Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2021 10:37:35 AM EDT
Interesting debate last night. Murphy's lead is down to 13%. Maybe NJ Voters will finally wake up this November!!

Tempers flare as Murphy, Ciattarelli face off

By MATT FRIEDMAN

09/28/2021 09:27 PM EDT
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

NEWARK — Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy and Republican challenger Jack Ciattarelli argued over Covid-19 policy, policing, taxes, abortion, guns, immigration and LGBTQ rights, among other issues, during a lively televised debate on Tuesday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

It’s the first time the two have gone head-to-head since Ciattarelli kicked off his campaign to challenge the governor nearly two years ago — and it featured several heated exchanges and an impassioned audience that cheered and booed the candidates, both of whom made news with policy positions they had not announced before.

Murphy characterized Ciattarelli’s stances as “extremism” and tied him to former President Donald Trump, of whom Ciattarelli was critical in 2016 but eventually came to support.

“If those of you at home are playing a drinking game where they have to take a shot every time he says ‘Trump,’ I suggest they stop, because they’re going to be bombed real soon,” Ciattarelli said.

Ciattarelli, a former three-term assemblymember, blamed Murphy for the more than 8,000 nursing home deaths during the early part of the pandemic. It was exacerbated, he said, by the Murphy administration’s directive that nursing homes readmit Covid-positive residents.

The debate was particularly heated for a race that has attracted little attention outside New Jersey. A Monmouth University poll released last week showed Murphy with a 13-point lead.

One of the most passionate exchanges came as the two men discussed protests they attended attended: Murphy at “Black Lives Matter” rallies in the aftermath of George Floyd’s killing by a Minneapolis police officer, and Ciattarelli’s speaking role at a “Stop the Steal” rally after the 2020 presidential election.

“I didn’t see any of those signs,” Ciattarelli said, referring to “Stop the Steal” placards at the rally and an attendee holding a Confederate flag.”If they were there, I don’t think I should be held responsible. I never held the governor responsible for attending rallies where people held signs that said ‘defund the police’ or ‘no justice, no peace.'"

“When did ‘No justice, no peace’ become controversial,” Murphy shot back. “This rises to the level of disqualifying. Come on, man. Your picture and name were on the invitation [to the rally]."

Ciattarelli shot back by using a quote by Murphy that he often brings up. “If you want to talk about disqualifiers: ‘If taxes are your issue, we’re probably not your state,'" Ciattarelli said, referring to a Murphy comment in which he was making a point that the state’s taxes may be high but that it provides good services.

“People died, assemblyman,” Murphy said, referring to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

“You mean like the people in the nursing homes or Tropical Storm Ida?” Ciattarelli responded.

The state’s heavy flooding and damage from Ida came up in the first question the candidates fielded. Murphy declared a state of emergency at about 9 p.m. as the storm pummeled New Jersey, and publicized it about an hour later — though he said that he warned residents about the dangerous storm for the entire day. But while the state of emergency is a largely bureaucratic procedure aimed at securing monetary aid, Ciattarelli has argued that it would have emphasized the danger and kept people off the roads, where many died in their cars.

“If ever we needed a ‘get the hell off the beach' this was it,” Ciattarelli said, referring to former Gov. Chris Christie’s famous quote as Hurricane Irene bore down on the state in 2011.

Murphy emphasized climate change, noting that Ciattarelli criticized his Energy Master Plan policies on increasing renewable energy

“I would say a big contrast is what we’re going to do about the environment to hopefully prevent this from happening again. My opponent says we’re doing too much, too soon. I see that differently,” Murphy said.

Ciattarelli said that Murphy bears responsibility for the state’s high rate of nursing home deaths, which account for roughly a third of all Covid-19 deaths in New Jersey, which he said happened “because of decisions made by this governor.”

Murphy said the homes were required to segregate the Covid-positive residents and called the deaths “tragic.” But he demurred when asked if he would reevaluate his administration’s Covid response and do anything differently.

Instead, Murphy targeted Ciattarelli, saying the state didn’t have a “playbook” early in the pandemic, but now it does — vaccination and mask mandates. He noted that Ciattarelli has opposed mandating vaccinations, has said children are not vulnerable to the disease and opposes vaccination mandates.

“The assemblyman and a bunch of governors in the deep South are choosing to throw that playbook out the window and it’s costing lives,” Murphy said.

Ciattarelli said that children are less vulnerable but acknowledged some have gotten ill. “If I had the chance to say it again, I’d say it differently and more perfect,’ he said.

Murphy equated Ciattarelli’s position on abortion with efforts in more conservative states in the South that have enacted laws that restrict all but the earliest abortions, noting that while in the Assembly he repeatedly voted against Democratic efforts to restore funds that Christie cut to Planned Parenthood clinics.

Ciattarelli shot back that Murphy’s position is extreme because he backs the Reproductive Freedom Act, a bill that he said would “would allow abortion in months seven, eight, nine.” (New Jersey does not have restrictions on late-term abortions, as the state Supreme Court in 2000 overturned a ban on it.)

Ciattarelli, who tacked right during the Republican primary and puzzled some observers by continuing to hit on conservative themes after winning it, for the first time said that he supports a law Murphy signed that allows undocumented immigrants to apply for driver’s licenses.

“With regard to undocumented immigrants getting a license, I believe that's a great security measure,” said Ciattarelli, who had previously criticized the law as allowing “those here illegally to go to the front of the line.”

Murphy, who has raised several taxes as governor — including on the state’s wealthiest residents — said, “I pledge to not raise taxes.”

Murphy insisted that he was “not making news” with the statement, but acknowledged after the debate that he may not have pledged it before.

Ciattrelli said that Murphy had disempowered police after signing a law that barred them from being able to search teens suspected of possessing alcohol or cannabis. Murphy shot back that he had the support of two police unions — representing state troopers and Port Authority cops. The state’s two major police unions, which endorsed Murphy four years ago, have stayed neutral in the race.

“Maybe you should answer the question as to why the [Fraternal Order of Police] didn’t endorse you?” Ciattarelli said.

“My friend, why do you have no endorsements from law enforcement. Why don’t we start with that? You claim to be Mr. Law and Order,” Murphy responded.

Ciattarelli stuck to his message despite Murphy’s attacks on him for wanting to allow more people in some potentially dangerous professions to qualify for concealed carry — something virtually impossible for most New Jerseyans.

“In fact, he said for certain professions like that really dangerous one, realtors,” Murphy said, mockingly.

“Talk to female realtors that have open houses,” Ciattarelli said.

The two also argued over the teaching of systemic racism, which is often equated at school board meetings with the academic “Critical Race Theory,” and a state law that mandates children learn about the contributions of LGBTQ people.

“There is systemic racism, but I don’t believe we should be teaching our children that white people are perpetuating systemic racism,” Ciattraelli said.

On the LGBTQ curriculum requirements, Ciattarelli said that schools should ”not be teaching … gender identity to kindergartners” and that it should be left to “the kitchen table.”

“A lot going on at your kitchen table,” Murphy said.

“Isn’t that the job of the parent? You want to replace the parent."

The two candidates will have their second and final debate on Oct. 12 at Rowan University in Glassboro.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Why do I have 2 Daddys?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting debate last night. Murphy's lead is down to 13%. Maybe NJ Voters will finally wake up this November!!

Tempers flare as Murphy, Ciattarelli face off

By MATT FRIEDMAN

09/28/2021 09:27 PM EDT
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

NEWARK  Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy and Republican challenger Jack Ciattarelli argued over Covid-19 policy, policing, taxes, abortion, guns, immigration and LGBTQ rights, among other issues, during a lively televised debate on Tuesday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

It's the first time the two have gone head-to-head since Ciattarelli kicked off his campaign to challenge the governor nearly two years ago  and it featured several heated exchanges and an impassioned audience that cheered and booed the candidates, both of whom made news with policy positions they had not announced before.

Murphy characterized Ciattarelli's stances as "extremism" and tied him to former President Donald Trump, of whom Ciattarelli was critical in 2016 but eventually came to support.

"If those of you at home are playing a drinking game where they have to take a shot every time he says 'Trump,' I suggest they stop, because they're going to be bombed real soon," Ciattarelli said.

Ciattarelli, a former three-term assemblymember, blamed Murphy for the more than 8,000 nursing home deaths during the early part of the pandemic. It was exacerbated, he said, by the Murphy administration's directive that nursing homes readmit Covid-positive residents.

The debate was particularly heated for a race that has attracted little attention outside New Jersey. A Monmouth University poll released last week showed Murphy with a 13-point lead.

One of the most passionate exchanges came as the two men discussed protests they attended attended: Murphy at "Black Lives Matter" rallies in the aftermath of George Floyd's killing by a Minneapolis police officer, and Ciattarelli's speaking role at a "Stop the Steal" rally after the 2020 presidential election.

"I didn't see any of those signs," Ciattarelli said, referring to "Stop the Steal" placards at the rally and an attendee holding a Confederate flag."If they were there, I don't think I should be held responsible. I never held the governor responsible for attending rallies where people held signs that said 'defund the police' or 'no justice, no peace.'"

"When did 'No justice, no peace' become controversial," Murphy shot back. "This rises to the level of disqualifying. Come on, man. Your picture and name were on the invitation [to the rally]."

Ciattarelli shot back by using a quote by Murphy that he often brings up. "If you want to talk about disqualifiers: 'If taxes are your issue, we're probably not your state,'" Ciattarelli said, referring to a Murphy comment in which he was making a point that the state's taxes may be high but that it provides good services.

"People died, assemblyman," Murphy said, referring to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

"You mean like the people in the nursing homes or Tropical Storm Ida?" Ciattarelli responded.

The state's heavy flooding and damage from Ida came up in the first question the candidates fielded. Murphy declared a state of emergency at about 9 p.m. as the storm pummeled New Jersey, and publicized it about an hour later  though he said that he warned residents about the dangerous storm for the entire day. But while the state of emergency is a largely bureaucratic procedure aimed at securing monetary aid, Ciattarelli has argued that it would have emphasized the danger and kept people off the roads, where many died in their cars.

"If ever we needed a 'get the hell off the beach' this was it," Ciattarelli said, referring to former Gov. Chris Christie's famous quote as Hurricane Irene bore down on the state in 2011.

Murphy emphasized climate change, noting that Ciattarelli criticized his Energy Master Plan policies on increasing renewable energy

"I would say a big contrast is what we're going to do about the environment to hopefully prevent this from happening again. My opponent says we're doing too much, too soon. I see that differently," Murphy said.

Ciattarelli said that Murphy bears responsibility for the state's high rate of nursing home deaths, which account for roughly a third of all Covid-19 deaths in New Jersey, which he said happened "because of decisions made by this governor."

Murphy said the homes were required to segregate the Covid-positive residents and called the deaths "tragic." But he demurred when asked if he would reevaluate his administration's Covid response and do anything differently.

Instead, Murphy targeted Ciattarelli, saying the state didn't have a "playbook" early in the pandemic, but now it does  vaccination and mask mandates. He noted that Ciattarelli has opposed mandating vaccinations, has said children are not vulnerable to the disease and opposes vaccination mandates.

"The assemblyman and a bunch of governors in the deep South are choosing to throw that playbook out the window and it's costing lives," Murphy said.

Ciattarelli said that children are less vulnerable but acknowledged some have gotten ill. "If I had the chance to say it again, I'd say it differently and more perfect,' he said.

Murphy equated Ciattarelli's position on abortion with efforts in more conservative states in the South that have enacted laws that restrict all but the earliest abortions, noting that while in the Assembly he repeatedly voted against Democratic efforts to restore funds that Christie cut to Planned Parenthood clinics.

Ciattarelli shot back that Murphy's position is extreme because he backs the Reproductive Freedom Act, a bill that he said would "would allow abortion in months seven, eight, nine." (New Jersey does not have restrictions on late-term abortions, as the state Supreme Court in 2000 overturned a ban on it.)

Ciattarelli, who tacked right during the Republican primary and puzzled some observers by continuing to hit on conservative themes after winning it, for the first time said that he supports a law Murphy signed that allows undocumented immigrants to apply for driver's licenses.

"With regard to undocumented immigrants getting a license, I believe that's a great security measure," said Ciattarelli, who had previously criticized the law as allowing "those here illegally to go to the front of the line."

Murphy, who has raised several taxes as governor  including on the state's wealthiest residents  said, "I pledge to not raise taxes."

Murphy insisted that he was "not making news" with the statement, but acknowledged after the debate that he may not have pledged it before.

Ciattrelli said that Murphy had disempowered police after signing a law that barred them from being able to search teens suspected of possessing alcohol or cannabis. Murphy shot back that he had the support of two police unions  representing state troopers and Port Authority cops. The state's two major police unions, which endorsed Murphy four years ago, have stayed neutral in the race.

"Maybe you should answer the question as to why the [Fraternal Order of Police] didn't endorse you?" Ciattarelli said.

"My friend, why do you have no endorsements from law enforcement. Why don't we start with that? You claim to be Mr. Law and Order," Murphy responded.

Ciattarelli stuck to his message despite Murphy's attacks on him for wanting to allow more people in some potentially dangerous professions to qualify for concealed carry  something virtually impossible for most New Jerseyans.

"In fact, he said for certain professions like that really dangerous one, realtors," Murphy said, mockingly.

"Talk to female realtors that have open houses," Ciattarelli said.

The two also argued over the teaching of systemic racism, which is often equated at school board meetings with the academic "Critical Race Theory," and a state law that mandates children learn about the contributions of LGBTQ people.

"There is systemic racism, but I don't believe we should be teaching our children that white people are perpetuating systemic racism," Ciattraelli said.

On the LGBTQ curriculum requirements, Ciattarelli said that schools should "not be teaching  gender identity to kindergartners" and that it should be left to "the kitchen table."

"A lot going on at your kitchen table," Murphy said.

"Isn't that the job of the parent? You want to replace the parent."

The two candidates will have their second and final debate on Oct. 12 at Rowan University in Glassboro.

"Why do I have 2 Daddys?"

Twin brothers from different mothers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top