Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 5:03:04 PM EDT
My Son and I are planning on going to the Grand Canyon next month for his coming of age trip (he’s 13). We will be flying into Phoenix. Mostly looking for a cool off the beaten path hotel/cabin that’s around $100 a night. Also any other must see things.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Williams has some cheaper hotels. Straight shot North from there to the Canyon. About an hour or so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
There will not be much at or near the Grand Canyon like that, just hotels or lodges.  There are a 4 main lodges at the south rim starting at about $99/night for Maswik(depending on season).. just basic bed/bathroom on up.. all 1/4mi or less from the edge... it goes up to about $600 iirc and a long waiting list if you want to open your door and stare at the canyon(Bucky O'Neill cabin among a few)

There is Tusayan, the "town" just outside the National Park, it has hotels and camp grounds as well, I think there are a vrbo or airbnb trailer or two you can rent.

between Tusayan and Williams as well as part way to Flagstaff is high plains for the most part and not much there.

The best bet for a neat cabin or house will be somewhere in Williams or Flagstaff area which are 1-1.5hrs away from the South Rim.  I personally would look for something around Fort Valley north west of Flag or Williams area.

Ill look around and see if I can find anything else, but its just a unique location that does not have a lot of individual personal places near by.

The campground at the south rim is open in winter... if you have cold weather camping gear.  I dont think it breaks half full in winter even.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Williams. There are some pretty cool old Route 66 motels there that a clean and cheaper. We stayed at The Lodge and it was comfy and within walking distance of everything in Williams. The Grand Canyon railroad is supposed to be neat and will take you up to the canyon for the day. At the Canyon you can use the bus to get around as they are easy to catch and they stop at all the points about every 15 min or so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I will look into this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The Deer Farm and Bearizona are both cool places around Williams!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
From South Rim, go east to Highway 89 and then north to the Page area. Kind of dull drive until you get up to around Bitter Springs then gets to some grand vistas off to the west and north.  Views of distant plateaus, Vermillion Cliffs, Colorado River canyon as it works it's way to the Grand Canyon.  In the Page area is Horseshoe Bend and several slot canyons.  Most well known are Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon.  also Glenn Canyon Dam, bridges over the river, Lake Powell.  A short drive on 89A where it splits off 89 south of Page takes you to the Navajo Bridges and Marble Canyon and the east end of the Vermillion Cliffs.  Should you be staying in the Flagstaff area or just returning from Page or even looping from williams to South Rim, east to 89 and south again, the area between Flagstaff and the intersection with 64 has Wupatki and Sunset Crater Volcano National Monuments.

Easily reached between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, south of Flagstaff is the red rock country of Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.  Take 260 off I17 at Camp Verde to 89A then north that way to Flagstaff.  Montezuma Castle is a nearby cliff dwelling National Monument.  Depending on time and interest, Jerome is nearby, an old mining town.  Check out the various other national and state parks and monuments in the area around Flagstaff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. We are staying in Willams taking the train to the canyon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. We are staying in Willams taking the train to the canyon.
View Quote
SWEEET!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top