Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 5:39:45 PM EDT
What is there to do, see and avoid between DFW airport and Malakoff?

Only there for three days on business so just looking for suggestions on how to fill my afternoons/evenings off with Texas goodness.

ETA- I’m back, thanks to all. AAR somewhere below.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd avoid the southern part of Dallas if possible.  Not sure if there is anything to see in there either except traffic
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You can go to The Lodge for surf and turf.  

Nick and Sam’s is a nice steak house. Surprisingly good sushi too.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Use to work for City of Corsicana, which is just southwest of Malakoff on Hwy 31.

Check out Collin Street Bakery. Their a local bakery that does actually tasty fruitcake. Tons of celebrities, including Presidents and Astronauts, have eaten their fruit cake. Two locations in Corsicana. The downtown one might close around 5pm, but there is one off I45 open later.

Brick Street Brewery opened after I left, but I helped on their parking lot design. They're in downtown Corsicana. Neat little downtown, but similar to any other slowly dying rural town. Wolf Chili is from Corsicana. There's a statue to take a look at.

If you go back to DFW Airport on Hwy 287, you can hit Waxahachie. There's two breweries there, but I've only tried Railport Brewery.

Outside of drinking and eating, not much else to think of. I've driven up and down I45 in that area and nothing significant to mention.

If my house and property were finished, I would have invited you over to Waxahachie to shoot some and maybe have a beer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
This would be kind of a long shot, but check out Lake Richland Chambers. See if there's a guide available in the evening for sand bass and hybrids. I don't keep up with it anymore, but we used to kill it every time we went out there. Seriously, we'd get on the schools, wait for them to turn on, and you couldn't take fish off the hook fast enough. Every cast for 10 - 15 minutes produced a fish, then you'd sit 20 - 30 minutes and you'd be on them again.

Again, I haven't been on it on a while, but this website https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php was the like the ar15.com of Texas fishing.

A bad day was coming home with 12 fish in the boat.

There's also a drive in movie theater in Ennis if that's your thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I’M BACK! Thank for all the suggestions.

We ended up visiting Dealey Plaza and the JFK assignation museum. I never realized the incredibly short range between the 6th floor “sniper’s nest”  and the X on the road in front of the “Grassy Knoll”. Documentaries always make it seem like such a long distance/impossible-shot. We also visited the Dinosaur Valley State Park and went wadding in the Paluxy River. We had a GREAT time doing that. We drank Texas Silver Whiskey (made in Ft. Worth) and ate at every Tex-Mex taco joint at every gas station, strip plaza and hole in the wall location we could find. Splurged on a good steak Saturday night. We met a lot of really nice people. Everywhere we went, people were friendly and helpful. I cant wait to see more of Texas.

You all have a wonderful State. Don’t let the Leftists take it over and destroy it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’M BACK! Thank for all the suggestions.

We ended up visiting Dealey Plaza and the JFK assignation museum. I never realized the incredibly short range between the 6th floor “sniper’s nest”  and the X on the road in front of the “Grassy Knoll”. Documentaries always make it seem like such a long distance/impossible-shot. We also visited the Dinosaur Valley State Park and went wadding in the Paluxy River. We had a GREAT time doing that. We drank Texas Silver Whiskey (made in Ft. Worth) and ate at every Tex-Mex taco joint at every gas station, strip plaza and hole in the wall location we could find. Splurged on a good steak Saturday night. We met a lot of really nice people. Everywhere we went, people were friendly and helpful. I cant wait to see more of Texas.

You all have a wonderful State. Don’t let the Leftists take it over and destroy it.
View Quote

You did well OP!! From DFW you drove through my old stomping grounds on the way to the Paluxy river. From there southward you would be heading toward the Texas Hill Country. Another 1.5 hours and you're there. I'm glad you made it before the temps got up to 300 degrees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top