Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Has Tom King weighed in on this yet or has he been too busy gargling Wayne LaPierre’s balls?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Hate to say it but I stopped caring in 2013 after the SAFE Act passed. It is all just noise now. Maybe we will have an avenue to challenge if SCOTUS is in the mood.

Regardless, it will pass in days and take years to challenge. I'll be out of this state by then.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate to say it but I stopped caring in 2013 after the SAFE Act passed. It is all just noise now. Maybe we will have an avenue to challenge if SCOTUS is in the mood.

Regardless, it will pass in days and take years to challenge. I'll be out of this state by then.
View Quote

I agree 100%

There’s a time to fight and a time to cut losses. We are not going to win anything here.

Even if the supremes deem our permit system unconstitutional, NY will just respond in kind with 20 new requirements on us knowing full well that it will take 50 more years to settle it out.

It’s “their” sandbox boys and we’re not welcome.

Hochul:

Hochul, speaking before the details of the bill were announced, said she won’t let that ruling deter her.

“I’m not going to let my fear of losing a court case to stop me from what I think is correct for New Yorkers and what will protect them,” Hochul said on May 25. “You may get a judge who actually cares and has common sense, who would understand that these are not punitive measures.”
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Think that about covers it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah time to move. This state is totally fucked.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
How can they ban "body armor"? They are taking away protection from victims. WTF?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How can they ban "body armor"? They are taking away protection from victims. WTF?
View Quote

Well, yeah.

They are taking away the only guns suitable for self defense, so I don't think they really care about the victims of criminals.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Shockwaves are done
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Moving is your only option to enjoy the rest of your life in partial freedom.

How can you fight to get rights in NY?  You can't  win.  You can only stay and take a beating.

Move - its worth it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Moving is your only option to enjoy the rest of your life in partial freedom.

How can you fight to get rights in NY?  You can't  win.  You can only stay and take a beating.

Move - its worth it.

View Quote
Hate to say I agree 200%. With the state openly admitting they will go to whatever extremes it takes to ignore a negative SCOTUS ruling, it is apparent that not even the courts will be able to corral an out of control legislature. Even if future cases go against them, saying they do not care and will ignore those rulings pretty much spells out that we are closer to an authoritarian government than ever. DOJ is not going to step in and enforce SCOTUS rulings it disagrees with.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hate to say it but I stopped caring in 2013 after the SAFE Act passed. It is all just noise now.  
View Quote

Agreed.  I've done all the "Complying with law" I ever intend to do.  They can pass whatever law they want now, IDGAF.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Every bill has passed pretty much. We are done.

Microstamping means no new handguns in a few years.

License to own a semi auto rifle...that basically ends all sales of every gun suitable for self defense.

Banning "others" with no grandfathering or compensation...how is that even legal? What does everyone do with the guns they bought when they were legal?

Fuck you NY politicians.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like class E felony if you give away or sell a semi auto rifle to anyone, including your wife, that doesn’t have a license. So lumpednin with a rapist, a kidnapper, criminally negligent killer, child beater, and so on.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every bill has passed pretty much. We are done.

License to own a semi auto rifle...that basically ends all sales of every gun suitable for self defense.

Banning "others" with no grandfathering or compensation...how is that even legal? What does everyone do with the guns they bought when they were legal?

Fuck you NY politicians.

View Quote

I didn't think anyone would top Cuomo ramming through the Safe Act but yet here we are, god damn.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have a link to the actual legal text of all these new laws?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a link to the actual legal text of all these new laws?
View Quote

at the top of nyrkba posts on each one

or go to the link in this op
find the number of each
google ny law axxxxx
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]
when do we find out effective dates?
if there isn't one listed does that mean effective at signing?

can they actually pretend they'll be able to start taking sa rifle license apps on the first day?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

at the top of nyrkba posts on each one

or go to the link in this op
find the number of each
google ny law axxxxx
View Quote

Thanks.  
These are all a done deal or still pending legislation?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Once again, passing unconstitutional "laws" in the middle of the night, without any public input. Most people don't even know this happened. How "democratic".
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just ends sales in New York. There are many states where buying a gun is still legal and want our money. New York doesn't.

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The entire package passed the assembly and senate.

I believe without a single modification like rimfire exemption or grandfathering or compensation
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#22]
But we don’t live in other states. We live in NY.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Has NYSRPA filed a lawsuit yet or at least prepared to?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Moving in 2014 was best thing I ever did.

Waiting for judges to overturn is a stupid waste of time. Ain’t going to happen.

Get the fuck out of the hellhole and stop making excuses why you won’t move.

Life is short, and life is better in 43 other states in this country.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has NYSRPA filed a lawsuit yet or at least prepared to?
View Quote
Unless the (eventual) NYSRPA v Bruen ruling is a slam dunk for Strict Scrutiny, I would not waste the money. We saw what years of litigation against the SAFE Act lead to. "Break" became synonymous with "Brake" and a seven round limit was declared unconstitutional (though rumors abound that people still get jammed up in certain jurisdictions). Otherwise it survived intact but the legal fees were still due.

Funny thing is this all does not phase me as much as the SAFE Act did. I hit 60 shortly and realize time is no longer on my side. Plus, with the reality of having to retire because IT is dead to people my age, leaving is now on the RADAR.

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder who is going to pay for these new rifle licenses. Pistol permit folks are already overloaded. Takes months to get a permit, takes weeks for an amendment. Who is going to handle the new volume? Counties will need to hire lots of new staff.

I have a feeling this might go the way of ammo background checks and Russian warships.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder who is going to pay for these new rifle licenses. Pistol permit folks are already overloaded. Takes months to get a permit, takes weeks for an amendment. Who is going to handle the new volume? Counties will need to hire lots of new staff.

I have a feeling this might go the way of ammo background checks
View Quote

I agree with you, and I'm a huge pessimist.  

Either way, I also agree with the poster above who said he is less phased by this than the Safe act.  I was pretty upset about that when it happened, but I learned to live with being an outlaw.  Now I'm just numb to all of this.

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a feeling this might go the way of ammo background checks and Russian warships.
View Quote
Call me a pessimist. The COVID lockdown showed us that it is perfectly okay to require a license and then stop issuing said licenses for whatever excuse they want. The courts seemed to turn a blind eye to the practice.

So New York will require a license but say it will take two, three, four or whatever years to get it. Unlike the stupid ammo check, it does not require participation of a federal agency to do something it was not intended to do.

Again, the only real hope at all is a forceful smackdown by SCOTUS in the NYSRPA v Bruen case. That would at least offer a glimmer of hope. And if New York decides to ignore any rulings, we have to wait until a friendlier DOJ is around to smack New York around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Either way, I also agree with the poster above who said he is less phased by this than the Safe act.  I was pretty upset about that when it happened, but I learned to live with being an outlaw.  Now I'm just numb to all of this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a feeling this might go the way of ammo background checks

Also agree.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Follow this link to the list with links to each bill for text, vote sheets, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top