I absolutely love fire arms and I teach classes for the NRA and I shoot all kinds of guns all the time. I lean to the far right for sure! I just don’t wanna uproot my family and end up in an area that liberals could take over. That’s why am doing my research. If we move it’s going to be to a conservative stronghold.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Decent area  my mom  sister and my daughters family live in Carroll. I live a few miles away  don’t lock my doors  and leave my keys in my vehicles every day.
Hospitals close by are inManning. And Lake City . Both have surgery centers
weather can be picturesque to brutal in any month of the year .  
Local ranges are a public / private pistol rifle range on the edge of the city . A LE range at the landfill and Wendalls Weapons is in construction of a indoor facility Volquartsen is also just  southeast of the city . There is also a trap skeet clays range  between Dedham and Coon Rapids Iowa that is very nice .
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wonder if you know someone I know also out in Carroll. Like me, he has a GSD.
View Quote
@slims_88

There’s a pretty good chance I do.

OP. Haven’t got your PM yet but I will lay it out for you...

It’s boring as hell. Nothing to do. Cold in the winter hot in summer. It’s not pretty at all here like it is in other part of the states it’s literally nothing but fields and shit rivers and ponds. There are literally a million livestock animals to every person. Again there is absolutely nothing to do here and half the time the people suck. There are good ones though. There isn’t shit for public land and super nice parks like you have out west... I have spent a lot of time all over Colorado and Utah I can relate to you...

It’s easy as hell to get a job here but most don’t pay for shit. Again depending on lots of things though it is SUPER easy to get ahead here if you do have a good paying career because living is so cheap.

We travel ALOT because it sucks here.

THAT SAID....

It’s cheap as hell to live here. It’s cheap as hell to eat here. It’s safe as hell to live here and raise a family here. There’s more animals then people so it’s quiet. Most family is here so this is where we stay and most likely won’t leave. Will rethink everything when the kids go to college and grow up though will probably end up down south!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Moved here from IL about a year and a half ago and it's been the second best thing I ever did besides getting married. I found a full time job in a couple weeks and after a couple months found a much better one, we had to move for it but it's been worth it. (Ames area)

There's stuff to do if you want to live somewhere around Des Moines, eastern Iowa has a lot of really beautiful areas. (IMHO but I was raised in central Illinois)

As for the future of politics? Who knows. There aren't a lot of liberals flooding the border like Californians fleeing to TX and CO, but in the US house Democrats picked up two seats from Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@slims_88

There’s a pretty good chance I do.

OP. Haven’t got your PM yet but I will lay it out for you...

It’s boring as hell. Nothing to do. Cold in the winter hot in summer. It’s not pretty at all here like it is in other part of the states it’s literally nothing but fields and shit rivers and ponds. There are literally a million livestock animals to every person. Again there is absolutely nothing to do here and half the time the people suck. There are good ones though. There isn’t shit for public land and super nice parks like you have out west... I have spent a lot of time all over Colorado and Utah I can relate to you...

It’s easy as hell to get a job here but most don’t pay for shit. Again depending on lots of things though it is SUPER easy to get ahead here if you do have a good paying career because living is so cheap.

We travel ALOT because it sucks here.

THAT SAID....

It’s cheap as hell to live here. It’s cheap as hell to eat here. It’s safe as hell to live here and raise a family here. There’s more animals then people so it’s quiet. Most family is here so this is where we stay and most likely won’t leave. Will rethink everything when the kids go to college and grow up though will probably end up down south!
View Quote
Yeah, sorry been a busy few days on vacation from work. I'm not a hard one to entertain. I'm looking at a place located at 16943 200th St Carroll, IA 51401. I love the house and shop and would be my last move till I die. I have never been isolated but I love to be home and have a lot of work and hobbies that would keep me busy on a daily basis. I'm a knife maker and like to detail and work on vehicles(part time business in Colorado but could do that in Iowa) so the shop would be where I spend all my free time. I shoot a lot so I would be doing that a lot on the property. We go to town to eat out a lot so as long as Carroll has some good restaurants(even some fast food like burgers and tacos, ice cream ect), Wal-Mart(I work for the non-public logistic side but could transfer to the store side and keep my salary if I continued to work for them) I'd be happy. Movie theater would be nice. My wife and I have a 9 year old son that I could spend a lot of time teaching him stuff in that setting. I work part time teaching Kickboxing classes(taught for over 25 years) so a good gym is needed. Looks like caroll has all of that. What do you feel it is boring? What do you mean by most people suck? Also is it windy? I'm very close to Wyoming and it can get windy at times
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Moved here from IL about a year and a half ago and it's been the second best thing I ever did besides getting married. I found a full time job in a couple weeks and after a couple months found a much better one, we had to move for it but it's been worth it. (Ames area)

There's stuff to do if you want to live somewhere around Des Moines, eastern Iowa has a lot of really beautiful areas. (IMHO but I was raised in central Illinois)

As for the future of politics? Who knows. There aren't a lot of liberals flooding the border like Californians fleeing to TX and CO, but in the US house Democrats picked up two seats from Iowa.
View Quote
What do you do for work?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you do for work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you do for work?
Lets just say if you have a CDL its impossible to be unemployed in this state.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
As I said before send me a PM and I will include my number and I can go over absolutely every detail with you over the phone. I work in Carroll live within 20 minutes and have for 30 years with family here for generations. Like I said I can answer any question you can even think of over the phone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As I said before send me a PM and I will include my number and I can go over absolutely every detail with you over the phone. I work in Carroll live within 20 minutes and have for 30 years with family here for generations. Like I said I can answer any question you can even think of over the phone.
View Quote
Ok great!  My membership has expired and my messages don’t seem to be working because I have too many stored. You could send me an email to [email protected]  and I could get your info there. Thanks again! Chris
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Email sent!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Iowa is a purple state.
Democrats took over in 1964
Republicans came back in the mid 1970s but weakened in the 1980s
Republicans got solid control in most of the 1990s but selected old Jim Ross Lightfoot and got spanked for the executive
Democrats ruled much of the 2000s, especially after more poor gubernatorial candidates
Republicans are technically in charge now, but very mixed results with Trump effect destroying the Congressional delegation

No party or faction has control for much over two years and usually the change is moderate. Iowa’s governors and senior officials go to jail/prison much less than other bordering states.

Iowa is not a big C conservative state, it is conservative in nature.

Temper your expectations accordingly. Carroll County is strongly German Catholic. Travel 40 miles in several directions and make sure your Español is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Iowa is typically a purple state - thanks to the larger cities in it - Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City.  That area of Iowa you are thinking about is very red though.  I do think that Iowa will continue to be relatively purple.

Most people are pretty pragmatic, IMO.  Probably more so than a lot of states at least.

Iowa is not as gun friendly as we would like, but we are making progress in that area.  I do think we will continue to make progress, though there was a major setback this evening as far as a constitutional amendment.

Hope you decide to come on over - we need more like us.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, if google maps is correct, my advice is:

Don't buy a house next to a hog confinement.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Western Iowa is rural, flat, and boring.  Gun laws are pretty good, no machine guns, but that's about the worst of it.  You can't swing a dead cat and not hit an NRA instructor in this state.  Hunting is some good some not good.  There's is virtually no public ground, you need to find private.  Deer hunting in western Iowa is pretty poor.  Bird population is supposed to be on the upswing.  Gun show circuit is still pretty strong.  Stand alone gunshops are somewhat scarce because of that.

Politically we're purple and always have been.  Control of the state house and governor's mansion swings back and forth with some regularity.  Western Iowa tends to the conservative side.  Both senators are republican, 3 of 4 house members are democrats.

Lived here all my life.  Never had a good reason to move.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, if google maps is correct, my advice is:

Don't buy a house next to a hog confinement.
View Quote
Or next to a wind turdbine or proposed wind turdbine facility, your property value will drop in half and the nuisance issues are problematic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty conservative around here long as your out of polk and Johnson county. I'm in the SE and never run out of stuff to do but my main hobbies are hunting/fishing/bow fishing. I spend a lot of time in Colorado love the state but  it is turning into California east I've called it that for years sadly
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Western Iowa is rural, flat, and boring.  Gun laws are pretty good, no machine guns, but that's about the worst of it.  You can't swing a dead cat and not hit an NRA instructor in this state.  Hunting is some good some not good.  There's is virtually no public ground, you need to find private.  Deer hunting in western Iowa is pretty poor.  Bird population is supposed to be on the upswing.  Gun show circuit is still pretty strong.  Stand alone gunshops are somewhat scarce because of that.

Politically we're purple and always have been.  Control of the state house and governor's mansion swings back and forth with some regularity.  Western Iowa tends to the conservative side.  Both senators are republican, 3 of 4 house members are democrats.

Lived here all my life.  Never had a good reason to move.
View Quote
Its not just western Iowa.  Most of the state, sans the meto areas, are conservative,

Our newly elected democratic senator in Washington carried 1 county.  So she actually represents des MoinesAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Iowa has two Republican senators in DC.
Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst. Both are solidly Republican but known as reasonable. Both are assets to the state.

The Iowa delegation in the US House Of Representatives is now three Democrats and one sorta Republican.
My guess is Abbie Finkenauer will be marginally effective in DC. Loebsack is a decent guy but has a terrible legislative record. Fortunate for him, Loebsack could die and be re-elected as a zombie for the next 12 years and still have a more effective record than Steve King.
King is the least effective Congressman amongst his 534 peers and likely Iowa’s worst performer ever. His most recent shenanigans have him booted out of all committee assignments...
https://www.congress.gov/member/steve-king/K000362?s=1&r=1&q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22Steve+king%22%5D%2C%22sponsorship%22%3A%22sponsored%22%7D
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Iowa has two Republican senators in DC.
Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst. Both are solidly Republican but known as reasonable. Both are assets to the state.

The Iowa delegation in the US House Of Representatives is now three Democrats and one sorta Republican.
My guess is Abbie Finkenauer will be marginally effective in DC. Loebsack is a decent guy but has a terrible legislative record. Fortunate for him, Loebsack could die and be re-elected as a zombie for the next 12 years and still have a more effective record than Steve King.
King is the least effective Congressman amongst his 534 peers and likely Iowa’s worst performer ever. His most recent shenanigans have him booted out of all committee assignments...
https://www.congress.gov/member/steve-king/K000362?s=1&r=1&q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22Steve+king%22%5D%2C%22sponsorship%22%3A%22sponsored%22%7D
View Quote
Give Steve King some credit, at least he is not an automatic yes vote for anti-gun legislation like our other three progressive house representatives....
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top