Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2023 3:25:08 PM EDT
Ok. I'm coming from Iowa to Chicago may 5th. Daughter and her friend bought some concert tickets for some k pop show at the Allstate arena.  Were leaving early and probably do some site seeing before dropping them off at the concert.  May get a hotel, but what's a reasonable priced hotel not too far from the arena?  Don't want to end up somewhere shady.

Is there areas of Chicago we should stay away from?  And what area are good for site seeing?  

Me being from Iowa, can I carry concealed in Chicago?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You cannot legally carry in Chicago.
Sty away from the South and West sides of the city.
Nothing to see there anyways.

Unfortunately anything goes in the once great City of Chicago.
Nowhere is truly safe anymore. A couple of weekends ago there was a "wilding"
incident on and around Michigan Ave
Thanks to social media hundreds of feral youts descended and beat people up, damaged
cars and looted businesses.
The new mayor is a big defund the police stooge, so he defended the animals.
The CPD is way understaffed , morale at an all time low.

If you're dead set on seeing the city, do it before it gets dark.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The arena is in Rosemont, that a few minutes from O'Hare. If you want to sight see in Chicago, just take 90 into the city, Uber would probably be a good choice, hang out in thee Loop and head back. Museum campus, Soldier Field, Lakefront is safe enough. Parking is crazy expensive. Have a good time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah Allstate Arena is not Chicago. Hotels in Rosemont vary wildly due to being mostly convention centers. Any of the surrounding suburbs would have nice rooms for less than $100 including Schaumburg,  Elk Grove Village, and Arlington Heights.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You cannot legally carry in Chicago.
Sty away from the South and West sides of the city.
Nothing to see there anyways.

Unfortunately anything goes in the once great City of Chicago.
Nowhere is truly safe anymore. A couple of weekends ago there was a "wilding"
incident on and around Michigan Ave
Thanks to social media hundreds of feral youts descended and beat people up, damaged
cars and looted businesses.
The new mayor is a big defund the police stooge, so he defended the animals.
The CPD is way understaffed , morale at an all time low.

If you're dead set on seeing the city, do it before it gets dark.
View Quote

Actually, if you have an Iowa concealed carry permit, you can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

From the Illinois State Police website:

Non-residents are not required to have an Illinois FOID
card but must be legally eligible to possess or acquire
firearms and ammunition as determined by their home
state. In order to comply with Illinois statutes while
transporting a firearm, it must be:

1. Broken down in a non-functioning state; or
2. Not immediately accessible; or
3. Unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm
carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
4. A non-resident who has a valid Concealed
Carry License from their home state may carry
a concealed firearm within a vehicle traveling
through Illinois
. If the non-resident leaves
the vehicle unattended, the firearm must be
stored concealed in a case inside the locked
vehicle or locked container within the vehicle
out of plain view. For the purpose of subsection
430 ILCS 66/65(b), a “case” includes a glove
compartment or console that completely
encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition,
the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying
box, shipping box, or other container

As stated by another poster, Chicago is not like it was four years ago. Up until then, there were definite 'good' areas and 'bad' areas.

Downtown/Loop/Mag Mile were once sacrosanct. Even the thugs left each other alone there. Now, it is dodge city.

As to being able to have a weapon in your vehicle, a note of caution:

My mom lives in a 'good' neighborhood and I went this past Dec to visit and my car was broken into. Nothing was stolen from the vehicle (and nothing was left in plain view to tempt folks...I am from Chicago; I know better). My local peeps told me that thieves are now breaking into cars specifically looking for guns. I had about $7 in change down in a console compartment and the thieves did not take a penny.

Lastly,

some tips to help you enjoy your visit:

Make sure you try an Italian beef sandwich at Portillos and/or some deep dish pizza at Geno's East (the one on Superior St) or Lou Malnati's...

be out only during daylight hours

keep your head on a swivel

look like a HARD target  -- > Act like you know how to handle your business -- > look folks directly in the eye. Look like a predator, not prey

make sure your party does not have their heads stuck in their phones

If folks ask you for the time, look em in the eye and say you don't have the time

don't give money to pan handlers

If it does not feel right, it probably aint

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m staying in Rosemont this weekend. My son is competing on the NAQT Scholastic bowl nationals, or I wouldn’t visit this part of the state. The Hyatt is decent and seems pretty safe. Everything is expensive. I paid $30 for two mixed drinks at the hotel bar last night.

Giradonos has good Chicago style pizza and delivers. Try Portillo’s, they have good everything, the chocolate cake is awesome. I don’t care about seeing the sites here, mainly because the traffic sucks and the traffic control in the construction areas is a nightmare and we are here to see the kid compete.

Personally, I’d get a decent hotel and hang around there except for the concert. Have food delivered. Keep your head on a swivel. IMHO, Chicago is the worst part of the state.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m staying in Rosemont this weekend. My son is competing on the NAQT Scholastic bowl nationals, or I wouldn’t visit this part of the state. The Hyatt is decent and seems pretty safe. Everything is expensive. I paid $430 for two mixed drinks at the hotel bar last night.

Giradonos has good Chicago style pizza and delivers. Try Portillo’s, they have good everything, the chocolate cake is awesome. I don’t care about seeing the sites here, mainly because the traffic sucks and the traffic control in the construction areas is a nightmare and we are here to see the kid compete.

Personally, I’d get a decent hotel and hang around there except for the concert. Have food delivered. Keep your head on a swivel. IMHO, Chicago is the worst part of the state.

View Quote

I would like to drink with you one night.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're military you could stay at Great Lakes Navy base, about 45min north of O'Hare
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay away from Chicago

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would like to drink with you one night.
View Quote

Definitely a typo. $30 for two drinks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're military you could stay at Great Lakes Navy base, about 45min north of O'Hare
View Quote

I'd just stay at the hyatt next to rosemont horizon.  Walking bridges take you right over.

yeah, you can save $50 a night, but driving from gl to rosemont isn't worth it, unless you wanna stop at little vietnam for some dim sum at furama.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
stay near rosemont areas like some have stated , plenty of places around to stay that wont be too pricey.

L-train is sketchy to use now"a"days so I wouldn't recommend that to come to chicago. Driving wont be good cause parking is expensive & even if you pay for parking , not guaranteed they wont break into your car even inside paid parking garages.

plenty of spots to visit early in the day , We live close to downtown near the white sox stadium & wont go downtown for nothing , not worth the hassle since we've been there & done that.

but ........... there is places to see & eat at , take an uber/lyft enjoy & uber/lyft it back
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
If you’re staying in Rosemont, plenty to eat out there. Portillo’s and the pizza places are out there.

Don’t go into Shitcago. I live in the NW suburbs and refuse to go there now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone suggested Hyatt. Dont stay there. Owned by the Pricksters.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you’re staying in Rosemont, plenty to eat out there. Portillo’s and the pizza places are out there.

Don’t go into Shitcago. I live in the NW suburbs and refuse to go there now.
View Quote

Daughter wants to eat at a good pizza place. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're staying in Rosemont, plenty to eat out there. Portillo's and the pizza places are out there.

Don't go into Shitcago. I live in the NW suburbs and refuse to go there now.

deep dish it's Pequods

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#16]
portillo's combo sandwich easy dip with hot peppers. chocolate cake shake for dessert.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top