Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 5:59:19 PM EDT
Board members of KC3 have received pictures of signs that have been placed on all entrances to the buildings of the Louisville Metro Housing Authority(LMHA). You can see one of those signs here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vso7qyg97zdif7/20210606_163458.jpg?dl=0
and here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjghie3ipblrpa7/20210606_163003.jpg?dl=0

Open Record Requests revealed that the signs were just the tip of the iceberg. LMHA demands the "registration' of all firearms possessed by residents of their buildings and that all firearms be kept in a "locked gun cabinet" supplied by the resident and approved by LMHA. Breach of any of these rules can mean loss of the resident's home. LMHA employees are also prohibited from possessing a firearm while on duty.

You can see page 7,  paragraph #27 of the LMHA lease here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w7vrctbr4egrxg/Page%237.pdf?dl=0
You can see pictures of the door signs here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/284bqiefng5dc5y/20210606_163412.jpg?dl=0
You can see their "gun registration" form here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbi9ggn3l0b83ks/gunregistration.pdf?dl=0
Below is a memo written by their "General Council" discribing the authority of LMHA to regulate guns. It is quite a read: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxwi4xctoqtg2eb/LMHAMemo%20Re%20Firearms%20Policy.pdf?dl=0
We have been in touch with the Chairman of the LMHA Board of Commissioners, Manfred Ried, Sr. and the Executive Director of LMHA, Lisa Osanka, about all of these issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Metro has already been corrected numerous times.   Nothing changes.   They wait a while and another violation pops up.

Actually, the same happens across the state.   But, really, why shouldn't these banana republic like dictators carry out these communist attacks?    They are never held accountable.   They are never punished.

These leaders KNOW what they are doing.   This is ALL easily avoided.     These leaders, from managers in organizations, to mayors,  county judge executives, and various types of councils belong in prisons for very long times.   Each of the organizations that breech the gun law rights should be fined tens of millions of dollars.    This is not some little meaningless case of one person (a criminal) accidentally killed.    This is an ongoing systemic violation of THE most basic of all rights, that of self preservation of one's own life, and each situation affects tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people in the state.    

But, what is the state doing about it?   What is the federal government doing about it?   NOTHING!    Frankly, with this level of real social injustice in this nation, I just don't care about much else.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metro has already been corrected numerous times.   Nothing changes.   They wait a while and another violation pops up.

Actually, the same happens across the state.   But, really, why shouldn't these banana republic like dictators carry out these communist attacks?    They are never held accountable.   They are never punished.

These leaders KNOW what they are doing.   This is ALL easily avoided.     These leaders, from managers in organizations, to mayors,  county judge executives, and various types of councils belong in prisons for very long times.   Each of the organizations that breech the gun law rights should be fined tens of millions of dollars.    This is not some little meaningless case of one person (a criminal) accidentally killed.    This is an ongoing systemic violation of THE most basic of all rights, that of self preservation of one's own life, and each situation affects tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people in the state.    

But, what is the state doing about it?   What is the federal government doing about it?   NOTHING!    Frankly, with this level of real social injustice in this nation, I just don't care about much else.
View Quote

Over the years, KC3 has investigated and reversed literally hundreds of these things. 95% of them have been fixed, once we become aware of them. A few remain, unfixed. I am convinced that there are hundreds more that we haven't discovered yet. We fight what we can and when we can't convince them to comply, we go to court but we can't sue everybody. We haven't the funds or the manpower. We pursue the ones where we feel have the best chance for victory. Prior to 2013, the law only covered city and county government. Now it encompasses almost all public entities.
I respect and share your passion on this issue, but I must respectfully disagree with your conclusions. It is my judgment from going through this over and over that it is due to ignorance, arrogance and incompetence of local officials. I would love to have stricter penalties for violations but even more, I would like to have some training of these officials. Newly elected officials must undergo training by the Ky. Dept. of Local Government. There is no mention of Chapter 65 of the KRS in that training. They are taught about records retention, open meetings law, finance law and how to properly write and pass an ordinance, but not one word about the preemption of firearms regulation. Many of them have never heard of the word "preemption". Penalties sound like a great solution, but who would you get to enforce and prosecute them? Another local official? With a local judge? No thanks.

Our current preemption statute, KRS 65.870 was modeled after a Florida statute. Florida was having the same problems that we have, local government ignoring the state preemption law. Their version of the statute called for fines of $50,000 for the city or county that violated the statute and $5,000 fine for the local officials involved. They are not allowed to use public money to defend themselves in court. That sounds great, but in actual practice, it hasn't worked out. The first time those fines were attempted, the courts ruled them invalid and refused to impose them on any local government or official. We wanted to have those penalties written into our law but the General Assembly felt they were too punitive and they said to try our present law for a few years and if they won't comply, come back and we'll fix it. Well, the people that made that promise are long gone and the new ones say, "We fixed that 10 years ago".
It isn't fixed, but in all honesty it is miles better than what we had before. They used to just laugh at us when we called about it. Now most of them try to do their best. Some, a small minority, are snakes in the grass. I can deal with them but it is really hard to deal with the ones that don't understand and can't understand what the law says or what the words mean and the ones that don't want to comply because they are afraid they will be seen as "backing down". It's mostly ignorance, arrogance and incompetence.

Right now, the one single thing I'd like to see is a very simple thing. I'd like to see our Ky Attorney General issue three opinions on existing laws. He has had requests for these opinion for over one year, one of them he got the from the Beshear administration. Andy didn't want to answer the question and ignored it for the last 18 months of his term in that office, now Cameron is ignoring that one and two more that were submitted for me by a State Senator. If we could get a written opinion from the AG on those three things we could turn that 95% that I mentioned earlier into 99%. The issue of gun possession and gun control is controversial. Politicians don't like to take stands on controversial issues. There is no down side to ignoring the issue. Gun owners won't demand that they do so. If gun owners would expend 1% of the effort that the gun grabbers expend there would be no controversy. It would be settled. Gun owners want the government to solve the problem, just like liberals want the government to solve the problem. That solution requires some effort.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:Right now, the one single thing I'd like to see is a very simple thing. I'd like to see our Ky Attorney General issue three opinions on existing laws. He has had requests for these opinion for over one year, one of them he got the from the Beshear administration. Andy didn't want to answer the question and ignored it for the last 18 months of his term in that office, now Cameron is ignoring that one and two more that were submitted for me by a State Senator. If we could get a written opinion from the AG on those three things we could turn that 95% that I mentioned earlier into 99%.
View Quote

What are those 3 laws and the hoped for opinions?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Right now, the one single thing I'd like to see is a very simple thing. I'd like to see our Ky Attorney General issue three opinions on existing laws. He has had requests for these opinion for over one year, one of them he got the from the Beshear administration. Andy didn't want to answer the question and ignored it for the last 18 months of his term in that office, now Cameron is ignoring that one and two more that were submitted for me by a State Senator. If we could get a written opinion from the AG on those three things we could turn that 95% that I mentioned earlier into 99%.

It more about the interpretation of how the laws are applied than the laws themselves. Here is the oldest of them, submitted by Representative Robert Goforth in Feb. of 2019. Several of us walked this down to Andy's office when he was AG:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lyyw1kfaq0qhgs/OAG%20BY%20GOFORTH.pdf?dl=0
Check the date on that. That is when it was delivered. I saw it delivered on that day. So far, 30 months later, nobody wants to answer that question.

I will not post the other two because the legislator that submitted them for me has not given me permission to give out their name, but one of them asks for an opinion on what authority, if any, a Special Purpose Governmental Entity (SPGE) has under KRS 237.115 to prohibit concealed weapons in buildings they own?

The other request for opinion is what authority, if any, is given to an airport board  by KRS 183.8811 to prohibit a law-abiding citizen from possessing a firearm on airport property other than property under federal jurisdiction?

Both of these have been on David Camerons desk since April 1. He has only issued 5 opinions in 2021. One of those opinions was to determine the effective date of legislation passed in this year's session of the General Assembly, so it was to count 90 days from the date of adjourment. After carefully consulting a calendar, the AG's staff has determined that the date is June 29. This is done every year but I want to point out that in reality they have only issued 4 opinions this year. Here is a list of the vital issue that needed to be resolved:
1.Whether under KRS 117.315(2) a candidate for circuit court clerk may designate a challenger to be present at and
  witness the holding of a primary or regular election.
2.Whether, under KRS 45A.380(3), the City of Ashland must competitively bid to procure the services of an engineer
   that would be granted broad authority over the construction phase of the contract pursuant to a specific template
   agreement.
3. Whether the office of Breathitt County magistrate and the position of Beattyville police officer are incompatible.
4. Whether service as a commissioner on the Knott County Water District’s Board of Commissioners is incompatible with
   the service as a county road foreman.
Those 4 opinions plus counting 90 days on a calendar is it for 2021, as far as legal opinions. He issued a total of 20 opinions in 2020 including counting 90 days for that year.

My point is that I don't think they are overworked with this task and adding one or two more opinions would not be a hardship.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE! A picture of the entrance to the LMHA building at 320 So. 8th St. in Louisville taken BEFORE KC3 confronted them about their gun policies can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/284bqiefng5dc5y/20210606_163412.jpg?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR0iYCV4qfdsJ259As6yGK_cIGKHAIi2LcxnkPdqlbevwJNlK8L1NueEqvg
a close up of the sign can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjghie3ipblrpa7/20210606_163003.jpg?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR1wu4TkfibDsRMNO9YnkoWfgr4YMn6ZSBPZTn-m2U2J_64Ww63NYRY9XA0
A picture of the same door taken today, July 24, can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/biiwml5r260sril/20210724_140443.jpg?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2peuOD2YqfP4KwhplVnpMwMtYc7G_rRiNhBdtRF3_auepg3nwBOPg-oy0
The removal of all "No Guns Allowed" signs is underway at LMHA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top