Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2021 5:49:34 PM EDT
Im building a spare motor (350 to 383) for my boat and ufortunately havent established any relationships with machine shops in the area since moving from PA 7 years ago. Im good friends with Andy Jensen and he was doing all my machine work in PA for 20+ years. Im hoping to find someone between Buford and Dawsonville that can bore/hone a chevy smallblock for me...press apart rods/pistons, reassemble them correctly, balance the rotating assy, etc...

Any suggestions ?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think engine building has changed a bunch and most guys are buying engines and the ones building are doing some of the work themselves and buying new parts like heads instead of having them overhauled.

The shop I used years ago is no longer they were in canton. I’d probably try calling a classic car place and ask who does their machine work. Anytime you bring up boats people start acting weird ;)

Found this on google

https://www.google.com/search?q=engine+machine+shop&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS742US749&oq=engine+machine+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i457i512j0i402j69i60l3.4122j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#lpg=ik:!1e10!2sAF1QipPtbMuwQqNb40ViF0UOsQNrm7TwWE69xsbDctSM&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:rln,rc_ludocids:2948726488596780283,ru_gwp:0%252C7,ru_lqi:ChNlbmdpbmUgbWFjaGluZSBzaG9wMSlOAQAAAAAASMeY6sblgICACFohEAAQARACGAAYARgCIhNlbmdpbmUgbWFjaGluZSBzaG9wkgEQYXV0b19yZXBhaXJfc2hvcJoBJENoZERTVWhOTUc5blMwVkpRMEZuU1VSNU1scHFkWEpSUlJBQqoBGxABKhciE2VuZ2luZSBtYWNoaW5lIHNob3AoAA,trex_id:juh60e
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I had that same boat many years ago!  Same colors as well.

I loved that thing.  Merc Marine 350.  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to hijack the thread.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Grimes Automotive Machine in Alpharetta is excellent.  I've only had them do some minor-ish work, but many I know have been extremely pleased with major projects they've had done there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Bruce Performance in jasper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had that same boat many years ago!  Same colors as well.

I loved that thing.  Merc Marine 350.  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to hijack the thread.  
View Quote

Its an awesome boat for its age. (1997)
Had a few maintenance issues after buying a few months ago but nothing major. Added some chrome and fixed the leaking manifold risers.
Boat/engine has 500hrs on it so i wanted to have a little more horsepower waiting in the garage.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Grimes Automotive Machine in Alpharetta is excellent.  I've only had them do some minor-ish work, but many I know have been extremely pleased with major projects they've had done there.
View Quote

I understand Vengeance Racing uses them as well.

Maybe Ill give them a try.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dropped the block, rods and pistons off with Gary on Friday. They will bore & hone the block and R&R pistons on to my rods.
He said he had 17 engines waiting to go on the dyno. Hes so bogged down with work he is turning away complete motor jobs.
I was lucky i only had minor work to do. Even then... he said it will probably be Feb until he can get to it.
Im glad i dropped it off when i did.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
It's great to hear they're so busy!

I'm looking forward to seeing when yours is complete.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a little late to the party, but I have had good luck with Will's Machine Shop next door to PDK in the past.  I'm getting ready to send my Triumph block, head, and crank over soon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying out a shop in Rome that came highly recommended. He's doing the head for my son's truck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Im trying to do as much of my own stuff as possible.
Last week I yanked the press-in studs, machined down the bosses, threaded for screw-in studs, opened up the pushrod holes and machined the spring pockets for comp cams 26918 beehive springs.

I have all the hardware to assemble them... but need Grimes to do a quick valve job. After he cleans them and grinds the seats, ill do all the rest of the setup/assembly on my workbench.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Lookin' good!  I'm both a gearhead and a hobby machinist (have a Taig 2019 converted to CNC).  How'd you set the height for the stud bases (i.e. what's the zero datum & measurement technique)?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lookin' good!  I'm both a gearhead and a hobby machinist (have a Taig 2019 converted to CNC).  How'd you set the height for the stud bases (i.e. what's the zero datum & measurement technique)?
View Quote

I measured the height of the original studs and subtracted the difference of the new hardware. I ended up taking .422" off the bosses.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I measured the height of the original studs and subtracted the difference of the new hardware. I ended up taking .422" off the bosses.
View Quote

Makes sense -- thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top