Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2018 4:26:35 PM EDT
The override must happen in the Senate today or tomorrow (which is also IGOLD) as their 15 day limit expires.

Senator Harmon CLAIMS to have the Senate votes meaning he has flipped 6 votes since the bill passed.   The sponsors are coordinating with the House votes to see how strong their position is.   Moms and other groups are hitting it hard with calls.

Word is that the vote could occur around 7 PM tonight!   Today is the time to call your legislators office and tell them NO on an override to the Governors veto.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Senator Nybo R from Elmhurst needs to hear from people.

Brenden Moore Twitter Feed
@brendenmoore13
·
Also hearing state Sen. Chris Nybo, R-Elmhurst, is working on a trailer bill to gun dealer licensing override that would address some concerns with legislation. Could bring along more suburban lawmakers who voted no first time #twill

Todd V post

Tvandermyde, on 24 Apr 2018 - 4:59 PM, said:
here is what we know. They picked up a couple of dems, but the roll call was holding short of 36. Nybo then goes and pulls this stunt becuase he thingks hes smarter than everyone else. And is scared out of his whits that the moms are gonna come after him

They are working suburban repubs trying to find votes becuase they can only get so many dems. Now we are working on their end of the roll call. I can't share all the names, but I get 100 texts messages from our crew about the evolving roll call.

By my count they are still short, but people could be lying to us we'll have to wait and see
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Chris Nybo
about 2 months ago
Thank you to the Suburban Life for covering our ongoing efforts to ban bump stock in Illinois through SB 2247 and 2317. This is not the only gun control measure I support, but it is one the legislature should pass ASAP. There is no reason these deadly devices should remain legal in Illinois or anywhere in our country
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
9:35 PM Senate adjourns until noon tomorrow, the last day for the Senate to override the Governor veto.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9:35 PM Senate adjourns until noon tomorrow, the last day for the Senate to override the Governor veto.
View Quote
The same day as IGOLD.

Come if you can!
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Bolding is mine.

EDIT: Corrected links.   Accidentally linked to HB0337 instead of SB0337.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=0337&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=100277&SessionID=91&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=100

Senate Floor Amendment 2
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=10000SB0337sam002&GA=100&SessionId=91&DocTypeId=SB&LegID=100277&DocNum=337&GAID=14&Session=

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Act. Provides that it is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Provides that a dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership without being licensed as a dealer under the Act. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Board consisting of 5 members appointed by the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation to recommend policies, procedures, and rules relevant to the administration and enforcement of the Act. Provides that the holder of a dealership license issued under the Act may employ in the conduct of his or her business dealership agents. Establishes qualifications for obtaining dealership licenses and for being employed as a dealership agent. Establishes penalties for violations of the Act. Provides for rulemaking, including emergency rulemaking. Amends the Regulatory Sunset Act. Provides that the Act is repealed on January 1, 2028. Amends the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act. Makes conforming changes

Harmon: Victory is protecting Illinoisans, not political win against governor

http://illinoissenatedemocrats.com/sen-harmon-home/6307-harmon-victory-is-protecting-illinoisans-not-political-win-against-governor

Gun dealer licensing to be reintroduced on existing bill; work will continue

SPRINGFIELD  Senator Don Harmon (D-Oak Park) issued the following statement today on his decision not to call a vote to override Gov. Bruce Rauners veto of the Gun Dealer Licensing Act:

Today, I made the difficult decision not to ask the Senate to override Gov. Rauners veto of the gun dealer licensing bill.

While I am confident that I had the votes in the Senate to override the veto, I could not assure my colleagues that the House would vote against the governor, particularly given his vociferous and unreasonable opposition to this measure.

In the past few days, I have had productive conversations with suburban Republican members, in particular Senator Chris Nybo, that make me believe we can create a new path to regulating gun dealers in Illinois.

I have also recently received overtures and encouragement from unexpected and unconventional allies who can better inform our decision making as we move forward towards a successful resolution.

While making this decision, I frequently reminded myself that victory is not overriding Gov. Rauners veto or winning any other political battle in the Capitol. Victory means protecting the people we represent from the senseless violence fueled by the ready availability of guns in our communities.

Today, I am reintroducing the substance of the Gun Dealer Licensing Act as an amendment to an existing bill, Senate Bill 337, and I will begin work immediately on gathering support for the measure.

Licensing gun dealers at the state level is a sensible step to reduce gun violence, and I will not give up. I am sure we will enact this measure  under this administration or the next.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Harmon seems to be as much as admitting that there are reluctant members, w/o him naming names of course, in both the Senate and House, that don't want to potentially put their political careers on the line on, with an override vote on the state licensing issue.
What's scary is that it appears that had they had the votes, and the legislators knew this ahead of time, there would be some who would sell us out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The Governor saved us on this huge piece of crap bill!!!

He was the only thing standing between us and this attrocity!  Yes, they have reintroduced it but, at this point (and subject to change), it should have the same outcome as this one.

I think a good turn out at IGOLD played a roll as well as you good folks getting noisy

It was a very good day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top