Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 8:04:37 PM EDT
I'm trying to see if anyone knows of any places in or near the Prescott area that has good prices on ammo, or more specifically, carries one or more of the following at a reasonable price:

-Hornady 7.62X51 155gr. ELD Match

-7.62X51 surplus ball, not Malaysian

-Prvi Partizan 7.62X51 ball

-Lapua, SAKO, or Finnish surplus 7.62X54R D166

-7.62X54R LVE Extra Match, surplus or commercial (sometimes sold under Wolf's military classic label)

-50-round boxes of Federal HST or Tactical Bonded, 9mm 124-gr.

-American Eagle 9mm, either 124 or 147 grain

-Berdan primers in non-bulk quantities

J&G only has one item on that list.  Walmart in Prescott Valley is inexpensive, but I've never seen most of what I'm looking for there.  Lots of small gun related businesses in the area, but usually those have limited selections and/or high prices, but I've never checked all of them out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Really, unless you need it immediately, why not buy online?

Places like SG Ammo have everything you need with reasonable shipping that cost less than local taxes, and it’s delivered right to your door.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really, unless you need it immediately, why not buy online?

Places like SG Ammo have everything you need with reasonable shipping that cost less than local taxes, and it’s delivered right to your door.
View Quote
Because I live in California, that's why.  But I'll be in Chino Valley for work for a bit and will go shooting with my buddy while I'm out there, but I'm kinda low on everything I'd want to shoot right now, especially the stuff listed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to go anywhere near Phoenix there's a place in Glendale called UN Ammo ( unammo.com ) that's a true no frills bulk ammo store, reasonable prices, no BS. Sorry you have to live in CA, that's rough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Tombstone Tactical in Chino Valley.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're going to go anywhere near Phoenix there's a place in Glendale called UN Ammo ( unammo.com ) that's a true no frills bulk ammo store, reasonable prices, no BS. Sorry you have to live in CA, that's rough.
View Quote
I had no idea Howie had reasonable prices !
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If you buy it online, you could possibly get it delivered to an arfcommers house in Az.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Berdan primers are almost non-existant now that they aren't imported from Russia any more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tombstone Tactical in Chino Valley.
View Quote
Online they have some of what I want.  Don't know what the store in Chino Valley has, but I'll check it out.  I also totally forgot about Sportsman's Warehouse in Prescott.  I used to stop there before or after eating at Fujiyama.  They have the Hornady, it looks like.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Berdan primers are almost non-existant now that they aren't imported from Russia any more.
View Quote
I have a source for the size I need (larger than the standard Berdan Large Rifle that Tula was importing), but I have to order 5,000 or more.  Not sure what country they come from.  But if a place happened to have a smaller amount I could buy, great.  If not, no big deal. I'll eventually get them.  My good 7.62X54R brass is Berdan-primed.  Budget is limited right now, so I try to save where I can.  The better brass options are pricey last I checked.  Even reusing my brass, it's going to be over $1 a round to replicate the D166 load (which is for what my sights are calibrated).
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I bought a bunch of .303 from there online years ago at a decent price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a source for the size I need (larger than the standard Berdan Large Rifle that Tula was importing), but I have to order 5,000 or more.  Not sure what country they come from.  But if a place happened to have a smaller amount I could buy, great.  If not, no big deal. I'll eventually get them.  My good 7.62X54R brass is Berdan-primed.  Budget is limited right now, so I try to save where I can.  The better brass options are pricey last I checked.  Even reusing my brass, it's going to be over $1 a round to replicate the D166 load (which is for what my sights are calibrated).
View Quote
Can you elaborate on reloading berdan primers? I honestly have no knowledge in this and am intrigued. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you elaborate on reloading berdan primers? I honestly have no knowledge in this and am intrigued. Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a Berdan decapper to remove the primers (RCBS makes the tool) instead of the usual method (some people improvise other methods).  The primers are put in the same way as Boxer primers.  There are a wider variety of Berdan primer sizes than Boxer, from what I've seen.  My 7.62X51, 8X56R, 7.5X55, and some .303 British cases use one size of primer.  Most of my .303 uses another size.  And my 7.62X54R uses yet another size.  (IIRC, the diameters are .217, .250, and .254, respectively).

I'm just starting to try to get into reloading, and I want to start with 7.62X54R replicating the Finnish D166 cartridge for my m/39 Mosin-Nagant, which pushes out a 200-grain rebated boat tail bullet to a little over 2300 fps out of a 27" barrel (and which is what the sights are calibrated for).  If I get the dies and supplies, my buddy has everything I need in his reloading room to get started without having to invest in a complete setup first.  Quality 200-grain 7.62X54R ammo of any type is also not available anywhere in my region of CA, and with our stupid ammo laws, that poses a problem.  I'm not going through CA's BS to buy ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top