Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2020 2:36:14 AM EDT
Another cool evening provided some good yote calling.

First stand took a while. Two came running in, one broke off and went into the woods and the other came to the caller. Made about a 75 yard shot.

After about an hour, I moved to another location and within five minutes a pair came across the road to the caller. At first they ran about 45-degrees away from me along a fence line. Then I realized they were headed for perhaps their normal place of crossing. Turned out to be the case... as soon as they went under the fence, they turned back towards me coming hard and fast. A quick bark stopped one... downed him at about 75 yards. I hit the caller as the female was headed away, she stopped, turned and came back. Shot her at about 100 yards. Two down in short order.

Another great night killing yotes.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I always like your hunting posts . And if you don’t mind I like to know all about what equipment you’re using .
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job!  I kill every one I can here in Alachua County.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
I always like your hunting posts . And if you don’t mind I like to know all about what equipment you’re using .
View Quote

I alternate between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. I have found both to be equal in performance according to my needs and application. Of course all the rifles are AR15 home build. Ammo is home rolled, both are loaded with Hornady SST bullets with 6.5 being 123gr and 6.8 being 120 gr. The suppressor is a YHM LT .30 cal.

Optics wise I'm using a Trijicon Hunter Mk III 35mm with an external battery source. I can hunt eight plus hours w/o battery issues.

Callers... I usually use two callers spread apart and about 50-75 yards from my truck. The hunting location, field of fire, and anticipated approach path all play a part in caller location. They are Fox Pro callers and can be activated independently of each other.

I almost always set up in the bed of my truck using the ring turret system that I've posted pics of many times. I also have camo netting that goes around the truck, I use it if I'm hunting just before dark or if the moon is out, like it was last night. The goal is to eliminate any reflection of light off the truck. That's especially important if I'm out in the field vs. pulled nose in to the trees. Sometimes getting under low hanging branches also helps hide most of the truck.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice job!  Disappointed that my schedule didn’t allow me to join you as it looks like I missed a good night.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh don't bother them they are taking a nap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

I alternate between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. I have found both to be equal in performance according to my needs and application. Of course all the rifles are AR15 home build. Ammo is home rolled, both are loaded with Hornady SST bullets with 6.5 being 123gr and 6.8 being 120 gr. The suppressor is a YHM LT .30 cal.

Optics wise I'm using a Trijicon Hunter Mk III 35mm with an external battery source. I can hunt eight plus hours w/o battery issues. 

Callers... I usually use two callers spread apart and about 50-75 yards from my truck. The hunting location, field of fire, and anticipated approach path all play a part in caller location. They are Fox Pro callers and can be activated independently of each other.

I almost always set up in the bed of my truck using the ring turret system that I've posted pics of many times. I also have camo netting that goes around the truck, I use it if I'm hunting just before dark or if the moon is out, like it was last night. The goal is to eliminate any reflection of light off the truck. That's especially important if I'm out in the field vs. pulled nose in to the trees. Sometimes getting under low hanging branches also helps hide most of the truck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
I always like your hunting posts . And if you don’t mind I like to know all about what equipment you’re using .

I alternate between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. I have found both to be equal in performance according to my needs and application. Of course all the rifles are AR15 home build. Ammo is home rolled, both are loaded with Hornady SST bullets with 6.5 being 123gr and 6.8 being 120 gr. The suppressor is a YHM LT .30 cal.

Optics wise I'm using a Trijicon Hunter Mk III 35mm with an external battery source. I can hunt eight plus hours w/o battery issues. 

Callers... I usually use two callers spread apart and about 50-75 yards from my truck. The hunting location, field of fire, and anticipated approach path all play a part in caller location. They are Fox Pro callers and can be activated independently of each other.

I almost always set up in the bed of my truck using the ring turret system that I've posted pics of many times. I also have camo netting that goes around the truck, I use it if I'm hunting just before dark or if the moon is out, like it was last night. The goal is to eliminate any reflection of light off the truck. That's especially important if I'm out in the field vs. pulled nose in to the trees. Sometimes getting under low hanging branches also helps hide most of the truck.

hornady sst has been a game changer. i had a doe this past year do a back flip (probably from the appreciation that i forgot my hornady sst at home and had to buy both boxes a mom and pop store in north alabama had @ $35 a box) when hit. she never moved again. i think in the last 10 years and 50-ish deer (between 3 of us using sst ammo) one deer managed about 40 yards down hill from impact. the rest never made it more than 10 yards. two of us use .308 and one uses a .270, the .270 is the one that ran / tumbled 40 yards.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Oh don't bother them they are taking a nap.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top