Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2019 5:04:16 PM EDT
DSI out of NY has a 12.5” AR with a brace thats now legal in NJ and considered a “firearm” and not an NFA item. NJSP Approved and comes with a letter from them. Savage Cerakote in Spotswood NJ is taking orders on them.

Edit: also Troy industries is releasing one as wel
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Any idea on pricing?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
DSI out of NY has a 12.5” AR with a brace thats now legal in NJ and considered a “firearm” and not an NFA item. NJSP Approved and comes with a letter from them. Savage Cerakote in Spotswood NJ is taking orders on them.

Edit: also Troy industries is releasing one as wel
View Quote

Dark Storm Industries.Attachment Attached File

DSI VARIANT ONE NON NFA FIREARM 5.56
#dsi-var1-fa5-blk
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a link. Looks pretty cool. MSRP is $1,195.
https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/ds-15/ds-15-typhoon-rifles/dark-storm-ds-15-non-nfa-firearm-typhoon-5.56-black/
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm so a stripped lower is transferred as an other, what would be put on a NJ coe for this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmmm so a stripped lower is transferred as an other, what would be put on a NJ coe for this?
View Quote
Receiver Only.

I'd like to see the letter from the NJSP FIU or NJAG first.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Im not sure how it would work for stripped lowers.

But the DSI is $1200 and the Troy is around the same. Im willing to bet a few other companies will jump on the bandwagon soon
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
More choices for the NJ folks.  A positive note.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
dont see where this would be legal with the weight restrictions on pistols or the barrel shroud
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Not considered a pistol. Manufactured as an “other firearm”. Has to have the forward grip to remain an other firearm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
interesting...so no pistol permit then.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
FPID and COE required if the same treatment as the shockwaves.

Oh, and no AW Ban compliance, which only addresses riles, shotguns and handguns.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just build your own.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Dupe. I brought this up a couple months ago and was shit on for it...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Other-AR15-in-NJ/50-633436/
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just build your own.
View Quote
Yep. I just priced out a cheap one on PSA and it came to $600 for everything. The flood gates are about to open
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I need this!! Smooth bore how it’s deemed firearm?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need this!! Smooth bore how it’s deemed firearm?
View Quote
Ha this is a fully rifled barrel.

Not a pistol since it's not designed to be fired with one hand due to the vertical foregrip... And not a rifle because it's not meant to be shouldered due to the brace.

so it's not a pistol not a rifle therefore not covered under any laws
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ha this is a fully rifled barrel.

Not a pistol since it's not designed to be fired with one hand due to the vertical foregrip... And not a rifle because it's not meant to be shouldered due to the brace.

so it's not a pistol not a rifle therefore not covered under any laws
View Quote
Nice! All the better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dupe. I brought this up a couple months ago and was shit on for it...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Other-AR15-in-NJ/50-633436/
View Quote
I started to, but saw the light.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]
so confused......
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Me too...
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#21]
It's pretty simple actually:

Two grips = not "designed to be fired by the use of a single hand" = not a handgun
Brace = not "designed to be fired from the shoulder" = not a rifle
Over 26" OAL = not "capable of being concealed on the person" = not an AOW

ETA: Nothing in NJ law actually prohibits owning an AOW. By this same logic if someone was to sell one of these with say a 7.5" barrel that would be under 26" OAL and an AOW requiring a $5 NFA stamp to transfer, but it should still be legal in NJ being that it isn't "made from a rifle or a shotgun."
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's pretty simple actually:

Two grips = not "designed to be fired by the use of a single hand" = not a handgun
Brace = not "designed to be fired from the shoulder" = not a rifle
Over 26" OAL = not "capable of being concealed on the person" = not an AOW

ETA: Nothing in NJ law actually prohibits owning an AOW. By this same logic if someone was to sell one of these with say a 7.5" barrel that would be under 26" OAL and an AOW requiring a $5 NFA stamp to transfer, but it should still be legal in NJ being that it isn't "made from a rifle or a shotgun."
View Quote
So, all I have to do is declare the AR10 and AR15 lowers that are coming in next week to my FFL as "other firearms" and I am good to build anything as long as it is over 26" with vfg and brace?

Sign me the f*ck up!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, all I have to do is declare the AR10 and AR15 lowers that are coming in next week to my FFL as "other firearms" and I am good to build anything as long as it is over 26" with vfg and brace?

Sign me the f*ck up!
View Quote
Correct.

But a stripped lower is by default transferred to you as an "other" anyway...it can't be transferred as a rifle or pistol.

So all those stripped lowers you've bought the past 10 years...you never built those into rifles right? So those can be made into these "other" guns too...Actually I am not sure...even if you did make them into rifles, they probably can be made into "others" still...But check on that. Either way you are good to go.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Correct.

But a stripped lower is by default transferred to you as an "other" anyway...it can't be transferred as a rifle or pistol.

So all those stripped lowers you've bought the past 10 years...you never built those into rifles right? So those can be made into these "other" guns too...Actually I am not sure...even if you did make them into rifles, they probably can be made into "others" still...But check on that. Either way you are good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me the f*ck up!
Correct.

I think on the safer side of things I would prefer to use lower purchased and transferred after the date of the letter sent to Troy from the NJSP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
throw Modern Materials into the hat also.

MODMAT-SBF
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think on the safer side of things I would prefer to use lower purchased and transferred after the date of the letter sent to Troy from the NJSP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me the f*ck up!
Correct.

To each his own.. kinda silly if you ask me. It's not like the letter suddenly legalized these others...if they are legal, they were legal before and after the letter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To each his own.. kinda silly if you ask me. It's not like the letter suddenly legalized these others...if they are legal, they were legal before and after the letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me the f*ck up!
Correct.

It called good faith and I think it would have some merit in any possible court proceedings.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It called good faith and I think it would have some merit in any possible court proceedings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me the f*ck up!
Correct.

No I get that...but you could just argue you built it into an other after you read the letter.

All good though. Glad this is an option for all of us behind enemy lines. Now if you guys can just get concealed carry in NJ!
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Guys lets not forget PK Firearms (I think its been long enough) the SP issued a letter saying the M1 carbines he was selling were " GTG" and again lets not forget... HE HAD TO GET THEM ALL BACK BECAUSE THE SP CHANGED THEIR MINDS!
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Guys lets not forget PK Firearms (I think its been long enough) the SP issued a letter saying the M1 carbines he was selling were " GTG" and again lets not forget... HE HAD TO GET THEM ALL BACK BECAUSE THE SP CHANGED THEIR MINDS!
View Quote
Pretty sure the NJSP would have a hell of a time getting all these new "other firearms" back as most of them will be assembled by their owner.

However, you are dead on about the SP changing their mind.............it's tough when you share a brain.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the NJSP would have a hell of a time getting all these new "other firearms" back as most of them will be assembled by their owner.

However, you are dead on about the SP changing their mind.............it's tough when you share a brain.
View Quote
I think the best alternative is to build one . What is this item's legality in  " Free America" ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think the best alternative is to build one . What is this item's legality in  " Free America" ?
View Quote
They're perfectly legal here in PA, out here it's even legal to remove the grip which makes it a handgun rather than the "firearm" configuration it must be in for NJ. Since the barrel length is under 15" it's even legal to carry concealed as well
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They're perfectly legal here in PA, out here it's even legal to remove the grip which makes it a handgun rather than the "firearm" configuration it must be in for NJ. Since the barrel length is under 15" it's even legal to carry concealed as well
View Quote
Thank you and good to know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I have question about these "other" firearms. If one is to shoulder this "other" firearm how does the brace compare to that of a regular stock ? And how much shorter is the overall ength of this compared to the shortest AR15 rifle one could normally have in New Jersey ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here is a link. Looks pretty cool. MSRP is $1,195.
https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/ds-15/ds-15-typhoon-rifles/dark-storm-ds-15-non-nfa-firearm-typhoon-5.56-black/
View Quote
Anyone have this model? I’m about to order one, wanted to see how it functioned , any FTF, FTE, etc...
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#36]
My question is, would there be an issues swapping the upper out on one of these granted its still legal length. I dont see why not
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My question is, would there be an issues swapping the upper out on one of these granted its still legal length. I dont see why not
View Quote
I have thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is something for you.

PSA is a paid sponsor on this Site.

Possibility
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Receiver Only.

I'd like to see the letter from the NJSP FIU or NJAG first.
View Quote
I have both letters. Don’t have the ability to attach here tho.  Very specific terminology, I’m not a lawyer or wordsmith but, I’d be real careful building one.. just say’in
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have both letters. Don’t have the ability to attach here tho.  Very specific terminology, I’m not a lawyer or wordsmith but, I’d be real careful building one.. just say’in
View Quote
That post was ages ago. I am now well versed in this issue. Thank you anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I know dealers are just trying to get you to buy their shit but most of them say you cant modify it and cant build one yourself and has to come from the factory. But as stated above, a stripped lower is transferred as an Other, so...
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know dealers are just trying to get you to buy their shit but most of them say you cant modify it and cant build one yourself and has to come from the factory. But as stated above, a stripped lower is transferred as an Other, so...
View Quote
Which make no sense as if change out the forward grip, you have not changed the firearm.  Same thing with the pistol grip or brace.  How do you declare the sum of the parts as being the restricted part?  You can not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I would like to build one of these.  Can someone please let me know for sure if i can use one of the two lowers i have to build one of these on?

I really dont like either the troy or modern material other weapons configuration.  I want one but im not clear on whats legal and whats not.

Thanks.
Jeff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would like to build one of these.  Can someone please let me know for sure if i can use one of the two lowers i have to build one of these on?

I really dont like either the troy or modern material other weapons configuration.  I want one but im not clear on whats legal and whats not.

Thanks.
Jeff.
View Quote
Just build one. There's no law saying you cannot, despite any recommendations floating around out there. If the lowers you have are stripped lowers, were never assembled into a rifle configuration with a stock, were transferred to you as an "other" (they should have been if your FFL did it right), and you follow the specs of the State Police approved versions, you'll be fine. Keep everything >26" from end of buffer tube to end of barrel threads and use a pistol brace + obligatory vertical grip out front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top