Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 3:33:17 PM EDT
Hey all, it's been over 15 years since I've been there on vacation and I was single back then, now we have a 2 and 5 year old and we will be driving from Columbus straight up on boring 75.

I wanted to ask is it preferred to park at Mack City or St Ignace, plus what ferry to recommend? I assume there's a pick-up from the hotel at the ferry terminal?

The Grand Hotel is just one of our choices to stay in since I've stayed there before, we want somewhere really nice for our kids and the cost isn't a concern, looking about the summer time frame and if your Gov doesn't fuck it further with COVID restrictions.

Thanks and Go Bucks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't stayed at the Grand so not much help there.

It is a shorter ride from St.Ignace and that may be more agreeable if your kids get a bit restless. You can buy ferry tickets online. Either line going to the island will get you there just fine. Look around you may find a discount code after the summer rush. My wife & I went a couple years ago right after Labor Day on a day trip. We took our friends from Kentucky as it was on her bucket list.

As I recall there are carriage rides from the docks to the hotel.

Since we were poors we were not allowed tour inside or walk the front porch of the Grand - guests only.  We were able to enjoy an ice cream shop on the lower level at the east end.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You might as well ride from Mackinaw city.  It is closer and you don't have to pay to cross the bridge although crossing the bridge is an event too.  Make sure to hit the fort...https://www.mackinacparks.com/parks-and-attractions/colonial-michilimackinac/ before or after going over to the island.  I'm pretty sure that you can buy one pass for both forts. Fort Mackinaw on the island.  There is a second fort on the island also.  We never get there. The first 2 forts are all the females in the house can handle.

When you check in for your ferry ride, tell them you are going to the Grand Hotel.  Your luggage will get tagged for the GH and be delivered to your room.  You can catch a horse drawn cab to the GH or walk but with little ones, it can be a hike.  It is uphill.

The GH charges a fee to non guests to go on the front poarch....keeps the poors out.  

Are you taking a dual stroller or a backpack and stroller?

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks all for your advice, we will take a simple umbrella stroller, but will have plenty of luggage for GH - I bet if people self-identify as a gay tranny female they will get access to GH without being a guest

ETA: if we take our own bikes, do we need bike locks and/or pay storage overnight fees?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks all for your advice, we will take a simple umbrella stroller, but will have plenty of luggage for GH - I bet if people self-identify as a gay tranny female they will get access to GH without being a guest

ETA: if we take our own bikes, do we need bike locks and/or pay storage overnight fees?
View Quote
LOL...

I have never take a bike there.  Nice thing about renting is that no one will take or steal your rental bike.  People just leave them all over the place.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
We prefer to stay in st. Ignace and just day trip to mackinac
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We prefer to stay in st. Ignace and just day trip to mackinac
View Quote

You can avoid a royal screwing by doing it this way. Mackinaw should issue KY jelly the second you get off the ferry. They have the removal of you money down to a science.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL...

I have never take a bike there.  Nice thing about renting is that no one will take or steal your rental bike.  People just leave them all over the place.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

How do you tell which bike is yours

Can kids bring their scooters?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

Got me....we never rented and I never figured it out.   When we were younger and took the kids, we walked.  Last time we went, I had a knee injury so we rode carriages when I was too hurt to walk.  

I'm sure the kids can bring their scooters.  Most of the touristy stuff is pretty close together for walking.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You might as well ride from Mackinaw city.  It is closer and you don't have to pay to cross the bridge although crossing the bridge is an event too.  Make sure to hit the fort...https://www.mackinacparks.com/parks-and-attractions/colonial-michilimackinac/ before or after going over to the island.  I'm pretty sure that you can buy one pass for both forts. Fort Mackinaw on the island.  There is a second fort on the island also.  We never get there. The first 2 forts are all the females in the house can handle.

When you check in for your ferry ride, tell them you are going to the Grand Hotel.  Your luggage will get tagged for the GH and be delivered to your room.  You can catch a horse drawn cab to the GH or walk but with little ones, it can be a hike.  It is uphill.

The GH charges a fee to non guests to go on the front poarch....keeps the poors out.  

View Quote

Is the second fort you refer to the one in the center of the island on the hilltop? If so, it's not very big, and it's quite a hike/ride to get up there. I did it in 2018, it was cool, but don't have a need to go back again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as they're plain kick scooters, they're fine. Just no electric scooters or bikes.

My wife and I bring our bikes. We do lock them up, but we also have nicer Trek bikes. There are so many bike around that I've never really worried about them being stolen. The hotel we stayed in (Lake View) had free bike racks for guests, I think the Grand does as well.

Keep in mind the Grand's dress policies for the evenings. You need to have dress clothes on the grounds, and jacket and tie for dinner.

As for getting to the Grand, there is a carriage that goes from the ferry docks to the Grand. It might be a couple bucks per person, or free for guests. I haven't stayed at the Grand for about 18 years. I would take the carriage unless it's a nice day and you feel like a long walk uphill. It's a serious hill, as in I can hit 35 MPH on my bike going down that hill. But don't do that because there is a speed limit for bikes going downhill of 10 MPH and the island police can give you a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is the second fort you refer to the one in the center of the island on the hilltop? If so, it's not very big, and it's quite a hike/ride to get up there. I did it in 2018, it was cool, but don't have a need to go back again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the one.....I've never been to it.  I will go next time but probably have a carriage ride to it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As long as they're plain kick scooters, they're fine. Just no electric scooters or bikes.

My wife and I bring our bikes. We do lock them up, but we also have nicer Trek bikes. There are so many bike around that I've never really worried about them being stolen. The hotel we stayed in (Lake View) had free bike racks for guests, I think the Grand does as well.

Keep in mind the Grand's dress policies for the evenings. You need to have dress clothes on the grounds, and jacket and tie for dinner.

As for getting to the Grand, there is a carriage that goes from the ferry docks to the Grand. It might be a couple bucks per person, or free for guests. I haven't stayed at the Grand for about 18 years. I would take the carriage unless it's a nice day and you feel like a long walk uphill. It's a serious hill, as in I can hit 35 MPH on my bike going down that hill. But don't do that because there is a speed limit for bikes going downhill of 10 MPH and the island police can give you a ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i've gotten aways with a suit jacket only my 2 and 5 year olds will be a challenge to dress nice and not trash their clothes with food stains
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top