Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2018 10:29:52 PM EDT
Was just surfing around and poked in on the VA ABC website and looked to see if it listed everclear. It does but states you need a grain alcohol permit to buy everclear.

Its got me curious if anyone has run into this or applied for the permit?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I have seen since July 1 2017.One can now buy the 151 proof Everclear.But you still can not buy the 190 proof unless you get the permit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
how does one get a permit?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Just a guess...the local state ABC office....the same way you would get a permit for just about anything else ABC related
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
They have the form on their website. You fill it out and mail it in. Surprisingly they aren't asking for money. After approval you can take the paperwork they give you and buy alcohol over 151 proof. But you pretty much have to order it from their website and have it sent to a local ABC to pick it up. Since you can't buy it without a permit none of the stores I saw stock it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Or you can make a Maryland run.......they sell it up there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just make sure you stay within the limit.

They like to take vehicles from anyone caught bootlegging liquor.
IIRC it was a single gallon of pure alcohol equivalent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I buy a case of everclear in WV and drive back to VA, the police can seize my car?  I shoudn't be surprised.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I buy a case of everclear in WV and drive back to VA, the police can seize my car?  I shoudn't be surprised.
View Quote
If you git chased by revenuers, you could make a run for it on the back-roads & try to lose 'em!

(Joking of course).  The entire everclear permitting scheme is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Maryland has banned the sale of 190 proof Everclear, so you'd have to make the run into DC where it's still available.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's OK, I saw this documentary about how to do it right!
Smokey and the Bandit.The legend.Jerry Reed
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Maryland has banned the sale of 190 proof Everclear, so you'd have to make the run into DC where it's still available.
View Quote
Maybe we are getting off topic, but DC supposedly also has its own Costco, and they supposedly even sell liquor.

A friend keeps trying to talk me into making the trek into DC for him so I can buy him some Kirkland vodka.

Just putting it out there.  Frankly I am not in need of either Everclear or Kirkland vodka.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe we are getting off topic, but DC supposedly also has its own Costco, and they supposedly even sell liquor.

A friend keeps trying to talk me into making the trek into DC for him so I can buy him some Kirkland vodka.

Just putting it out there.  Frankly I am not in need of either Everclear or Kirkland vodka.
View Quote
While I also need neither Kirkland vodka or Everclear, the DC Costco does in fact sell liquor similar to other places in the U.S. where the law permits it.  DC's liquor laws are surprisingly less restrictive than those in many Maryland counties (Maryland's laws on liquor distribution are determined at that level) and much better than Virginia's state run joke of a system.  The liquor retail sales tax is higher than Virginia's sales tax which is the only other downside than that you have to go into DC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While I also need neither Kirkland vodka or Everclear, the DC Costco does in fact sell liquor similar to other places in the U.S. where the law permits it.  DC's liquor laws are surprisingly less restrictive than those in many Maryland counties (Maryland's laws on liquor distribution are determined at that level) and much better than Virginia's state run joke of a system.  The liquor retail sales tax is higher than Virginia's sales tax which is the only other downside than that you have to go into DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC Virginia is nailing you for around $8 a 'proof gallon.'

The tax is now just 20%.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IIRC Virginia is nailing you for around $8 a 'proof gallon.'

The tax is now just 20%.
View Quote
I wasn't focused on that aspect, but very true.  Government has to get their cut as many times as possible.

I was just thinking of the differential between the 10% DC liquor tax vs. the northern Virginia sales tax rate of 6%.  The layers of taxes on so many things really does amaze me sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
For many years VSP and ABC agents have made it a habit to troll parking lots
in Georgetown across the river around the winter holidays.

The DC police sometimes chase them off.

They are looking for the Holiday Party Crowd violating the liquor laws
and bringing cases of booze into Virginia from DC.

It appears to have gone down somewhat lately, but for a while in the 1980s is was a
big effort.
Eagle Wine and Liquor was just two blocks from the Key Bridge on the DC side and was a pretty big store.
It was sold in1998 or so and IIRC never reopened.

I have not shopped for booze in DC in many years now.
Calvert/Woodley used to be another bargain DC store.

They used to run an ad in the Washington Post Sports Section almost every weekend.
Sometimes it would be in the Metro Section back pages.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks, I been meaning to restock on 190 for awhile!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long ago when ABC still sold it, my father would purchase it when I needed some to clean quartz halogen stage lighting bulbs,

A long time ago (late 1970s) those things cost a couple hundred each for the larger ones.

Touch that quartz envelope with a finger, then install, and turn it on.
They explode in about 10 to 20 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top