Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2020 7:15:30 AM EDT

Help me out here, men. I need some Canadian insights, helps, and direction. I've been to your grand nation not a few times, but this puzzles me:

FACT PATTERN: A person is diagnosed with a "mental disability." Large, small, or even "in-between" mental issue. Usually defined as: "a condition that limits a person's intellectual capacity, resulting directly or indirectly from injury to the brain or from abnormal neurological development."

OK--limited intellectual capacity.

Q: Does a Canadian with "mental disabilities" have the requisite mental faculties (tools) to determine things such as consequences, future needs or desires, or possess rationality?

The reason I ask this is: if a person has mental issues, ("lack of tools"), are they able or competent to determine whether or not they should continue to live? Is it permissible for a Canadian with "mental disabilities" to order that they be allowed to die? How is this rational?

Does a Canadian with a limited intellectual capacity have the inherent right to terminate their life? If not, then exactly "who" has this right and what are the criteria? Who sets up these criteria?

Let me put it this way--back when I was in law enforcement, I had to constantly wonder why I had to give "Miranda Warnings" to people prior to taking them into custody while they were being either drunk, high on drugs. or mentally unstable--if they had not a clue as to what I was saying or what it all meant. See where I'm going?

How does one ask Granny if she wants to "check out" of the hotel of life, if she has not a clue what any of it means?

Canada May Expand Euthanasia and Start Killing People With Mental Disabilities

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:43:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BeNotAfraid:
https://st.depositphotos.com/1080148/4820/i/950/depositphotos_48204939-stock-photo-elderly-woman-at-doctor.jpg

Help me out here, men. I need some Canadian insights, helps, and direction. I've been to your grand nation not a few times, but this puzzles me:

FACT PATTERN: A person is diagnosed with a "mental disability." Large, small, or even "in-between" mental issue. Usually defined as: "a condition that limits a person's intellectual capacity, resulting directly or indirectly from injury to the brain or from abnormal neurological development."

OK--limited intellectual capacity.

Q: Does a Canadian with "mental disabilities" have the requisite mental faculties (tools) to determine things such as consequences, future needs or desires, or possess rationality?

The reason I ask this is: if a person has mental issues, ("lack of tools"), are they able or competent to determine whether or not they should continue to live? Is it permissible for a Canadian with "mental disabilities" to order that they be allowed to die? How is this rational?

Does a Canadian with a limited intellectual capacity have the inherent right to terminate their life? If not, then exactly "who" has this right and what are the criteria? Who sets up these criteria?

Let me put it this way--back when I was in law enforcement, I had to constantly wonder why I had to give "Miranda Warnings" to people prior to taking them into custody while they were being either drunk, high on drugs. or mentally unstable--if they had not a clue as to what I was saying or what it all meant. See where I'm going?

How does one ask Granny if she wants to "check out" of the hotel of life, if she has not a clue what any of it means?

Canada May Expand Euthanasia and Start Killing People With Mental Disabilities

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
View Quote

Miranda rights are not required for arrest, that's straight up TV stuff.  I can't count how many people I arrested for all manner of things that tried to claim the arrest wasn't legal because they weren't mirandized.  The judge quickly explains the difference between the law and what they learned off TV. Miranda is only necessary prior to questioning or taking statements applicable to the crime being charged.  In many arrests there is so much evidence available upon that Miranda just isn't necessary.  I've seen Miranda issued just in case occasionally but I've never heard of it required for anyone being arrested for drugs or alcohol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I know, was referring to the other post.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top